Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Proposed Schedule for The Dagger and the Coin

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Being the top vote result of the poll I was thinking we could kick these off the first of the month and the second place vote recipient the 15th of the month for people who want to participate in both.

The Dragon's Path September
The King's Blood October
The Tyrant's Law November
The Widow's House December
The Spider's War January

Who is in? (Me)

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments I'm in.

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "Being the top vote result of the poll I was thinking we could kick these off the first of the month and the second place vote recipient the 15th of the month for people who want to participate in b..."

I'm in. September should be good because my only previous reading obligations are Malazan and Thorn of Emberlain.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "'I'm in. September should be good because my only previous reading obligations are Malazan and Thorn of Emberlain. ."

Yes I have the same commitments........so only two books close to a thousand pages each. :)

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "'I'm in. September should be good because my only previous reading obligations are Malazan and Thorn of Emberlain. ."

Yes I have the same commitments........so only two books close t..."

Should be interesting~

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments Did you guys read the sci-fi series starting with leviathan wakes that he wrote with another author?

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I did not. Was it good?

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I didn't either, but I hardly ever read sci-fi.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments I gave it three stars but bordering on two. It's a quick fun read but not anything deep. The thing I didn't like was that It was told in two viewpoints and it felt a but contrived in the ways the two characters kept being at the center of the plot. Another thing was that the two character's "voices" felt very similar throughout a lot of the book which was surprising since there were two authors. Anyways I was interested in reading the dagger and coin series because I had seen them on a recommendation list for books like game of thrones but after realizing it was one of the same authors as leviathan wakes I lost interest. So i want to see what you guys think and if they are worth reading.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Thanks for the counterpoint Eric. I'm going to still read the first one and we'll see from there. Obviously anybody who hates the first one will drop out so we'll see what happens. Just like Name of the Wind were a handful of us hated it most people love it. People do seem to love this series as well.

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments Yea no I didn't mean to say you guys shouldn't read them or anything and a lot of people including my mom love the expanse series, I was just curious if you had read it. I might actually join you guys with this since I do love books with point of view chapters. Sorry if I seem like I complain a lot.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments I've read Leviathan Wakes twice and loved it. I bought all of the current books recently in an effort to read them all.

And have not. Damn distractions.

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Eric wrote: "Yea no I didn't mean to say you guys shouldn't read them or anything and a lot of people including my mom love the expanse series, I was just curious if you had read it. I might actually join you g..."

Not at all. I appreciate the counterpoint even on books I love. I misunderstood you anyway and thought you meant Dagger and Coin wasn't good either. I do also believe authors grow so I'd give somebody I thought was mediocre another chance down the line.

message 14: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I quite enjoyed the Dagger and Coin series. I really like his simple but still well written books. It's a good change of pace from the heavier stuff. Hope you like them too

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "I quite enjoyed the Dagger and Coin series. I really like his simple but still well written books. It's a good change of pace from the heavier stuff. Hope you like them too"

Good to know. I love mixing the Malazan types of books with the Riyeria type books. Where both are brilliant but one is challenging and one is just easy and enjoyable but both awesome.

message 16: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Sure count me in for this. I love the Expanse series, so it'll be interesting to check out Abrahams's fantasy writing. Reading a book a month from the series is a nice pace, along with all the other stuff I have to be reading!

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments I'm in too.

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Millard | 30 comments I've got the first two and would like to commit to start in September with y'all.

message 19: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Wow, this was a series on my list for a while and I will be joining you in this activity! I am so excited about it!

message 20: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3594 comments Mod
I'm in on this one as well.

message 21: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1081 comments I will join, just reserved it at the library, hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow :)