Read to Lead discussion

Week 4 - Chapter 4 - Initiating Change Effectively

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 14 comments Mod
Hello and Welcome to Week Four of Read to lead! This week's discussion is about Initiating Change Effectively. Here are your questions...

1. Thank about a time when change was introduced effectively to your organization. What was it that worked so well?

2. If you were to implement a change in your department work work group who would your change leaders be and why?

message 2: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 14 comments Mod
If I were going to implement a change in a department I would first meet with the Librarian Is and get their feedback and input. I would then ask them to be leaders of the change. For example, we did a huge handselling pilot project. We needed to get all staff (but mostly the library assistants) to get on board with handselling at every transaction. The managers met with the LIs and we acknowledged that while they may be stellar at doing this, we need them to model and or gently remind other staff that we always have great things to "sell" at our desks. By including them in the process, it made them feel more a part of it. I also gave them a leadership opportunity. Lastly, the managers did not have to be the only ones to monitor the project. Before we implemented the project, we provided training on handselling and explained our expectations clearly. In addition, we could follow up individually with those who were not following through instead of addressing the whole staff

message 3: by Dale (new)

Dale Cousins | 3 comments I also think that you have to allow time for processing by key leaders. Often if they have the time to think it through, they can identify and head off resistance by having answers prepared and become the key spokespeople for the potential change.

message 4: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 14 comments Mod
I so agree Dale, processing time is important. Sometimes change comes to quickly and it's hard to implement unless people have fully grasped the concepts in the change.

message 5: by Dale (new)

Dale Cousins | 3 comments Chapter 5 is interesting to me in that it takes into account middle managers---a role I found myself in many times throughout my career. The role is one where you are often translating the vision of someone else and at the same time seeking buy in from employees. In my experience, it is difficult not to be distracted by emotional reactions on both ends of the spectrum. What have your experiences been when you are in a leadership role but are carrying forth the change/vision of someone else? Did you feel as if employees who were resistant to the message were hostile or were merely seeking a better understanding of the change---or both?

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy | 3 comments I would be interested to read an example of someone who was hostile (as opposed to merely resistant) but then, when they gained better understanding of the change they became supportive. I don't think I've experienced that, but I do think it would take a very long time - like by the time the change is a reality and the "hostile" person is reaping benefits of the change.