Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS > Toxic air in gyms and the dangers of air fresheners

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James, Group Founder (last edited Jul 08, 2016 10:22PM) (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments This is why I am cancelling my gym membership, guys...better to train outdoors is my new thinking...

Air Quality and Toxins in Fitness Centers -- https://www.bulletproofexec.com/anoth...

How Some Gyms Are Very Dangerous To Health and How They Might Even Eventually Kill You -- http://healthwyze.org/reports/287-how...

7 Toxins That Could Kill Your Workouts -- http://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_DietAn...

Breathing problems since chemical air freshener installed in gym --
http://ehealthforum.com/health/breath...

Air Fresheners Can be Toxic to Lungs and Health -- http://martin5scott517.blogcindario.c...

Excerpt from this last article above:

Chemical Composition of Commercial Air Fresheners Lead to Indoor Air Pollution

Most commercial air fresheners contain a long list of chemicals including propane, butane, ethanol, benzene, formaldehyde, acetone, and methanol. Add in the other volatile and flammable ingredients, and breathing this chemical cocktail is worse than breathing the original smell.

Cans of air freshener are becoming old-fashioned. Plug-in units either heat scented liquids or disperse pressurized chemicals until the vapors fill the room. Battery-operated units have built-in automatic aerosol mechanisms. Solid air fresheners, which don't need an outlet or a battery, dissolve into vapor over time.

No matter the mechanism, these air fresheners work the same way. The artificial fragrances mask the odors, while the chemicals coat nasal passages and diminish the sense of smell by deadening the olfactory nerves. Worse, because the ingredients are airborne, they add to indoor air pollution, causing people to breathe in the chemicals with each breath.

message 2: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Here's a 1-minute video on the subject...

Your Gym Might Have Toxic Air -- https://www.goodreads.com/videos/1056...

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith (faymorrow) | 309 comments Wait. What?

My whole Febreze air fresheners life has been a lie?

*tears*

This is kind of peculiar.

message 4: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Febreze is nasty like virtually all those chemical air "fresheners". Even cats and dogs have been reported to become sick around Febreze. If you look it up, that product has loads of extreme chemicals including even neurotoxins (harming the brain).

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith (faymorrow) | 309 comments Uh oh... shoot.

Do you know of any air fresheners made with natural ingedients? Or any better alternatives?

message 6: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments Fay wrote: "Uh oh... shoot.

Do you know of any air fresheners made with natural ingedients? Or any better alternatives?"

Use incense and scented candles! :)

message 7: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments That just gave me a weird image of bodybuilders surrounded by incense candles :)

message 8: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2837 comments Fay wrote: "Uh oh... shoot.

Do you know of any air fresheners made with natural ingedients? Or any better alternatives?"

How about fresh air?

message 9: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Lance Morcan wrote: "How about fresh air?"

Companies cannot patent this thing called "fresh air"...

message 10: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments James Morcan wrote: "Lance Morcan wrote: "How about fresh air?"

Companies cannot patent this thing called "fresh air"..."

Oh yes they can... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-ne...

message 11: by Sash (new)

Sash Chiesa  | 26 comments What the......? Oh Gawdddddd! This is the last thing I'd want to know. Gym;(((((((((((

message 12: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments Lance Morcan wrote: "How about fresh air?"

I heard they're planning to replace oxygen with Febreze.

message 13: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Sash wrote: "What the......? Oh Gawdddddd! This is the last thing I'd want to know. Gym;((((((((((("

Yeah, it's kinda depressing, if that's what you meant...

message 14: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Harry wrote: "Lance Morcan wrote: "How about fresh air?"

I heard they're planning to replace oxygen with Febreze."

Harry, that article you posted headlined ''British businessman make a fortune selling FRESH AIR to the Chinese" makes me hope they captured the British air from the countryside and not London...

message 15: by Harry (last edited Jul 11, 2016 04:13PM) (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments James Morcan wrote: "Harry, that article you posted headlined ''British businessman make a fortune selling FRESH AIR to the Chinese" makes me hope they captured the British air from the countryside and not London... ..."

Seeing as pollution kills up to 9000 people a year in London, you can buy that canned fresh air at a reasonable discounted price.

message 16: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments Harry wrote: "James Morcan wrote: "Harry, that article you posted headlined ''British businessman make a fortune selling FRESH AIR to the Chinese" makes me hope they captured the British air from the countryside..."

I bought a can of air in Sweden in the 80s....still have it....sounds like it may be worth good money :)

message 17: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments Lisa wrote: "Harry wrote: "James Morcan wrote: "Harry, that article you posted headlined ''British businessman make a fortune selling FRESH AIR to the Chinese" makes me hope they captured the British air from t..."

I've got some old beer cans I could fill up with air for you if you want to buy some more.

message 18: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments Harry wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Harry wrote: "James Morcan wrote: "Harry, that article you posted headlined ''British businessman make a fortune selling FRESH AIR to the Chinese" makes me hope they captured the Briti..."

No British air for me, thank you....I'm going to Iceland to box cans and start a business!

message 19: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm going to Iceland to box cans and start a business! .."

That's not a bad idea!

Damn, I won't be able to do that myself since Brexit...

message 20: by James, Group Founder (last edited Jul 11, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Lisa wrote: "I bought a can of air in Sweden in the 80s....still have it....sounds like it may be worth good money :) ..."

That would've come in handy in 1986 after Chernobyl...Especially when Northerly winds drifted up from Ukraine...

I just had a vision of you in 1986:

Deep breath from your can of air...Then you scream "Damn those Soviets!"...Another deep breath of your 'fresh air' from a can...Then you yell "Damn you, Gorbachev, you son of a bitch!" ... Then inhale more Febreze, I mean 'fresh air'...sorry, my mistake.

message 21: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Harry wrote: "Damn, I won't be able to do that myself since Brexit... ..."

Well maybe if you'd released some Febreze and other toxic "air fresheners" into pro-UKIP neighbourhoods, Britain would never have exited the EU. In fact, maybe that's what Nigel Farage did in reverse: He planted automatic air fresheners throughout immigrant communities in order to eugenically eradicate enough to sway the referendum...

message 22: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments James Morcan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I bought a can of air in Sweden in the 80s....still have it....sounds like it may be worth good money :) ..."

That would've come in handy in 1986 after Chernobyl...Especially when Nor..."

Lol. You're funny!

I got some cans of "air" on sale for a limited time only for employees of the biopreparat.....and if you're nice (or not nice), I'll prepare one specifically for you, James....and one for Harry too (these will have a double layer of tinfoil)

message 23: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2837 comments Harry wrote: "Lance Morcan wrote: "How about fresh air?"

I heard they're planning to replace oxygen with Febreze."

How about all the hot air generated by this group? (The group founders could make a fortune).

message 24: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Lisa wrote: "I got some cans of "air" on sale for a limited time only for employees of the biopreparat.....and if you're nice (or not nice), I'll prepare one specifically for you, James....and one for Harry too (these will have a double layer of tinfoil)...."

Who gets the double layer of tinfoil? And are you sure that's enough for our tinfoil hats, Lisa?
Maybe triple it, just to be sure!

message 25: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments James Morcan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I got some cans of "air" on sale for a limited time only for employees of the biopreparat.....and if you're nice (or not nice), I'll prepare one specifically for you, James....and one ..."

No need, James.....i have my own tinfoil recipe which is already tenfold the strength of a regular tinfoil......my brand name is Conspirafoil. ...especially made for the likes of you and Harry.....with it, you don't need to worry about any fumes. ....they'll be blocked before entering the nasal pathways.

message 26: by Eye Books (new)

Eye Books (eye-books) | 2 comments It's reminiscent of when they first banned smoking on aeroplanes: the quality of the air in the cabins actually dropped, because they felt less of a need to condition it, so more people started to get sick after long haul flights. If the air doesn't actually smell bad, people accept it as OK.

Which in turn is like: "What the eye doesn't see, the chef gets away with." Fawlty Towers

message 27: by Laurence (new)

Laurence De | 3 comments Gym! whaasat?

message 28: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Eye Books wrote: "Which in turn is like: "What the eye doesn't see, the chef gets away with." Fawlty Towers ..."

I remember that line delivered by the chef in Fawlty Towers...It followed the moment where they dropped the meat on the floor, picked it up then prepared it for a meal! Gross!

message 29: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Lisa wrote: "No need, James.....i have my own tinfoil recipe which is already tenfold the strength of a regular tinfoil......my brand name is Conspirafoil. ...especially made for the likes of you and Harry.....with it, you don't need to worry about any fumes. ....they'll be blocked before entering the nasal pathways...."

Conspirafoil...bloody brilliant!

message 30: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments James Morcan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "No need, James.....i have my own tinfoil recipe which is already tenfold the strength of a regular tinfoil......my brand name is Conspirafoil. ...especially made for the likes of you a..."

C-foil for short

message 31: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Laurence wrote: "Gym! whaasat?"

It's a place where animals go - more like a zoo actually.

You'll see what I mean if you watch this video:

GYM WILDLIFE -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQ...

p.s. Guys, if you want a laugh, check out this video! Really funny!

Philippa Níc Samhradháin | 2 comments This is sad, I keep on seeing things everyday that you just wouldn't think twice that it is harmful to your health! Can't trust any products with all these bad chemicals :(. I have stopped using a lot of thing's including deodorants and skincare products :) now air fresheners will be out the door ;)

message 33: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments James Morcan wrote: "Laurence wrote: "Gym! whaasat?"
It's a place where animals go - more like a zoo actually.
You'll see what I mean if you watch this video:
GYM WILDLIFE -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo..."

Ha! That vid's really funny. :)

message 34: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 1745 comments Lisa wrote: "James Morcan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I got some cans of "air" on sale for a limited time only for employees of the biopreparat.....and if you're nice (or not nice), I'll prepare one specifically for y..."

I'll take a dozen cans of Conspirafoil please Lisa.

message 35: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

message 36: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I only exercise to the scent of Blackglama mink and Chanel No 5!