2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
This topic is about When Maidens Mourn
When Maidens Mourn > Question P

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Gabrielle and Hero connected on many levels, one being their commitment to staying unmarried. Did they both have the same underlying reasons for their points of view? Do you think Gabrielle's change in her relationship with Arceneaux may have been inspired by Hero getting married?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I did not get the sense that Gabrielle's relationship with Arceneaux was that recent, a matter of days or weeks, with respect to Hero. I didn't understand that either of them had confessed they'd no longer been "maidens" to each other.

I wanted to think it was Gabrielle's realization of her love for Arceneaux that came to a natural intimate connection. According to Gibson, perhaps this was when she first experienced a stronger symptom of epilepsy.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments While Gabrielle and Hero did share a friendship, there was also a great deal that they did not confide in one another.

Gabrielle kept her relationship with Arceneaux and her epilepsy secret from Hero, while Hero kept her relationship with Sebastian and her pregnancy to herself as well. There are some secrets that one does not reveal even to a close friend.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
It was an interesting contrast, these two. While they shared so much in common, it doesn't appear that they ever had a heartfelt discussion on a deeply personal level. Gabrielle must have been equally surprised about Hero's marriage. Maybe that would have been their discussion during their meeting that was scheduled the morning her body was discovered.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Maybe that would have been their discussion during their meeting that was scheduled the morning her body was discovered. "

I think it was. So sad that they never got take that extra step in their friendship.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I know, they could have been each other's support system.

Joanna | 139 comments I don't think Gabrielle and Arceneaux's relationship had anything to do with Hero's decision. Gabrielle just happened to find someone she fell in love with.
As far as their reason for not marrying, I think neither wanted to be enslaved to an authoritarian husband. However, each had other very different reasons for wanting to avoid marriage.