Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
This topic is about Rhapsody
Jul 2016: Rhapsody > Post your AUGUST 2nd discussion questions HERE!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
For anyone wanting us to address questions/comments for the July hangout discussing "Rhapsody" by Elizabeth Haydon on July 27th! Video link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3Hc...

message 2: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 4 stars

HEADS UP: We pushed the hangout date a week because the book is long and we need more time!!!

Andrew (awolffie) | 8 comments Rhapsody is clearly a Mary Sue and it's pretty polarizing from reviews I've seen but we've read lots of books with Mary Sues I'm them and I didn't hate them this bad. Where is the line between a tolerable Mary Sue and a "I really wanted to push Rhapsody off a cliff" Mary Sue?

message 4: by Aimee (last edited Jul 16, 2016 03:56AM) (new) - added it

Aimee Can we confirm bt now (where I'm at chap. 53) and the final chapter that Micheal pretty much gave up his obsession and went home?

Therese Larsson After their trek through the earth when they have been remade it is stated that Rhapsody is a virgin again. As we know a woman’s body doesn’t change physically when she has had sex and you cannot physically tell if a woman is a virgin or not (and then there’s the ridiculous notion of the hymen as some kind of barrier that needs to be penetrated). So I’m wondering if you think Haydon is just stupid and not knowledgeable in female physiology or is she wilfully perpetuating this misconception? This is something that really bothers me because it appears in a lot of romance novels. That a woman who has not had sex is somehow whole and unbroken, which would mean that a woman who has had sex is then broken and used. I know this is fiction and maybe these writers believe virginity is somehow romantic but I feel like this is just furthering the double standard that exists when it comes to sex. It is also of course incorrect.

message 6: by Serendi (new)

Serendi It's completely standard stuff for when it was written. And I held a lot of misconceptions about the hymen until the last year or so.

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments Therese wrote: "After their trek through the earth when they have been remade it is stated that Rhapsody is a virgin again. As we know a woman’s body doesn’t change physically when she has had sex and you cannot p..."

Hmm, I was under the impression she meant her hymen was restored to its original state. My understanding is that the hymen is often 'broken' during sex, but can be torn in many other ways (especially as girls lead more active lifestyles), and so is no way to prove whether or not a woman is a virgin. Am I misinformed?

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments Aimee wrote: "Can we confirm bt now (where I'm at chap. 53) and the final chapter that Micheal pretty much gave up his obsession and went home?"

I recall it saying that once Michael saw evidence that Rhapsody had been with the Brother, he assumed there was no way she was still alive, and so gave up because he was sure the assassin had killed her already.

Therese Larsson The hymen does not work like that. It is actually right at the opening so to speak and it's apperance differs from woman to woman. It is not something that breaks because of sex or other physical activities. This is sadly a very common misconception.

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments Therese wrote: "The hymen does not work like that. It is actually right at the opening so to speak and it's apperance differs from woman to woman. It is not something that breaks because of sex or other physical a..."

Actually I believe it can indeed tear or stretch during physical activities, sex being one of them. But it's never totally covering the opening anyway, unless you're born with an imperforate hymen, and what state it's in does not necessarily indicate whether someone is a virgin, since there are other things that can affect it.

So here I took it to mean here that Rhapsody's hymen was restored to its initial state before any stretching or tearing. Although probably the author's point was to equate this with Rhapsody being returned to a state of purity or some crap.

Therese Larsson Yes it can tear but that is not something that should happen. It is also something that can happen at any point in ones sexually active life and is in a way a sign that something is wrong (lack of lubrication for instance). The point is that nothing changes physically after you have had sex and therefore you cannot physically become a virgin again. Virginity is not so much a physical state of being but just a concept that we have invented to identify people who have not partaken in a certain activity.

Therese Larsson We just need to stop with this bullshit Idea of the hymen as some kind of virginity barrier and it always upsets me when romance writers keep perpetuating this lie.

Matthew Kitson | 68 comments If you could rename anyone, who would you and what would it be?

message 14: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Guys we had a cool thing, an article about our local Dallas chapter in the newspaper!
http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/th...

Grats ladies!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments Is time traveling ever Science Fiction in romance novels? Does anyone have a suggestion for a time traveling SciFi book?

Matthew Kitson | 68 comments What would your immediate reaction be if you were suddenly jettisoned centuries into the future?