Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Unlocking Secret Amazon Categories!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 249 (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
I accidentally found it! Hidden deep within the Amazon site, a way to determine what the secret categories are that you can unlock with keywords! I just edited my keywords and will see if this gets me into more categories! (in a few days once it is approved)

I know there are more than what is listed here, as I am in one not listed in this, but it might help you regardless.

Some people might know about this already, but others might not. It is about half way down the page.
https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

Hopefully that works as a link.

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Awesome find C.B.!

message 3: by Christina (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Achievement unlocked!

Yes, I strongly suggest everyone read through the KDP FAQ before publishing with Amazon. It's short, written in plain language, and does indeed have a LOT of helpful info, like the keyword specific categories.

message 4: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Sweet! Thanks, CB!

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments Wowie zowie, CB!

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments OMG! I totally found this a couple days ago when I was "testing" tags and shizz. I'm kinda embarrassed that I didn't think of sharing it...

*commence self-flagellation*

message 7: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Annie wrote: "*commence self-flagellation*"

Amazingly, that is a category!

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments I made it myself XD

message 9: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

The best way to be #1 in a category is to make it yourself after all. That's why I did it!

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments OMG! I legit just spit water on myself!! LMAO!!!!! >_<

message 11: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

V.M. wrote: "Self-flagellation is what amoeba-erotica is all about ;)

New category!"

Oh sweet maker... then... my stuff.

No it isn't new at all.

message 12: by Eva (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 90 comments Thank you, C.B.!

I've saved the link and will read the gist to see how I can best categorize my upcoming novel.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe | 112 comments Thanks, C.B., that was super! When updating my keywords I found even more categories! Totally awesome!

message 14: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I altered my keywords on the 4th and they were approved quickly after.
I added at least 2 categories to all of my books, but thus far I haven't seen myself in any of them. Perhaps it just takes longer than I think it should, or there is a cap on categories? Not sure.

message 15: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments This is nice. Thanks CB.

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Question for you guys...

Is it best to get into smaller categories and rank higher up? I didn't know if I wanted to be super "accurate" or sneak into a less crowded category?

Oh, and I assumed they were just showing your overall ranking + your best other 3 categories. As in, you'd be in other ones too, but just can't see them...?

Dunno *sigh*

Hugs,
Ann

message 17: by Charles (last edited Jul 06, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments I believe that finding a solid niche market is a good launching point, and can give you something to cling to so that you don't get lost in the wash.

I've found horror to be insanely difficult to rank in, there's just an absurd amount of titles, so I may do better by seeking fans out in Technothriller or some similar genre. Either way, it can't hurt to try.

*I'm not a scientician and I have no concrete data to back up these opinions.

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Hash: Thank you very much! And I'd take advice from an experiencedician over a scientician any day of the week!!

Hugs,
Ann

Disclaimer: Those are not legit words. Do not use them in your books and then try to sue me. Thank you.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Annie wrote: "Question for you guys...

Is it best to get into smaller categories and rank higher up? I didn't know if I wanted to be super "accurate" or sneak into a less crowded category?

Oh, and I assumed th..."

It's nice to see the rank, and a tiny sub genre might get you the coveted bestseller ribbon on Amazon, but just remember: the more specific, the less people who are likely searching. For example: one of my books is in YA Scifi Mystery, which is a teeny tiny category. I can sell one book and be in the top 100 for weeks afterward, but it doesn't usually bring in extra sales either.

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: Sooo are we actually only in the 3 categories we see? I thought those were just the "best" ones we were in...?

Hugs,
Ann

#ConfusedByAmazonCategories

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Annie wrote: "@Miss Christina: Sooo are we actually only in the 3 categories we see? I thought those were just the "best" ones we were in...?

Hugs,
Ann

#ConfusedByAmazonCategories"

Scroll to the bottom of your sales page and you'll see all of them. The ones that display below your overall rank are fickle. Mine don't always show up and sometimes one category might appear over another.

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: OMGoodness! That makes more sense!! I was like, "Hey! How come you took it outta the general category, Amaaaaaazon!!!"

But I'm coo now. Like a pigeon >_< Thank you, ma'am!

Hugs,
Ann

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I'm working on redoing mine. I've bounced between a few keywords here and there and it seems many of mine I was already using are on that list.

Still, I'm combining some to fit different categories that I haven't done before. I've had a difficult time getting more than one or two of those specific rankings to show up at any given time, so hopefully using additional keyword combinations, I'll end up with a bit more visibility.

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments I'm not sure if I know about this But I'll definitely check it out.

message 25: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Has anyone tried 'bestseller' as a tag? :)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Zoltán wrote: "Has anyone tried 'bestseller' as a tag? :)"

Cute. That would get some views. : )

message 27: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Zoltán wrote: "Has anyone tried 'bestseller' as a tag? :)"

Cute. That would get some views. : )"

It's a habit of mine to look for security holes ;)

message 28: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Sorry. Thought I'd shared this on a few threads.
OK so when you're on Amazon as a reader you can go to a genre then there's sub categories.
To get in these sub categories you should use certain keywords as per that link.

So romance novels get:
https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

message 29: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Zoltán wrote: "Has anyone tried 'bestseller' as a tag? :)"

I'm certain that's against the rules. :D

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Thomas wrote: "Zoltán wrote: "Has anyone tried 'bestseller' as a tag? :)"

I'm certain that's against the rules. :D"

Killjoy. | (

message 31: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Well, how about I give you the go ahead to try that as a keyword and let Amazon be the killjoy. How long do you think it would take them to make you fix it?

message 32: by Annie (last edited Jul 07, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @TL: Have you played around with the Romance tags at all? If I add "comedy" I get into Romantic Comedy. But I've tried all the tags for Rich & Wealthy...even multiple at once...and...

No luck.

*sobs in corner*

Hugs,
Ann

EDIT: Are you guys being serious about "bestseller"? I'll totally try if you want. Whatevs.

message 33: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I added 2-3 keywords to all of my books, and now am in 'Contemporary' in one. Nothing new showed up besides that.

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @CB: Did you add the same keywords to all your books and only one got slotted into Contemporary?

*growls at Amazon's complexity*

Hugs,
Ann

message 35: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I don't even know why it is in Contemporary now - I tried to get it into Shifters, not contemporary.

:)

Oh well, I suppose the important thing is that my keywords are better now, regardless of the category they are actually in!

message 36: by Lyra (last edited Jul 07, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments Wow, thanks, Amazon, for making categories so super confusing for us authors! Lol

As of right now, I'm in LGBT sci-fi, Space Opera, and I'm trying out Metaphysical and Visionary... Just for the halibut. ;)
No idea of if any category actually helps sales or not though.

message 37: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Thomas wrote: "Zoltán wrote: "Has anyone tried 'bestseller' as a tag? :)"

I'm certain that's against the rules. :D"

Definitely against the rules.

Seriously guys, I know I sound like Hermione going on about Hogwarts, a History, but read the fine print. With Amazon, it's not even fine print. Amazon's terms of service for publishing with them is maybe 10 pages max and easy to understand even if you aren't a lawyer. Additionally, their FAQ covers EVERYTHING you need to know about the rules. And just like our rules, claimed ignorance of Amazon's rules is not a free pass to break them.

message 38: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Esplin | 81 comments Mmm... I'll see what shows up :)

message 39: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Christina wrote: "Definitely against the rules."

*rescinds offer to test "bestseller" tag**backs away slowly* XD

Thanks, Christina!!

Hugs,
Ann

#Reckless #AlmostWentDownInFlames*

message 40: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Wow this thread was so over my head when I first started reading, but by George I think I'm getting it now. Great stuff :).

message 41: by Gippy (new)

Gippy Adams | 99 comments C.B. wrote: "I accidentally found it! Hidden deep within the Amazon site, a way to determine what the secret categories are that you can unlock with keywords! I just edited my keywords and will see if this gets..."

I'm not sure I understand, but would love to as I have been trying to change my category for awhile now. They keep turning me down. I also don't understand why Amazon doesn't have a category: psychological thriller.

message 42: by Gippy (new)

Gippy Adams | 99 comments C.B. wrote: "The best way to be #1 in a category is to make it yourself after all. That's why I did it!"

And Amazon allowed you to use it? Amazing!!!

message 43: by Gippy (new)

Gippy Adams | 99 comments I'm under mystery suspense thriller and I don't want to be because I'm a new writer and certainly cannot compete with all of the millions of already established authors in those three categories (now put together)! But, amazon keeps saying no to any changes I suggest. What to do?

message 44: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments This all tag combination reminds me of Doodle God.

Combine fiction with magic: Fantasy.
Combine fiction with technology: Science fiction.
Combine fantasy with current life-style: contemporary fantasy.
Combine psychology with self-help: thriller.
Combine thriller with myths: paranormal thriller.
etc.

It could be made into a game actually :)

message 45: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments fyi I don't think bestseller works :-(
I'm sure I read somewhere it doesn't.

I have played around with a few.
Basically, I went through the list and tried to find most appropriate keywords.

My latest book sits under:
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Counseling & Psychology > Mental Health > Sexual Abuse

It's quite a niche section, but still it's quite low down.
It did reach no. 3 at one point (at launch).

But it's also romance, inspirational and romance, contemporary (which has thousands).

The aim is not so much as to climb the highest but to give your book the best exposure.
So, if someone is searching for a particular theme in e.g. romance they have a chance of discovering your book.

Good luck
xx

message 46: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments So with a retooling yesterday on category and keywords suggested by Amazon's lists, I had 8 unsolicited downloads last night after my book was "published" and reached #16 in the free YA Time Travel category.

To be fair, there are only 40 in that free category, so the fight up there was fairly easy. But still, it's a step toward #1 somewhere, and I read of a tactic elsewhere that said climb in one category and then switch to another for better visibility. I suppose I might make a topic on that later with any findings on that tactic.

message 47: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Thomas: Ooooh! That's awesome sauce!! Thank you for sharing!! Pretty please keep us updated >_<

Hugs,
Ann

message 48: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Pastore (cjpastore) | 3 comments Annie wrote: "@Mr Thomas: Ooooh! That's awesome sauce!! Thank you for sharing!! Pretty please keep us updated >_<

Hugs,
Ann"

Very helpful info! Thanks for sharing. Will put to use when I launch my romance novel on August 1st. Considering, romance, suspense, alpha male, submission, military, wealthy as categories. I'm a neophyte at this so would appreciate any feedback.

With gratitude,
C.J. Pastore

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments I'll have to check this out later when I'm on my computer. So hard to do on the phone:)

And thanks for always brightening my day with laughter guys! I enjoy reading threads just for that:)

message 50: by Justin (last edited Jul 09, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments I'm trying this and I'm not getting it at all. First, Amazon only allows you to select a certain amount of categories to appear under. Second, I'm typing genres in and I'm getting no results, I even typed in horror and it said no results were found....

When I type anything at all into Topic or Keyword then hit Search Help it comes up with no results everytime...Is that not how it works and am I hitting the wrong button? if so then that shouldn't be there.

« previous 1 3 4 5