Homer Public Library 15 in '16 discussion

Newsletter #6 (part 2) duplicate of email

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments ** I always love seeing what others think about books on the list. Here are some of the comments that have come in with recent submissions: (And I’m asking myself why it’s taken me so long to include these in the newsletters…)

--“I don't think I've ever read a book so sad that left me feeling so happy. Mrs. Mike is a sweet love story wonderfully grounded in the understanding that life does have a pattern and that happiness is often a choice. Oh, and every time
I read Oh-Be-Joyful's name I wanted to smile. How could you not?” –Aurora Firth on Mrs. Mike

--“The John Steinbeck fiction I've read to date has been so sad I've scarcely been able to appreciate his fine writing style. This nonfiction journey puts his evocative command of language on full display without depressing me so much. I can't help wondering what Steinbeck would think of America if he made the same trip today--though, as he indirectly points out near the end, the reader learns more about him than they learn about the America of the time by getting to look through his eyes for a little while.” –Aurora Firth on Travels With Charley

--“There is a reason this novel won the Pulitzer: the story is powerful, the writing vivid and convincing, but most of all is the voice that Nguen creates. I
want to read this book again.” –Anonymous on The Sympathizer

--“This is by far one of the best "history" books I have ever read. Vowell has a way of bringing history to life and making it relevant to today's world. I listened to the audio book, read by the author with assistance from a variety of others, I was enchanted by Lafayette and given a new way to look at the beginning of our country.”—Peggy Ostrom on Lafayette in the Somewhat United States

--“Fascinating book! I found myself identifying with Cutuk - feeling the pull of two different worlds, yet fitting into neither.”—Cathy Wilmeth on Ordinary Wolves

--“Loved the interwoven stories, and watching them play out through the centuries.”—Cindy Mom on TransAtlantic

--“Environmental disasters and social injustices. A compelling read.” --Catriona Reynolds on Strange as This Weather Has Been

-- “I listened to this book in audio format read by the author. Buck's reading style is sing-songish and halting which I found annoying at first, but I soon got used to it. There is something compelling about having the author read a book the way he thinks it and was thinking it during the writing. Anyway, it has a huge amount of fascinating information and history woven into a charming, sometimes alarming, sometimes funny account of the brothers' experiences as they actually take a covered wagon and three mules across the Oregon Trail during the summer of 2011. Very good book!”—Jerri Nagaruk on The Oregon Trail

--“Very enlightening book . No matter how far African Americans have come from slavery, they are always aware that in The US, they can be pulled over by a cop, arrested, beaten and killed...and there will be no justice. The author writes his story to his son, explaining all the ways a father worries about his son and how there is always that fear that no matter the economic status he is raised in, the education he has achieved, he can lose his life. When the author has an incident where a white woman pushes his 4 yr old son aside because she is in a hurry, he grabs her arm in anger and she threateningly tells him, ‘I could have you arrested.’ “—Anonymous on Between the World and Me

--“ I finished this book a few days ago, and have been letting it percolate a bit in my head. I am beginning to really appreciate the art of the graphic novel, and this book was no exception. Beautifully done, very powerful illustrations were throughout the book. But I am still learning the art, and I feel that there are things I missed, given that same art. And, the book brought to light just how much I really don't know about Iran and the incidents/state of affairs there. All in all, very thought provoking for me, and well worth the read!” –Cathy Wilmeth on Zahra’s Paradise

--“This poetry was written in language that matched the poems. It didn't try to be grand or gold-plated. It didn't try to be obscure. It sat down and told a story. I very much enjoyed that.”—Cathy Wilmeth on I Follow in the Dust She Raises

--“Loved this book as I could pick it up and continue on with their relationship (rather than read end to end in 1 sitting!) yet stay curious in-between times. Great conflicts + realizing self + keeping with values.”—Shirley Fedora on My Life Next Door

--“Here's to striking another book off the library's "not-yet-submitted" list! I don't remember having read a book before that became so interactive; during the course of this reading, I listened to Shostakovich's Fourth, Fifth, and of course, Seventh symphonies. The fact that I performed the Fifth with the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra a couple years ago has become more meaningful. There's a great deal I could say about this incredible story--about the clash of ideologies, about the unbelievable suffering and sacrifice of the Russian people under Stalin and during World War II, about the personality of Dmitri Shostakovich, about music and the other arts, about what it means to be human. Anyone who thinks music doesn't much matter ought to read Symphony for the City of the Dead.” –Aurora Firth on Symphony for the City of the Dead

Aren’t these reviews wonderful? Thanks to all who let me share their comments!

** And last but not least, here are the books that are still unaccounted for in our online submission platform:

1. Maphead by Ken Jennings
2. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
3. Voices in the Ocean by Susan Casey
4. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
5. Out on the Wire by Jessica Abel
6. All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren
7. The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis
8. Give us the Ballot by Ari Berman (I forgot to post this one last time.)
9. Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons
10. One Hundred Names for Love by Diane Ackerman
11. In Manchuria by Michael Meyer
12. Kids from Nowhere by George Guthridge
13. Deep South by Paul Theroux
14. My Sunshine Away by M.O. Walsh
15. Under Magnolia by Francis Mayes
16. After the Parade by Lori Ostlund
17. Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
18. Counting Heads by David Marusek
19. Barefoot Heart by Elva Trevino Hart
20. The Meadow by James Galvin

Thank you all for participating in the 15 in ’16 Reading Challenge. After the busy summer months, I’ll plan a get together so we can sit in one place and gab about books. Until then, enjoy the sun (or the clouds, whatever the case may be) and another good book!

Teresa

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 7 comments I just finished Fates and Furies. Beautiful writing and great story. Highly recommended.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 2 comments I agree! I've enjoyed both the books I've read by that author (Lauren Groff). The other was Arcadia.

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments I just finished listening to Fates and Furies. I wasn't sure how I felt about it until the end. The ending makes the book into something beautiful and Lauren Groff's excellent writing kept me with the story until the end. Wow, can she write!