What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Glimmering Girls: A Novel of the Fifties
This topic is about Glimmering Girls
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical fiction set in the 1950s [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments Hi, I read this book in college, possibly in my freshman year (2004-05). I think it was a new release. It was about a girl who goes to college in the 1950s and deals with the limitations and expectations placed on women during this time. She has a vapid roommate who blindly accepts everything and defends an unfair list of dorm rules for women as having been written by someone who clearly knows a lot about human nature. This roommate gets engaged to a kind of loser guy she barely knows because it's what's expected of her. The protagonist joins an academic sorority at one point.

The book may have been classified as New Adult, but I don't know if that term was in use yet.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40094 comments Mod
Was the book a class assignment, or you just happened to read it during college? Was there a lot of heavy-breathing type sex? (usually a trademark of NA). Author male or female? Remember the cover? Where did the MC go to college?

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments I read it on my own. I saw it on display in the library, which leads me to believe it was a new release. It was pretty chaste, as far as sex goes, I think. I really don't remember anything else about it.

message 4: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments 90% certain author was female.

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments Actually, I think she does have sex with her boyfriend but I don't think it was all that detailed.

message 6: by Kris (last edited Jul 06, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Kris | 36026 comments Mod
Eileen, are racial issues addressed in the book (e.g., Heartbreak Hotel by Anne Rivers Siddons)?

What's the location - U.S./country, region/southern state, etc.?

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments No, that's not it. I think it was a fairly obscure author - maybe a début. I think it might've taken place in Florida but I'm not sure.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36026 comments Mod
What is the heroine studying at college? What does she want to do when she graduates?

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
(wincing) When did the 1950's become "historical"? I thought that was just vintage. :o)

No idea of the book you are looking for, but it does sound interesting.

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Glimmering Girls: A Novel of the Fifties Glimmering Girls A Novel of the Fifties by Merrill Joan Gerber fits.

It takes place at the University of Florida.

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments Ah, I think that's it! Thanks! I had no idea this would be so tough.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 28 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "(wincing) When did the 1950's become "historical"? I thought that was just vintage. :o)

I consider any novel set in a time before it was written to be historical fiction. A novel published in 2016 but set in 1996 would qualify.