2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
This topic is about When Maidens Mourn
When Maidens Mourn > Question D

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Hero and Kat have their first encounter. What did they both learn in that moment? Your thoughts about what happened?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I thought it was pretty cheeky for Kat to tell Hero that Sebastian will always love her (Kat) no matter who else he may come to love. What is the point of saying that to Sebastian's new wife? Especially when she knows that they only married because of pregnancy (though now Kat knows that Hero loves Sebastian too)?

message 3: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 07, 2016 02:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This was a huge moment! I think it was astounding for Kat to learn that Hero is in love with Sebastian. It must have also signaled to her the true beginning of the end of what she once had with Sebastian, their love shifting to something more nostalgic than passionate. She knows he'll be susceptible to Hero's feelings. This was a game changer.

And, for Hero, she got to see two things. First, that Kat still loves Sebastian. I'm not sure she feels threatened by it but knowledge is power. Second, Kat pointed her in the direction of Jamie Knox, which led her to the discovery of the reason behind the tension between Sebastian and his father.

I loved this scene...no histrionics or bad behavior. Just two women loving the same man and a subtle transfer of power. It was well written.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments You said it well, Jonetta. I liked that Hero was bold enough to face Kat to find out what she needed to know. It was a shock to know that Kat knew something about Jamie Knox, but if I recall, she did not know him by sight. That resemblance was a key to Sebastian's biological father's identity, we're led to believe in this book.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Jonetta wrote: "I'm not sure she feels threatened by it "

We'll get more insight into Hero's mind set in the next book.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments The fact that Hero and Sebastian are developing both a physical and emotional intimacy must really irk Kat even though she knows she can never be with Sebastian.

I really despise Kat, but it must be difficult for her knowing that Hero not only belongs to a higher social class and has a father who openly acknowledges her, but that she is married to the man that Kat loves.

I wonder if Kat deliberately sent Hero to meet Jamie Knox. Did she want Hero to know that Sebastian was illegitimate to cause problems for them? If so, she really doesn't know Hero very well...

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "I loved this scene...no histrionics or bad behavior. Just two women loving the same man and a subtle transfer of power. It was well written. "

It was well written and highlights Hero's honesty and strength. She will not allow herself to be intimidated or threatened by her husband's former lover.

Lauren wrote: "I wonder if Kat deliberately sent Hero to meet Jamie Knox.... ..."

I wondered the same. However, Hero will win any game she might have tried to play.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I don't have much patience for Kat either, Lauren. I just don't see that her character adds anything to the series anymore so she feels totally superfluous and her appearances in the books tacked on.

I think Kat's role in the story is to offer contrast as Hero and Sebastian create their relationship. Even now, Sebastian doesn't seem as emotionally wrecked after seeing her, which was very telling about him. It was helpful. Kat certainly doesn't have the strong pull she once had.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments It's time for Kat's character to make an exit for good!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I felt like Kat was condescending to Hero with her comments...and was very proud of Hero for holding her own. It really made me like Hero even more and root for Hero and Sebastian's relationship. I was so happy when 40% into the book there was no Kat...and then 42% in she showed up! I jinxed it!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "I felt like Kat was condescending to Hero with her comments...and was very proud of Hero for holding her own. It really made me like Hero even more and root for Hero and Sebastian's relationship. I..."

I agree. I was alternating reading on my own and listening to the audiobook but this particular bit was audiobook and the narrator (the wonderful Davina Porter) even delivered Kat's "Sebastian will always love me" line with a hint of that neener-neener
flavor. It was just a really unnecessary thing to say.

Yes, Lauren, Kat needs to just be gone. I will always dislike that the author decided to make her Hendon's biological daughter as a way to keep her in the mix.

Veronica wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "I felt like Kat was condescending to Hero with her comments...and was very proud of Hero for holding her own. It really made me like Hero even more and root for He..."

I know, Veronica! Even if she goes away she can come back anytime because of that connection.

Veronica wrote: "the narrator (the wonderful Davina Porter) even delivered Kat's "Sebastian will always love me" line with a hint of that neener-neener flavor. It was just a really unnecessary thing to say..."

That's good to know, Veronica. I didn't read it that way so that changes things. Does she really think she's got the goods to tangle with Hero? Silly woman.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "I was so happy when 40% into the book there was no Kat...and then 42% in she showed up! I jinxed it! "

Ah! So you are the one to blame :0)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "Kat's "Sebastian will always love me" line with a hint of that neener-neener
flavor. It was just a really unnecessary thing to say."

It definitely had that tone to it. Kat may be right that he will always love her but not in the way she would like him to.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "That's good to know, Veronica. I didn't read it that way so that changes things. Does she really think she's got the goods to tangle with Hero? Silly woman. "

Totally idiotic!
She can't hold a candle to Hero.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I just thought it was a rude thing to say to his wife. At the very least it was in poor taste. Sheesh.

To his PREGNANT wife.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about that!

Lauren wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "I was so happy when 40% into the book there was no Kat...and then 42% in she showed up! I jinxed it! "

Ah! So you are the one to blame :0)"

LOL, yes, I am afraid it was me.

Joanna | 139 comments I think each woman was measuring the other. I do believe Kat was trying to get under Hero's skin with her remarks about how Sebastian will always love her. Kat mentioned Sebastian's estranged relationship with Hendon as if to say she knows Sebastian better than Hero. Then to mention Knox, she was just baiting Hero.
And I can only imagine what Hero was thinking the night Sebastian came home injured and told her he had been at Covent Gardens when he was attacked. She had to have known that he had went to see Kat. I'm sure she thought they were still intimate with each other. So did she believe Kat when she said they hadn't been?

I don't think she believed they'd been intimate. At this point, she knows Sebastian well enough to understand he wouldn't cheat on her. But, she's still unsure about the depth of his feelings for her.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Joanna wrote: ".And I can only imagine what Hero was thinking the night Sebastian came home injured and told her he had been at Covent Gardens when he was attacked. She had to have known that he had went to see Kat."

Like Jonetta, I think Hero believes Sebastian wouldn't cheat on her simply because he's too honorable, but I do think it bothers her more than she lets on to him.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "Like Jonetta, I think Hero believes Sebastian wouldn't cheat on her simply because he's too honorable, but I do think it bothers her more than she lets on to him"

I agree as well.