Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 2. What are the various laws, rules, and regulations...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
What are the various laws, rules, and regulations-familial, social, cultural, political, and religious-including "the Love Laws," to which Roy makes repeated references?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
The caste system is alive and well in this novel. I am glad that I have read other books on the subject as I think it helped me better understand this story. Each character in this book was struggling with one of the laws, rules or regulations. Baby Kochamma who became a Christian, Chacko who married a white woman and Ammu who was in love with someone lower on the caste system.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
I agree with Diane. Even if you "become a Christian", life is still controlled by the caste system.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments I agree with Diane, but there was also some hypocrisy in the application or breaching of these rules. For example, think of Chacko's Men's Needs door and his gallivanting with the pickle factory female employees; his behaviour was condoned by the same people who repudiated another (female) divorcee for the same behaviour (Ammu).