Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's June Reads

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments 1. NYPD Red 2, Patterson/Karp. Bodies galore, but Zack and Kylie figure it out. 4Minus

2. Thereby Hangs a Tail, Spencer Quinn. Chet and Bernie get involved with show dog. Fun series if you spread it out. 4

3. Orphan X, Greg Horwitz. Nowhere Man helps others while dodging those who want to help themselves to him. 4Plus

4. Blood Flag, Steve Martini. Madriani and Hinds investigate a Nazi artifact. 4

5. Allegiant, Veronica Roth. Last book in series brings things to a very unexpected conclusion. 4

6. 81 Days Below Zero. Crashed pilot survives Alaska winter. 4Plus

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3116 comments I also spread out the Spencer Quinn books for the same reason.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "1. NYPD Red 2, Patterson/Karp. Bodies galore, but Zack and Kylie figure it out. 4Minus

2. Thereby Hangs a Tail, Spencer Quinn. Chet and Bernie get involved with show dog. Fun series if you spread ..."

Good month! ALLEGIANT did have an unexpected ending, but I think it was the right one.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments Nice month Dan! Now I'm going to have to go refresh my memory of the ending of Allegiant. Lol
I lost my turn with the Chet and Bernie first book during mid-read, and need to request it again and get back to it. It started out well.
Dan in AZ wrote: "1. NYPD Red 2, Patterson/Karp. Bodies galore, but Zack and Kylie figure it out. 4Minus

2. Thereby Hangs a Tail, Spencer Quinn. Chet and Bernie get involved with show dog. Fun series if you spread ..."

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3795 comments nice month, dan. i totally agree about the spencer quinn books. fun to read, but not one right after the other.

message 6: by Jezzy (new)

Jezzy | 36 comments hi Dan, i recently finished the 1st book of the Chet & Bernie series. it was a light & fun read indeed. i dont understand on what you meant by "fun things if you spread it out" review. i'm not going to continue reading its series just yet coz i wanted to peruse a new cozy mystery next.

message 7: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments Jezzy wrote: "hi Dan, i recently finished the 1st book of the Chet & Bernie series. it was a light & fun read indeed. i dont understand on what you meant by "fun things if you spread it out" review.

The dog POV is well done, but I think it would get too cute and hackneyed if the books were read too close together. Much the same as some authors' constant use of specific terms or words that can grate if the books are read consecutively.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments A month of 4 and 4+ books is not too shabby! It's been ages since I read Steve Martini, but I've enjoyed his books. Someone else here must have read Orphan X because I requested it from the library a while back but had to return it unread.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments I very much enjoyed Orphan X. Carol, I'd put it on your list again if you get a chance. Great month Dan!

message 10: by Jezzy (new)

Jezzy | 36 comments thanks for the thorough explanation, Dan. i'd keep that in mind so that i wouldnt expect too much when i get back to reading that series later.

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Love, love, love Chet and Bernie :)

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments Dawn wrote: "I very much enjoyed Orphan X. Carol, I'd put it on your list again if you get a chance. Great month Dan!"

Will do, Dawn, thanks!