YA and Beyond discussion

TOP 5 > Top 5 - dying for more of...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

A bit vauge but its a list of things you want to see more of in books. Be it a setting or a trope +++

My list:

- friends of opositie genders that DO NOT become a couple in the end of the book
- a love story where the two parts are "normal" looking and not drop dead georgeus both of them or one of them.
- less focus on drinking (espesially in contemporary) it seems like that if you dont like to get drunk or party something is wrong with the character or the character learns to love it after a while
- more witch books(there are witches in some books but in my experience books focusing on witches in the ya shelf are rare to find)
- books with quotes at the start of chapters

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Ahh great topic! There are so many things/tropes I want to see more of, haha. I agree with all of yours Oda, especially the first one! I'll also add:

- Books that focus more on friendship and less on romance. In fact, I'd just like to see more YA books that have no romance at all.
- More LGBTQIA+ and PoC characters, ESPECIALLY AS PROTAGONISTS.
- Stories based on lesser-known mythology. I love books based on Greek, Roman, Norse mythology etc. but I'd love to see more books based on other mythology!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Ahh great topic! There are so many things/tropes I want to see more of, haha. I agree with all of yours Oda, especially the first one! I'll also add:

- Books that focus more on friendship and less..."

Incase you dont know for the first one you have Sisterhood of travelling pants the main focus there is friendship.

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Ahh great topic! There are so many things/tropes I want to see more of, haha. I agree with all of yours Oda, especially the first one! I'll also add:

other mythologies for sure, Brigid!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Ahh great topic! There are so many things/tropes I want to see more of, haha. I agree with all of yours Oda, especially the first one! I'll also add:

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne uses lots of different myths, its not ya but still.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I would like to see books that don't depict parents as idiots or completely absent. I may be a bit sensitive on this one since my kids are just starting to get into YA.

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Becky wrote: "I would like to see books that don't depict parents as idiots or completely absent. I may be a bit sensitive on this one since my kids are just starting to get into YA."

I liked Shiver, The Fault in Our Stars, and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe for that aspect, Becky :)

message 8: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
@Oda - Oh yes I've read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! I was a big fan of them when I was in middle school. The friendship in them is sweet––although they do spend most of the series in separate places and there's still a lot of focus on romance, haha. I've heard of Hounded and it sounds cool, I will have to give it a try sometime!

@Becky - Yes, I totally agree about that one! There should be more cool parents in YA. I second Ashley's suggestions. Another book I enjoyed with a cool mom was Unearthly. Oh and I love Blue's mom in The Raven Boys!

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 6961 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "I would like to see books that don't depict parents as idiots or completely absent. I may be a bit sensitive on this one since my kids are just starting to get into YA."

Yes! That is why I created a top 5 parents list (I think I did??) because there are too few and far between good parents depicted in YA books. Heck half the time the parents are just totally absent! I always note in my reviews if there are good parents in YA books because of this reason!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "@Oda - Oh yes I've read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! I was a big fan of them when I was in middle school. The friendship in them is sweet––although they do spend most of the series in separat..."

yeay. I loved sisterhood in mg as well, but yes I suppose it is other focuses as well as friendship,still a great series.
and iron druid,does the mths really acurate,at least in my mind no hot blonde thor but thor from the mths moody and ejit.