Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Aboriginal fantasy novels

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Briar Rose (new)

Briar Rose | 8 comments Does anyone know of any fantasy novels using Dreamtime mythology, or written by an Aboriginal person, or even set in a Australian-type landscape? They seem really hard to find. The only one I could find was The Nargun and the Stars.

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan DREAMTIME - AN ABORIGINAL ODYSSEY fits this category, but I only gave it two stars. I think plenty of people would justifiably give it one star.

message 3: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited Jul 02, 2016 11:06PM) (new)

Phrynne | 12047 comments Mod
The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf series is fantasy written by an indigenous Australian. I gave it five stars but haven't had the opportunity to move on in the series yet.
My review of the first book:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3255 comments Phrynne wrote: "The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf series is fantasy written by an indigenous Australian. I gave it five stars but haven't had the opportunity to move on in the series yet.
My review ..."

I'd second this one! I'm hoping to read all the others shortly.

message 5: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 4 comments Phrynne wrote: "The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf series is fantasy written by an indigenous Australian. I gave it five stars but haven't had the opportunity to move on in the series yet.
My review ..."

I haven't read this series yet but my daughter is raving over it - unlike me she doesn't rave lightly :)

message 6: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 12047 comments Mod
I liked the first one very much but when I went to get the second it was a bit pricey for an ebook. I might encourage my library to get them:)

message 7: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 4 comments Mandy borrowed hers from the library - said same as you - too expensive for an ebook

message 8: by Briar Rose (new)

Briar Rose | 8 comments Thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to check out that Ashala Wolf book!

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1893 comments Briar Rose wrote: "Does anyone know of any fantasy novels using Dreamtime mythology, or written by an Aboriginal person, or even set in a Australian-type landscape? They seem really hard to find. The only one I could..."

I find myself recommending these a lot recently : The Darklands Trilogy starting with the first book Nightpeople (Darklands, #1) by Anthony Eaton by Anthony Eaton. It is postapocalyptic in era, but it takes a while for that to sink in if you don't already know (as you do now, but I didn't when I read it). The setting landscapes are Australian, desert in the first one and exceptionally well described. The people are obviously the descendants of today's desert dwellers, many of whom are aboriginal.

Incidentally, I am watching this thread with interest, since I would LOVE to read more fantasy based on the Dreamtime, such a wealth of mythology being ignored there!

message 10: by Briar Rose (last edited Jul 06, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Briar Rose | 8 comments Deborah wrote: "Briar Rose wrote: "Does anyone know of any fantasy novels using Dreamtime mythology, or written by an Aboriginal person, or even set in a Australian-type landscape? They seem really hard to find. T..."

Thanks for the rec Deborah, looks interesting!

I think it's an ignored area too - such a pity because it's a rich place to draw original fantasy from. I am so tired of European-style fantasy novels. Medieval England + magic has been done to death! There are more novels drawing on other mythologies and histories now, but the Dreamtime seems like a mostly unexplored area. I really want to hear Aboriginal voices too - there are far too few in fiction!

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1893 comments I agree Briar Rose. There is one story in the graphic novel series Hellblazer that uses the rainbow serpent and the Dreamtime and I was super thrilled when I found it.

Mutant Message down under is fantasy, but it claims to be real. Basically it is a scam so I would recommend staying away from it.

There are also the novels of Terry Dowling they are set in Australia but I would call them heavy sci-fi rather than fantasy.

message 12: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Gargoyle (thebookshelfgargoyle) | 19 comments In the Skin of a Monster (released last year, Allen&Unwin) is fantasy set in Australia, but no indigenous element. I wish they would make a novel or graphic novel of Cleverman...I don't have time to watch the show, but I'd definitely read it if it were novelised!

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71658 comments Mod
In the Skin of a Monster by Kathryn Barker

Is this the one Bruce?

message 14: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Gargoyle (thebookshelfgargoyle) | 19 comments Brenda wrote: "In the Skin of a Monster by Kathryn Barker

Is this the one Bruce?"

The very same!

message 15: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Gargoyle (thebookshelfgargoyle) | 19 comments There's also Crow Country by Kate Constable which has been on my to read list for ages. It's a lower YA mysterywith a bit of time travel and I think I remember reading that it had a bit of indigenous folklore in it.

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Crow Country by Kate Constable

Thanks Bruce :)

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

This book fits your criteria Briar Rose

Loreless by P.J. Whittlesea

I haven't read it and it's a new release as well :)

message 18: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 4 comments Brenda wrote: "In the Skin of a Monster by Kathryn Barker

Is this the one Bruce?"

That was a DNF for me - hated it

message 19: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis There was The Kadaitcha Sung but it was misogynist, violent and very disturbing :/

message 20: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3255 comments I believe The Swan Book by Alexis Wright is probably also one in this category. I have it on my TBR list.

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Denman | 62 comments Leonie wrote: "I believe The Swan Book by Alexis Wright is probably also one in this category. I have it on my TBR list."
Thanks, it's on my TBR list

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter | 36 comments I don't know if these are the kinds of books you're after, or if you're still interested after nearly a year, but have you read The Rocks of Honey? I read it a long time ago, can't remember if it's a kids' book.

Also The Red Chief by Ion Idriess, one of the few books I've read several times.

This page might be worth a browse too:
https://www.creativespirits.info/reso...

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The Rocks Of Honey by Patricia Wrightson (published 1960)

Red Chief, The by Ion L. Idriess (published 1953)

Thanks so much Peter :)

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter | 36 comments Is it a convention to link to books' pages here when you mention them? How do you do it?

message 25: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The only reason we like it being done is that it's easy for the members to click straight on the book link to check the book out :) The way you do it - in your comment box it says "add book/author" in the top right hand corner. Click on that and type in your title or ISBN. When the correct one shows, click "add" and it'll enter the comment box. Then you can go back in and do the same for author :) Good luck!

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter | 36 comments Thanks, I just read that in the How To post at the top. That option isn't there in the app, I'll have to use the web interface instead.

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

No I don't think it works with the app - laptop is fine of course :)

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Denman | 62 comments I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on Aboriginal fantasy as it seems to have changed considerably in the past year. I started writing my first YA fantasy novel five years ago, set in Australia with supernatural themes. It seemed disrespectful to ignore Indigenous themes in that at the time, but I don't have Aboriginal heritage. I absolutely appreciate why cultural appropriation should be avoided, so where do people think the line should be drawn here? Not trying to start any controversy (promise), just genuinely trying to get a feel for what people think.

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter | 36 comments Don't know much about it myself, but this might be interesting reading:
https://www.wheelercentre.com/notes/2...

But it seems to be more about avoiding stereotyping than appropriation. Could linking indigenous characters with supernatural happenings count as stereotyping?

message 30: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Denman | 62 comments Very good question! Thanks for the link. Has some useful tips