Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Wars of Light and Shadow > Possible new short story

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aussie500 (last edited Jul 03, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments Janny currently has a chance to include a new short story in an anthology being done by Grimdark magazine. The book will be called Evil is a Matter of Perspective, Janny has indicated if they reach the stretch goal to include her story, we can have some say in which dark bit of Athera's past we can get a glimpse of.
http://www.paravia.com/cgi/discus/sho...
I apologize in advance if we are not allowed to advertise such a project, if but if you look up Grimdark, kickstarter, and Janny Wurts you will find it.

Janny's contribution is the next stretch goal, they have already reached the first 2, but are slowing down a bit with only 10 days left. Any one want to help get a new WoLaS related short story to read?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments I backed it. This looks like a great project...

message 3: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 343 comments Mod
Having been in a tough spot with reading....I haven't finished her series.

I support her all the way, though.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I backed!

message 5: by Aussie500 (last edited Jul 03, 2016 06:16PM) (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments And since it is a discussion topic, what would we like to see? Janny's suggestions so far for what she could do are the cracking of the King's Tower at Ithaomon on the day Marin Eliathe was murdered. Now since that was an assassination it would be interesting to see how that was done and why.

Davien's machinations and the instigators behind the rebellion might get us more words, and a better look at Morriel when she was a bit younger, and more necromancers. That one might fit the book better, they all thought they were doing the right thing, might not have turned out as Davien expected it to, or did it?

But Janny did say she would take other suggestions. I think Sulfin Evend might be covered in Destiny's Conflict, any other early antagonists we might want to see more of?

How did Sethvir have his run in with necromancers? Give us their side of that, what happened to them, when did it occur?

Dragons are probably covered some where in the last 2 books.

What happened to Jessian perhaps, how did the Prime back then deal with that defection.

Enithen Tuer and Morriel, although Elaira's situation might cover some of that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I like yours!

message 7: by Aussie500 (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments Well we can only have one in the book unfortunately, so pick one so when Janny eventually sees the thread she can get an idea of which story we want.

I would like to see Morriel's bloody rebellion in the book, did it go wrong for Davien, or was he just being ruthless. It fits nicely with the book theme, and we might get a few more clues.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Aussie500 wrote: "Well we can only have one in the book unfortunately, so pick one so when Janny eventually sees the thread she can get an idea of which story we want.

I would like to see Morriel's bloody rebellion..."

Yes! That sounds like a good one.

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Hugely pleased to announce that the backers unlocked the stretch goal, and this story is gonna happen! Thanks to all the folks who spread the word, it's going to be amazing. Thanks for making my day.

(and for any who are concerned for delays - I have only a few weeks work left before turning in the manuscript for Destiny's Conflict, this story deadline will follow the finish of the manuscript, so there will be no worries on that score. You'll have your cake (a fixed pub date for the novel) and eat it, too (a new story coming).

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments All great news, Janny :)

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Yay!!

message 12: by Aussie500 (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments Looking forward to reading a new glimpse of Athera's past.

message 13: by Aussie500 (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments There will be an AMA for the over on the Grimdark Fiction Readers & Writers FB page tomorrow for the EVIL IS A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE authors, giving away signed books and ebooks to some lucky winners. They have not specifically said Janny's giveaway of a signed hardback edition of Ride to Hells Chasm is US postage only. All the others real paper books are US or US and Canadian only. Janny has not announced what time she will do it yet, but she is in the second group later in the day so earliest is 2:40pm PTD all the earlier slots are already taken. I signed up for the group, I usually stay up late anyway. Just have to think up a question!

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Cool.

message 15: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Aussie500 wrote: "There will be an AMA for the over on the Grimdark Fiction Readers & Writers FB page tomorrow for the EVIL IS A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE authors, giving away signed books and ebooks to some lucky winne..."

My slot follows Courtney Schafers' - which makes it 8:20 EST (Note if you are on the east coast, that would be DAYLIGHT time by your clock, or 7:20 EDT) - dunno what time that would be in Australia time or UK or wherever you are)

message 16: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Time correction: the AMA listed above will take place at 8:20 EDT.

message 17: by Aussie500 (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments I was still trying to work out what time the AMA was and nearly missed it! Had to think up a quick question.

message 18: by Aussie500 (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:51AM) (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments Janny and the other authors now have a bit of a pay rise, pledges having passed the next financial goal of 39,000(aud). They have also reached 800 backers, so another goodie added to the ebooks. But still Peter Orullian is waiting out in the cold for a chance to add his contribution to Evil is a Matter of Perspective, still 34hrs to go.

They currently have pledges of $39,423(aud)

message 19: by Aussie500 (last edited Jul 23, 2016 10:30PM) (new)

Aussie500 | 36 comments I will tack this on the end here just to keep the news on short stories together. There will be another short story by Janny, published this year by Grim Oak Press in their coming anthology Unfettered II
http://grimoakpress.com/product/unfet...

Janny has indicated it is likely to be a WoLaS related one, which she will write as soon as she hands in the final manuscript for Destiny's Conflict.
http://www.paravia.com/cgi/discus/sho...
https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status...

I suspect if we would really enjoy the third short story Janny has mentioned in her Paravia post, to be published some where as yet unrevealed, it might be related to one of Janny's other books or short stories. Not WoLaS related but something we would like to see more off. That would leave a pretty long list. Have to wait and see what it will be.