Roots: The Saga of an American Family Roots discussion

Name of a book I loved and read over and over years sgo

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Anderson Can anyone help me with this please? The book's title is his name. The book is about a young slave and his terrible journey to the cottonfields. The slaveowner's wife eventually seduces him and he has a son. The second book is ,,,,,,'Son. I so want to read them again. It is not Roots.Hope someone can help.

Jlsimon I have been googling several strings for you... I tried, "slave's son stories", "Slave seduced by plantation owner's wife", "African American literature book title, 'Son'", and several other search strings. I also tried going to google books and searching just the title "Son" needless to say I got ever book that has the word "son" in it. That was fruitless. Is there anything else you can remember about the book? A character's name? Any part of the author's name? I empathize with your plight. I have a song I've been looking for for over a decade.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Anderson Oh thank you so so much for trying! I only remember the young lad was ready for his initiation into the tribe, he took some earth and put in something to always wear around his neck, was taken on a dreadful journey in a slave ship, then worked on the cottonfields. The book was fantastic but a bit gruesome. Yes, the mistress seduced him and they had a son.
Maybe one of us can help you with the song???
:):)

Jane Jenny wrote: "Can anyone help me with this please? The book's title is his name. The book is about a young slave and his terrible journey to the cottonfields. The slaveowner's wife eventually seduces him and he ..."

The first book that came to mind was "Mandingo" but I don't think they had a child. A search revealed a series called "Falconhurst Fancy," which probably isn't it either.