2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

When Maidens Mourn > Question O

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 12, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Hildeyard's murder of Gabrielle could be considered a crime of passion. How does someone like him then take the next step to cold bloodedly plan to murder two children? Was this believable? Were you suspicious when he launched such an expansive search for George and Alfred?

message 2: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 605 comments Yes. He was my number one suspect except I wasn't entirely sure why he had done it. The epilepsy came as a surprise towards the end.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
It takes a really twisted person to kill a child, even back then. I wish we'd learned more about Hildeyard because this was beyond a cover up and desperation.

message 4: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I really did not connect his desires to rise to some power by an engagement and marriage with the idea that his sister had become a threat. The epilepsy was also a total surprise to me. I'd supposed the wasting disease was consumption or something like that.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Sebastian explained it quite well that Hildeyard put his own selfish desires above the life of his sister and cousins.

Yes, his taking the next step to killing the boys was believable. Once someone has taken that first step and killed, killing again is easier.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Sebastian explained it quite well that Hildeyard put his own selfish desires above the life of his sister and cousins.

Yes, his taking the next step to killing the boys was believable. Once someo..."

I agree, that totally makes sense. After killing his sister, who I believe he did love, I think the humanity in him was gone.

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 139 comments Lauren wrote: "Sebastian explained it quite well that Hildeyard put his own selfish desires above the life of his sister and cousins.

Yes, his taking the next step to killing the boys was believable. Once someo..."

I totally agree. My thoughts exactly.