Fans of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew discussion

Nancy Drew > Your favourite character besides Nancy?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seema M. (new)

Seema M. Fazil (brotherlyloveisbeautiful) | 105 comments Mod
Who is your favourite character besides Nancy? Bess, George, or Ned, and why?

message 2: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments That's a hard one. I like Bess and George together. I'd probably have to say George though because she seems better at thinking on her feet and I like that she's not a girly girl. I like Ned too but he only makes an appearance for a brief period of time in the ND books so I don't get to spend a lot of time reading about him for him to be a favorite, but in the original Nancy Drew stories I've always liked the way he fancied Nancy.

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 25 comments Ned, George, and Bess are all loyal, brave, and help on many dangerous cases, and I appreciate George's sense and humor, but my fave ND book character besides Nancy would be Ned. :) Not just because he's smart and handsome, he understands Nancy's gift for detecting and helping people, and he encourages her. I really like all of that. :)

message 4: by Seema M. (new)

yeah ned is cool! :)

message 5: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments All good answers! Which Nancy Drew version do you guys like most? The Original Mystery Stories or one of the newer ones? Like The Nancy Drew Files, Girl Detective, Nancy Drew & The Clue Crew or The Nancy Drew Diaries?

I grew up reading the original mystery stories but I really liked a few of the Nancy Drew Files. I recently read one of the Nancy Drew Diaries books and even though I think there are apparent differences, it still had the same 'feel' to me. As a matter of fact my husband and I found a 3-in-1 bundle of the Nancy Drew Diaries at Walmart for like $10..which is a great deal considering Barnes & Noble wanted $7 for one. I can't wait to read them. :)

message 6: by Seema M. (new)

Oh yeah, the Nancy Drew Diaries r really good! So is Girl Detective. I like the newer Nancy Drew way better. The old ones r good too but they're a bit confusing.
Yeah, Walmart has really good deals on the Nancy Drew Diaries. Have u read The Clue at Black Creek Farm (Nancy Drew Diaries #9) by Carolyn Keene ? It's really good and suspenseful. I recommend it. :)

message 7: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments I know I've read a LOT of the original mystery stories, a handful of the Nancy Drew Files (I really liked "Treasure in the Royal Tower"), and I read two of the Nancy Drew & The Clue Crew books because I have a daughter and thought she'd like them. I don't think I've read any of the Girl Detective books. I did read The Nancy Drew Diaries book "Sabotage at Willow Woods" and the one my husband bought me includes the first 3- "Curse of the Arctic Star", "Strangers on a Train", and "Mystery of the Midnight Rider", so I am looking forward to those. We live in a small rural area so we don't have a lot of bookstores near us, we actually found that bundle at the Walmart at the town over from us after we went out to dinner one night. I'm just glad we found it one way or another. :)

message 8: by Seema M. (last edited Jul 18, 2016 12:27AM) (new)

cool, so u really grew up with ND books huh? since when have u been reading them?
yeah I also like the Nancy Drew and The Clue Crew books. They're cute. :)
Oh, and u should really read the Girl Detective books. They're really good too! :)

message 9: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments Well, my mom actually grew up during the time the original mystery stories were released. I even have a handful of some of her original copies from the 60's, which is really cool. So those are the books I grew up reading. I was about 8-9 when I picked up my first Nancy Drew book which was "The Scarlet Slipper Mystery" and then I read "The Secret of the Old Clock" and "The Hidden Staircase", they were all at my grandmothers house which is where I spent many summers as a child while my mom worked, so that's when it really started. Then when I read all the copies my mom had, she'd take me into the bookstore in town to a buy a new one, and when the bookstore closed, we would go onto Ebay and out of every paycheck she would buy me a new one I didn't have yet (and this is by the time they were in the hardcover yellow series), so I have a lot of fond memories attached to Nancy Drew. It really sparked my love of reading.

I will definitely check out the Girl Detective books!

message 10: by Seema M. (new)

Cool, lucky u! :)
U still read them right? If so, wonderful! Cos I really want to be a forever fan of Nancy Drew ( and the Hardy Boys ). I hope I grow up reading them. Oh, and it's really nice of your mom to take u to the bookstore ( or on Ebay ) to buy u Nancy Drew books! :)

Yes, u should really check out the Girl Detective! :)

message 11: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments Yes, I still read them. Not as much as I did when I was a kid but it's nice to take a break every now and then and reminisce with a good old Nancy Drew book. I will admit, I never read any Hardy Boys books. Maybe in the future.

message 12: by Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (last edited Jul 19, 2016 04:32PM) (new)

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 25 comments Ashlee wrote: "All good answers! Which Nancy Drew version do you guys like most?"

Hi Ashlee! :) I've read quite a few Nancy Drew books and have plenty more to read in all of the series. :D My fave ND books are certain titles in several series ~ quite a few from the Nancy Drew main series (which had new books published into 2003 and has 175 titles! as well as The Sleuth Book), The Girl Detective series, Nancy Drew Notebooks, Clue Crew, and my fave File that I've read so far is High Marks for Malice by Carolyn Keene . Just read that one the other month (and need to post my review!) I'd say my fave in the Nancy Drew Diaries series I'm hoping is going to be The Ghost of Grey Fox Inn (Nancy Drew Diaries #13) by Carolyn Keene - excited about it! :D I love any of them that are written well and right. :D
And I love the Hardy Boys. :D

message 13: by Seema M. (new)

Hey Ann,
U never read the ND Diaries?
U should try them! They're good! :)
I obviously like the HB Adventures more but the ND Dairies r good too! :)

message 14: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments The Ghost of Grey Fox Inn sounds cool! When I read Sabotage at Willow Woods, I was slightly disappointed that it didn't involve the woods/forest much at all. I like a good ghost story. :)

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 25 comments Seema wrote: "Hey Ann,
U never read the ND Diaries?
U should try them! They're good! :)
I obviously like the HB Adventures more but the ND Dairies r good too! :)"

Oh, I've read some of the Nancy Drew Diaries, I just have the most hope for The Ghost of Grey Fox Inn (Nancy Drew Diaries #13) by Carolyn Keene , and I'm hoping I'll have a favorite NDD with that one. Like you, I also prefer the Hardy Boys Adventures! :D

Ashlee wrote: "When I read Sabotage at Willow Woods, I was slightly disappointed that it didn't involve the woods/forest much at all."

Also in Sabotage at Willow Woods the writer called George a non-athlete!!!!!! George!

message 16: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments Yeah George was always very athletic in the earlier books. I also didn't care for the fact that in the NDD they changed Nancy's looks, especially her hair. They call it a red fiery hair that can't be contained when she always strawberry blonde in the original stories. I don't care how they describe her now, I will always have classic Nancy envisioned when I read any ND books.

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 25 comments George is athletic. The main Nancy Drew series that went into 2003 and in the Girl Detective books and the Notebooks and Clue Crew books reflect that. As far as I know, from those that I've read in the NDD series the only NDD that called her a non-athlete is Sabotage at Willow Woods.
Yep, cool and you can totally do that. :) The shade varies by the different ghostwriters in probably all of the series.

message 18: by Seema M. (new)

Yeah, the ghostwriter that wrote Sabotage at Willow Woods (Nancy Drew Diaries #5) by Carolyn Keene probably doesn't know anything about ND.

message 19: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 9 comments Yeah. I mean to be fair, this series originated in the early 1900's, obviously all of the original ND ghost writers are either dead or very, very old. I understand the need to update characters to keep them attractive with newer generations. I just wish they'd keep in mind some of our favorite ND and other character traits and stay true to them. Good to know that Sabotage at Willow Woods was the only one to reference George that way.

message 20: by Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (last edited Aug 05, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ (musicisablessing) | 25 comments Seema wrote: "Yeah, the ghostwriter that wrote Sabotage at Willow Woods (Nancy Drew Diaries #5) by Carolyn Keene probably doesn't know anything about ND."

At least not some things - like George being an athlete! :)

@ Ashlee - New Nancy Drew stories in the main Nancy Drew series (#1 The Secret of the Old Clock - #175) continued into 2003, and there have been quite a few different ghostwriters, so I'm sure that they're still around. I think there are just errors in the books by any ghostwriter not doing easy homework, not an attempt at updating for the most part. The true character traits are attractive with newer generations - such as me! :) I'm glad there are so many people who love Nancy. :)