Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Sturm
This topic is about Sturm
Book Issues > Please combine books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (last edited Jul 08, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments I am the translator of this title. Two versions are listed (paperback and Kindle ebook) -- could you combine them? (Though I am now an "author" on Goodreads, I do not seem to have this combo ability, since I am the translator and NOT the primary author?)

Thank you!!

message 2: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4937 comments Combined.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14886 comments Alexis wrote: "Though I am now an "author" on Goodreads, I do not seem to have this combo ability, since I am the translator and NOT the primary author?"

Correct.

message 4: by Alexis (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments Thank you!

message 5: by Alexis (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments Hi, Dobby -- Sorry to be a pain, but the book seems to be even harder to find now. When I search "Jünger Sturm" it does not appear (but the French and Italian translations do appear). When I search the ISBN -- 0914386549/978-0914386544-- I come to a mostly blank entry with the author's name misspelled and no book cover.

Could you help??

Alexis

message 6: by Dobby (last edited Jul 08, 2016 05:11PM) (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4937 comments Working on it...

I fixed the edition with the misspelled author name, ISBN 9780914386544, with information found on WorldCat: Sturm. I merged the duplicate that had been created (without the ISBNs), then combined that with the other editions. You can find it now with an ISBN search or a title search (Sturm), or an author search (Ernst Jünger).

That should take care of it. :-)

message 7: by Alexis (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments Dobby, thank you so much, you're amazing!!

I'm still not sure why the book doesn't appear if you search on "Jünger Sturm" (all), when all other relevant titles do (including Sebastian Jünger's Perfect Storm...!)

Is there any way to correct that>

message 8: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4937 comments It's there, Alexis. Select the book title from the search results, then scroll down until you see it.

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments Hi again -- Thanks for your help so far! Is there a way that you can fix the entry so that it appears when someone searches "Sturm Jünger"? Currently, the original German and two translations (French and Italian) appear, but not my English translation....

message 10: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4937 comments Please see Message #8. Follow these steps:

1. Perform the search as you indicated, "Sturm Jünger." The title
    you want, Sturm, shows 15 editions.

2. Select the "15 editions" link to display a list of those editions.

3. In the upper right on the page is a toggle link: "expand details"
    or "collapse details." If you see "expand details," select it to
    display author names, ISBNs, and more.

4. Scroll down to the specific edition you want.

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments Dobby0390 wrote: "Please see Message #8. Follow these steps:

1. Perform the search as you indicated, "Sturm Jünger." The title
    you want, Sturm, shows 15 editions.

2. Select the "15 editions" link to display a..."

Hi, Dobby! I see that it's searchable, but it's not easily searchable. If the records are tagged correctly, they should come up with the intuitive search ("Sturm Jünger") that yields the original and the other two translations.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments the search function lists the most shelved edition of a book in the search results, which in this case is

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

to find other editions you need to follow Dobby instructions in msg 10

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14886 comments As Paula says, the search function should only show the most shelved edition. The two translations that also showed up, weren't combined with the main edition. I have now combined them.

message 14: by lethe (last edited Jul 20, 2016 10:43AM) (new)

lethe | 14886 comments Alexis, I see that you changed a Kindle edition into a paperback. Please never remove valid information from an existing edition. Add a new edition instead. I'm reverting the changes you made. Again.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 15: by Alexis (last edited Jul 20, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Alexis P. | 7 comments Yes, sorry -- I'm finding the system very hard to use. My goal is to lead people to the print version of the new (and only) English translation; print is still very much the primary medium for our audience. I believe Dobby combined the print and Kindle versions at my request, but, currently, the Kindle edition is the only version linked to my author page, and both versions are really buried on the Goodreads site -- the way the cataloging is set up, no one who does not already know to hunt for it would be able to find it. Also, for both entries, some information (e.g., pagination) is incorrect, and reviews that refer to entirely different versions of Jünger's texts are attached to it.

It might be that Goodreads is just not the right forum for it, but I thought some people would be interested in the new text -- and my publisher is VERY interested in helping people find it... ;)

message 16: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14886 comments The editions are combined and therefore both linked to your author page.

As Paula already explained, the most shelved edition (of the English translation) will show on your author profile. The Kindle edition has been shelved by 4 people already, the paperback edition by 2.

Goodreads users are familiar with the system, they know how to find the edition they need. New users learn pretty quickly as well.

Also, for both entries, some information (e.g., pagination) is incorrect, and reviews that refer to entirely different versions of Jünger's texts are attached to it.

Since all editions of a book are combined, reviews show on all editions, but it is possible to filter for a particular edition, and if the review belongs to another edition, it will show a link.

The Kindle pagination is the same as on Amazon (96). Worldcat (more reliable for print copies) gives 50 unnumbered introductory pages and 63 main pages for the paperback: http://www.worldcat.org/title/sturm/o...
Introductory pages are not counted on Goodreads if they are unnumbered or in Roman numerals, so it would appear that 63 is correct.

message 17: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14886 comments Alexis wrote: "the way the cataloging is set up, no one who does not already know to hunt for it would be able to find it."

Forgot to add, Goodreads is first and foremost a site for people to catalogue and discuss the books they read (and/or own). Of course people can also discover books here, but it was never intended as a bookstore.