Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Idea [not a bookwhack]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.B. (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments I've often wondered whether book trailers are worth the time and money spent on them. Most independent authors are short on both of these commodities. Sooo... maybe an animated gif?

This one took me about two hours to make using only PowerPoint and the Giphy web site. If you want to make your own, it's pretty easy:

1) Import your cover, illustrations, titles... whatnot into PowerPoint.

2) Use the animation tab to create one animated slide (I find it handy to put all of the "fix'ns" on other slides).

3) Fuss with the composition and animation timing until you like it (hint, keep things way simple).

4) Fuss with it some more. Tip: draw a line with no color in your figure. You can make it appear then disappear to create longer pauses.

5) When you're happy with your creation, do a "Save As" to create a copy and delete all slides except your animation. Love it?

6) Okay, here's the cool part (and a trick that not too many know about). Do another "Save-As," but this time select file type: MPG4 and save your PowerPoint animation as a video (whoa!).

7) Now upload your masterpiece to Giphy and let it create a cool animated gif for use with twitter, blogs, emails and general bookwhacking as you see fit.

[DISCLAIMER: this is not a bookwhack. Do not buy this book, it's poorly edited, it's altogether too long, and it features rape, murder, dark gods, pillaging, menstrual cramps and other horrible nastiness. Do not buy it... just NO. Get yourself a nice latte instead, you'll enjoy it more, I promise.]

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
I personally like the idea myself, an interactive cover to share on facebook and other social media would probably drive a lot of traffic towards a book. That's an awesome idea C.B., and looks well executed to me.

message 3: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
I am waiting for the day that this kind of thing is allowed on Amazon as your legitimate book cover.

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan Carney | 19 comments C.B. Matson wrote: "I've often wondered whether book trailers are worth the time and money spent on them. Most independent authors are short on both of these commodities. Sooo... maybe an animated gif?

Holy Crap!! What a great idea!! I'm such a techno virgin, I had no idea this kind of thing was possible. I'm definitely trying it!

This one to..."

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

C.B. wrote: "I am waiting for the day that this kind of thing is allowed on Amazon as your legitimate book cover."

I think that'd be kind of busy on a page filled with 25+ results. Maybe on the book page have it be a feature. Like a YouTube channel intro video.

Ugh. You have inspired me to really want more dynamic book pages on Amazon. *sighs at the pipe dream*

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) C.B. wrote: "I am waiting for the day that this kind of thing is allowed on Amazon as your legitimate book cover."

I agree with Sarah. Amazon's sales pages would look like Buzzfeed lists. Maybe only on the product page itself, but not with autoplay engaged.

message 7: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

True. I forget that not all book cover designers would be subtle like I would and just have some glittery stars...

message 8: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 108 comments something well worth considering but the process of doing it just went over my head :(

message 9: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments C.B. wrote: "True. I forget that not all book cover designers would be subtle like I would and just have some glittery stars..."

Are you telling me there wouldn't be a pants drop in there? Really? CB I think I'm disappointed.

message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments In all seriousness though, glittery stars would be lovely and small effects on certain covers would make them seem rather like a portrait gallery in the Harry Potter world. With the odd character winking at you, etc. T'would be pretty neat, methinks.

message 11: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Virginia wrote: "Are you telling me there wouldn't be a pants drop in there? Really? CB I think I'm disappointed. Are you telling me there wouldn't be a pants drop in there? Really?..."

Oh right! I forgot who I was for a second there!

message 12: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments C.B. wrote: "Oh right! I forgot who I was for a second there!"

Whew! You had me worried.

message 13: by C.B. (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments Nope, C.B. (the other C.B.) was right the first time. For an Amazon cover, glittering stars, winking eye would be okay (no pants-drop, no nip-slip, none of that).

The gif I made is intended for Twitter where it has to compete with a lot of other graphics for attention. However, they're so easy to put together that multiple variations are always possible.

(but if C.B. was inclined to do a pants-drop cover...)

message 14: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

True, a fun glittery book cover would make for a good twitter gif ad!

message 15: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments It's a really cool idea. The concept of an animated gif of one of my illustrations has been floating around my head for a while now. I really want to try it.

message 16: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 22 comments What a neat idea. I'm adding it to my ToDo list (which is long enough to circle the globe, twice).