Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 2. When Vronsky first meets Anna (discuss)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4259 comments Mod
When Vronsky first meets Anna, "it was as if a surplus of something so overflowed her being that it expressed itself beyond her will..." (p. 61). What is this something? Why is it expressed beyond her will?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour Hormones? Pheromones?

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4259 comments Mod
She was flirtatious and had a way of making her presence felt.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 1003 comments But she was also bored in her emotion-less marriage with Alexei Karenin.

message 5: by Becky Lynn (new)

Becky Lynn I'm with Patrick. She was bored and this small spark ignited something within her she was evidently unable to control in the end.

I myself would have taken a very long vacation. Or maybe found a new hobby. Just sayin'.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Animal magnetism, I guess. Their relationship was built upon infatuation, lust, and dissatisfaction with their current situations. This is in contrast to Kitty and Levin's relationship which had a much more solid foundation.

message 7: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1481 comments I am with Diane. I think that Tolstoy is describing the sexual attraction which is sometimes overpowering.

message 8: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2082 comments Mod
Again I agree with you all. Anna was a beautiful, flirtatious woman looking for fun and that would have appealed to Vronsky