Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for August 2016

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like for the group to read as our Group Read in August?

Two nominations to a person, please.

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group Bookshelf.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Dunn (wendyjdunn) | 16 comments The Light in the Labyrinth The Light in the Labyrinth by Wendy J. Dunn

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezimmie) The Kings Curse by Phillippa Gregory

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Hartweg | 37 comments Catherine Howard The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII by Lacey Baldwin Smith Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII by Lacey Baldwin Smith (originally published as A Tudor Tragedy).

The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake 1577-1580 by R. Samuel Bawlf The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake: 1577-1580 by Samuel Bawlf.

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth Margolis | 6 comments I'm enjoying the Katherine of Aragon book, which was the pick for July. May I humbly propose my new novel, THE SEMPER SONNET, for August? It's fiction, and a thriller, which would represent a nice shift, especially for the dog days of summer. You can learn more about it here: https://goo.gl/W8KDd9

message 7: by Rivkah (new)

Rivkah (rsk5041) | 12 comments Seth wrote: "I'm enjoying the Katherine of Aragon book, which was the pick for July. May I humbly propose my new novel, THE SEMPER SONNET, for August? It's fiction, and a thriller, which would represent a nice ..."

I too just finished Katherine of Aragon . I loved it. I can't wait for Alison Weir's next book about Ann Boylen

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments Erin, we had The King's Curse as a Group Read in 2014 - that thread is still open, by the way. (All the threads for our past group reads remain open.)

message 10: by John (new)

John (hawkerodonnell) | 1 comments As newbie member, I hope to god I'm not violating a group protocol by self-indulgently suggesting a germane work of historical fiction that I've recently published. Encourage or chasten me; I'm up for instruction. Thanks. --John

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments It's alright, John, but we do need to know what the title is!

Have you claimed your author page here?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments Does anyone else want to make a nomination?

message 13: by Marmie7 (last edited Jul 07, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Marmie7 The Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory

message 15: by Ella (new)

Ella Howd I'd like to nominate The Virgin's Daughter (Tudor Legacy #1) by Laura Andersen . It's the first in the spinoff The Boleyn Trilogy. I've not read it yet, but I've heard you don't really have to have read the Boleyn Trilogy to read it, that it gives background information. The books in the Boleyn Trilogy usually did that too.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments OK, I will close nominations and open up a poll very shortly.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments The poll is now open, and can be found either on the bottom of the group's home page, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1969 comments The current leader: The Six Wives of Henry VIII, by Alison Weir.

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green I've read The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. 17 years ago I visited Hampton Court while in London. I knew very little about the Tudors. I bought this book in Harrod's the next day. I was hooked. I've been reading all things Tudor ever since. Alison Weir became on of my favorite authors.

message 20: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments My first tudor book was Brief Gaudy Hour by Barbara Barnes, non-fiction, which fueled my passion for all things Tudor. My husband took me to England for our honeymoon where I visited Hampton Court among many other places. And I too would say Alison Weir is one of my favorite authors and I think I have read nearly all of her books.

message 21: by Aled (last edited Jul 27, 2016 04:22PM) (new)

Aled Davies | 11 comments This is a quick shout out to Kindle users! I wrote a Tudor book titled The colours of our petals It's currently free for five days on Kindle.