Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Sins of the Past
This topic is about Sins of the Past
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Buddy Reads > BR: Sins of the Past by Dee Henderson, Dani Pettrey, Lynette Eason (July 2016)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9776 comments Mod
Three Novellas from Bestselling Authors
In Dee Henderson's "Missing," a Wyoming sheriff is called to Chicago when his elderly mother goes missing. Paired with a savvy Chicago cop, the two realize her disappearance is no accident, and a race against the clock begins.
Dani Pettrey returns to Alaska with "Shadowed," introducing readers to the parents of her beloved McKenna clan. Adventure, romance, and danger collide when a young fisherman nets the body of an open-water swimming competitor who may actually be a possible Russian defector.
Lynette Eason's "Blackout" delivers the story of a woman once implicated in a robbery gone wrong. The loot has never been found--but her memory of that night has always been unreliable. Can she remember enough to find her way to safety when the true culprit comes after her?

Abbi Excited to read this one with you! My weekend was crazy but I'm hoping to get started ASAP!

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Me too!

Abbi Due to a sleepy kid and a stroke of luck I was able to finish the first novella this afternoon (I just kinda assumed we'd be doing a novella at a time)! Looking forward to discussing!

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wow! That was fast! :) I'm going to try my best to have the first one finished tonight. :D

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

About 1/3 of the way done with the first novella. Finishing up within the next couple hours. :)

message 7: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

On chapter 5. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm finished with the first novella! I guess I'll start the discussion, since I'm on?

I didn't expect the reason behind her being missing. Eric doesn't seem like he had bad intentions and I kind of feel sorry for him. On the other hand, I feel even worse for John and the pain her being missing put him through...even though she wasn't in any real danger, he didn't know that.

I'm glad that John decided to put family first and it sounds like he is moving back to be closer to his mom.

Abbi Sorry for the delay in reply-Goodreads doesn't like to notify me.

I totally called that Eric was somehow involved but I didn't guess the reasoning behind it. I thought his motives were a little odd but then it was interesting circumstances.

I liked that he was putting family first, though his decision did seem a bit rushed, but since it's a novella most things do end up feeling rushed.

I used to love this author but her latest books I haven't enjoyed at all so I was a bit wary about her novella. The start seemed way to fact filled but as it went on I found it pretty decent. It really gave me a crime drama vibe which was kinda fun.

I wish the romance had been a little more developed but I was glad that they didn't just suddenly make it a big thing which would have seemed so fake.

It was interesting to see the way they pieced the clues together and that felt pretty realistic to me.

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

His decision definitely seemed rushed! In fact, the whole ending had a rushed feel to me; but, as you said, with it being a novella, you kind of expect it to be somewhat rushed. :/

Yeah, I've only read one of Dee Henderson's newer novels (I can't recall the title, but it was the first one she did after her long break) and I didn't like it that much, so I haven't read any others yet. This novella did have a crime drama feel and I also found that fun.

YES! I'm glad that the romance ended the way it did and wasn't that big of a deal.

I agree. The way the case was investigated felt genuine. And some of the things they did were so smart!!

Is it bad that I can't think of anything else to discuss about this novella?? I'm just drawing a blank... lol. :/

message 11: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Her earlier novels are amazing and I was so disappointed with her new books.

I can't think of anything either so it's not just you! Ready to start the next one? I can't wait for this story!!

message 12: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree! I loved her O'Malley novels!

Yep! I'm ready to read the next one -- super excited, since it's Dani Pettrey's novella!! :D

message 13: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi All done with Dani's novella! Loved it!

message 14: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nice! My weekend didn't go at all how I planned...didn't even start the novella. :( Will get it read hopefully before this weekend!

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Ok no rush! If you want you can go ahead and start the discussion whenever you finish.

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ugh. I'm sorry for the delay. I will have the novella done by tonight. Want to start the discussion now and I'll join in as soon as I finish?

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi That's fine! I've been busy too!

I loved this novella! It was so much fun seeing the story behind the start of the McKenna clan! It was very easy to see where they got their adventuress nature from!

Ben and Libby's first meeting was quite entertaining and I loved watching the sparks fly between them from the very start!

message 18: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I loved it too! I agree that seeing how the clan started was so fun! I loved the way they met and, yes, I can definitely see where their children got their adventurous natures from. :D

Me too!!

I loved the meaning behind the ships name. At first, I thought it a little strange, but once he explained it, I thought it was actually cool. :)

It was quite smart of Kat to hide the clue/paper in her swimming cap...and to have a decoy chip in her watch that the bad guys would think had the information they wanted.

I absolutely loved that last scene where they talk about future kids and how they won't be able to tell them the real story of how they met...at least we get to know it. lol ;) Also, hearing them discuss how many kids they want was sweet because of the way they wanted five, a full handful, and that's what they ended up having. :D

message 19: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hope you don't mind, but I'll probably finish the final novella this weekend. (I want to use it for a monthly challenge that ends August 1st)

I'm still here to discuss the second one whenever you have the time. :)

message 20: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I'm so sorry! I've been literally non-stop busy and what little down time I had I was rushing to finish a book I forgot was due by the end of the month. Right now my brain is barely functioning so I'll have to wait to discuss but absolutely finish the book!

message 21: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

No worries! Discuss whenever you aren't so busy and exhausted. :)

message 22: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Ok finally have a second to breathe and think-lol! Sorry again about the wait!

I did the same thing with the boat name-it confused me at first but then when he explained it I thought it was pretty cool.

That was really smart!

I loved that scene! It was adorable!

I found it fun how it was set during the Cold War, you don't read many stories that take place during that time!

I loved when they went to the place of the future McKenna home! It was a cute scene and it was cool to think of them planning it out together!

Elliot was an interesting character and it would have been fun to figure out his story. I was glad he ended up pulling through!

message 23: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Ok finally have a second to breathe and think-lol! Sorry again about the wait!

I did the same thing with the boat name-it confused me at first but then when he explained it I thought it was pretty cool.

That was really smart!

I loved that scene! It was adorable!

I found it fun how it was set during the Cold War, you don't read many stories that take place during that time!

I loved when they went to the place of the future McKenna home! It was a cute scene and it was cool to think of them planning it out together!

Elliot was an interesting character and it would have been fun to figure out his story. I was glad he ended up pulling through!

message 24: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sorry for the duplicate! Don't know what happened!

message 25: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is interesting that it was set during then. I can't really think of any books I've read that have been set during the Cold War.

I love that too!!

Me too!

That's all I can think of to discuss on that novella. :/ I loved it, but just don't have anything else to say, lol! ;)

message 26: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Haha same here! I'll try to get the last one done soon!

message 27: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi So I finished this a bit ago but completely forgot to come discuss! Sorry! Do you still want to discuss this one?

message 28: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

We don't have to. :) ...Did you like it?

message 29: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Haha took me a minute to even remember what it was about! I've been really busy and having to cram some books in so I had to actually stop and think to recall this one!
I did enjoy it! It was probably my second fav out of the collection (Dani's won by a landslide)! Did you like it?

message 30: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I know what you mean!

Yeah, I liked it (more than I thought I would). I had kind of given up on Eason's books, just 'cause for a while it seemed like every book ended the same way (with the villain getting killed), so I'm glad this one didn't. :) LOL!

Dani's was definitely my favorite by far too. :D

message 31: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah her books have been getting rather cookie cutter of late! But this one was enjoyable!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.