2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
This topic is about When Maidens Mourn
When Maidens Mourn > Question F

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Amelia tells Sebastian his real father was a groom. Do you believe her?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I'm not sure. Jamie Knox says that his mother told him his father, and presumably Sebastian's as well, was a cavalry captain. Someone is wrong, or perhaps both are, or maybe a former cavalry captain ends up working as a groom several years after leaving the military. It's a puzzle.

message 3: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 12, 2016 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Knox said, "According to the woman who raised me, Nellie said her baby’s da could’ve been either an English lord, a Welsh captain, or a Gypsy stableboy."

I recall in the first book, Sebastian's strange abilities (acute hearing and night vision) were as a result of a specific syndrome found in people of Welsh descent. I think Amanda is wrong, but maybe not doing so intentionally. She may have witnessed her mother having sex with the groom but there may have been others during the same timeframe.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I'd forgotten the Welsh reference from the first book. Amanda, unfortunately, witnessed her mother's indiscretions and the groom might have been Rom, but he may not have been the father.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments The groom and the captain could be one and the same. Regardless, Amanda is a vindictive and spiteful woman whose meanness of spirit might just come back to bite her at some point.

I found the juxtaposition of the brother/sister pairs (Amanda and Sebastian / Hildeyard and Gabrielle) interesting. I'm sure Amanda would love to kill her brother if she had the chance.

That's an interesting observation, Lauren. Hildeyard and Gabrielle, for all appearances, had a warm relationship. It's ironic that he killed her while Sebastian and Amanda's contentious relationship prevails.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I don't know where to go with Amanda...as she is so vindictive. I would love for her to have an one-on-one with Kat, ha!

Jonetta - that is so insightful! Amanda reminded me of Charles a bit with their attitudes.

She's just so bitter. She worked hard to position herself well in society only to have married a murderer and be disgraced. That on top of not being able to inherit. And her son seems to have inherited his father's traits. So, Sebastian is her focal point for all that rage.

I know this is mean, but I kind of like that she picked the wrong guy as a husband.

I think you get what you draw. Who was going to be drawn to a bitter, social climbing person but someone like Marcus?

That is true.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Good point, Jonetta. Like is drawn to like.

Joanna | 139 comments She might honestly think that the man she saw with their mother is his father. Or she just might only be mentioning him because she's a bitter, hateful person. Sebastian should have know that he wouldn't get the truth from her.