The Bowie Book Club discussion

Madame Bovary
This topic is about Madame Bovary
July 2016 - Madame Bovary > Which edition are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
Share with others any comments you may have about the book edition you are reading. This topic was created to help clearing any doubts on differences that the book may have from one publishing house to another.

This topic may be used to share information regarding where to get the book, as well. Do not share illegal files. Free files only of Public Domain works. Let’s be considerate with the authors.

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments This time I'll be reading in Croatian, since the book is originally in a language I don't speak. I've got an edition made for students, as Madame Bovary has been part of high school reading syllabus since forever.

Pedro Henrique | 36 comments Since my french is a bit rusty, and I have a few too many books on my night stand waiting to be read, I don't want to take all that time reading it in french, which will be quiet a hassle for me, I will read the Brazilian Portuguese edition from the publisher martin claret: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I'll be reading it in French obviously ;-) There are many annotated editions in French - I own myself three editions of Madame Bovary - but I'll be reading this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 5: by Lidiana (new) - added it

Lidiana | 440 comments Mod
I'll be reading the Kindle version... Very lame, I know, but it was for free :p

The cool paper versions that I liked were too expensive for my budget right now :(

Here's an interesting scientific article about the multiple retranslations in English of Madame Bovary: http://flaubert.revues.org/1538?lang=en

How is the book in your respective languages? Croatian, Brazilian Portuguese, English...? Any other languages?

message 7: by Rithesh (new)

Rithesh | 2 comments Lidiana wrote: "I'll be reading the Kindle version... Very lame, I know, but it was for free :p

The cool paper versions that I liked were too expensive for my budget right now :("

Well that's not lame, I'm listening to the free audio book from librivox. Ugh. And in English of coarse, because I took up learning french last week. Also I'm new to fiction. This should be interesting.

Adriana (momanem35) | 19 comments Rithesh wrote: "Well that's not lame, I'm listening to the free audio book from librivox. Ugh. And in English of coarse, because I took up learning french last week. Also I'm new to fiction. This should be interesting."

That's what I did. How is it going for you? I found a couple of readers to be just awful! I actually had to stop listening for those chapters and read on my Kindle.

message 9: by Rithesh (new)

Rithesh | 2 comments Adriana wrote: "Rithesh wrote: "Well that's not lame, I'm listening to the free audio book from librivox. Ugh. And in English of coarse, because I took up learning french last week. Also I'm new to fiction. This s..."

Just finished reading. It's the Lydia Davis (I think) translation and read by an, elderly gentleman who's name I do not remember. Yes I endured the librivox recording, I couldn't find a free e-book. It was quiet interesting overall. The only other novels I've read are Dan Brown so I really don't know how to quantify my experience with this book. I liked it. Perhaps I shouldn't have read any reviews before hand, the popular suggestion of giving her a "sassy" gay friend kept ringing in my head, but the idea made if funny at places. Sorry I'm responding so late, how did it go for you?

You could find it as e-book on Project Gutenberg. Some Librivox readers are great, others are just...hum.