Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
This topic is about The Thousand Names
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Thousand Names

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
For people who haven't read the first book and want to catch up for book 2 starting July 12th.

message 2: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Anyone besides me?

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
For anyone who wants to start now, I am a little over half-way through. It is very fresh in my mind and I could talk about the beginning too.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

And I only finished last week so it's fresh for me as well.

message 5: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Cool. I will be starting as soon as I get it :)

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli wrote: "Cool. I will be starting as soon as I get it :)"

I hope you love it as much as I am right now. :)

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments What a coincidence, I've just bought the first three books from this series(is the fourth even out yet?) so I might just join you guys in reading them!

I had just started reading Ready Player One yesterday but I can pause that if necessary as I've only read a dozen pages of that so far.

Do you mind telling me what kind of fantasy this one compares to? Is it more Brandon Sanderson? Peter V. Brett(that's the vibe I'm getting from the covers) or something else?

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "What a coincidence, I've just bought the first three books from this series(is the fourth even out yet?) so I might just join you guys in reading them!

I had just started reading Ready Player One ..."

I haven't read anything from Brett, but it's a pretty easy military fantasy. I would ompare it to Promise of Blood. Both great books.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow. I just finished the book! My review (no spoilers). I can't wait for you to start, Eli and Dan, so we can talk about it! 5/5* from me.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

It was awesome.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Jenna wrote: "Wow. I just finished the book! My review (no spoilers). I can't wait for you to start, Eli and Dan, so we can talk about it! 5/5* from me."

Hype successfully increased! I shall be starting to read it this weekend, I hope to enjoy it as much as you did.

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Wow. I just finished the book! My review (no spoilers). I can't wait for you to start, Eli and Dan, so we can talk about it! 5/5* from me."

Hype successfully increased! I shall be st..."

Haha, I'm glad I convinced you! :)

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I thought I'd try to get some book discussion going. A question for those who have read the book or have just started: Marcus or Winter: who do you like better and why?

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Jenna wrote: "So I thought I'd try to get some book discussion going. A question for those who have read the book or have just started: Marcus or Winter: who do you like better and why?"

Winter so far but I'm only like, a hundred pages in! Still loads to go so my opinion doesn't count for much yet. Good start for both of them though, I'm enjoying them.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Winter so far but I'm only like, a hundred pages in! Still loads to go so my opinion doesn't count for much yet. Good start for both of them though, I'm enjoying them. "

I also liked Winter a bit better than Marcus. So often nowadays I find authors (mostly and especially YA) feel the need to have a strong female lead, but not every girl in the world is like that. I felt Winter was a good balance between the two stereotypes of ridiculously strong and independent, and completely helpless. She can't control everything happening because she is not in charge, she is terrified that someone will find out she is a woman and is totally scared of Davis. On the other hand, she did escape from her past successfully (as far as we know so far) and she will stand up to people for the sake of doing the right thing (not sure how much of that you have seen yet, but I was sufficiently vague).

I did like Marcus as well, but I mostly liked him because I was curious about Janus and he was the character interacting most with Janus.

message 16: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Jenna wrote: "Dan wrote: "Winter so far but I'm only like, a hundred pages in! Still loads to go so my opinion doesn't count for much yet. Good start for both of them though, I'm enjoying them. "

I also liked W..."

Janus is actually my favorite character so far! What's up with him? Very curious about him too.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I liked Janus as well. I loved the book but I did wish there was more perspective from the other side especially given how good the prologue was.

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "I liked Janus as well. I loved the book but I did wish there was more perspective from the other side especially given how good the prologue was."

I was totally opposite - I hated the prologue...I had read the prologue when I bought it a couple years ago and then stopped reading which I don't normally do.

message 19: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Janus is actually my favorite character so far! What's up with him? Very curious about him too...."

Wait and see!

message 20: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I am still waiting to get my copy from the library. Growing a bit impatient too. It usually doesn't take this long.

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli wrote: "I am still waiting to get my copy from the library. Growing a bit impatient too. It usually doesn't take this long."

It's a pretty easy read so don't worry if you are behind the schedule - you can catch up pretty easily.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "I was totally opposite - I hated the prologue...I had read the prologue when I bought it a couple years ago and then stopped reading which I don't normally do."

What did you hate about it? I loved the mystical and ominous tone it set.

message 23: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I was totally opposite - I hated the prologue...I had read the prologue when I bought it a couple years ago and then stopped reading which I don't normally do."

What did you hate abo..."

I don't even know, but it toook me super long to read the prologue compared to the first chapter or two and every page I turned, I was counting how many I had left. I don't have any real reason for disliking this one (I usually do), but I don't often count down pages...

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "I don't even know, but it toook me super long to read the prologue compared to the first chapter or two and every page I turned, I was counting how many I had left. I don't have any real reason for disliking this one (I usually do), but I don't often count down pages..."

You should re-read it now knowing what you know.

message 25: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I don't even know, but it toook me super long to read the prologue compared to the first chapter or two and every page I turned, I was counting how many I had left. I don't have any r..."

That's probably a good idea. I probably wouldn't dislike it so much.

message 26: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments So, I'm on chapter 15, just over the half line. I had a busy week but i should be able to finish this book this weekend. I gotta say it's getting very engrossing! Couple of observations from the last couple of chapters:

1. Finally got a chapter with Marcus away from Janus. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to hold a chapter on his own as Janus is obviously the more interesting character but I'm happy to report that the chapter was actually very good and it seems that Marcus is becoming an interesting character all on his own. Good to see that.

2. Finally got my first real glimpse at magic and I gotta say I'm hyped! I'm always very interested in the magic systems of the fantasy books i read and I can't wait to get more details from it!

3. Jen Alhundt's appearance at the end of chapter 14 is(view spoiler)

All in all I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "So, I'm on chapter 15, just over the half line. I had a busy week but i should be able to finish this book this weekend. I gotta say it's getting very engrossing! Couple of observations from the la..."

Yeah, the magic doesn't really reveal itself until much later than a lot of fantasy books, but I really liked what he did with his magic system when it was revealed.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow Dan you crushed this book. Janus really is such a classic character. The magic system is very cool.

message 29: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Just finished chapter 22 and Janus is an arrogant stupid bastard, that's all I have to say. I'll carry on reading now...

message 30: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Never mind that, Janus is pretty cool. Haha

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janus rules.

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Just finished chapter 22 and Janus is an arrogant stupid bastard, that's all I have to say. I'll carry on reading now...

Never mind that, Janus is pretty cool. Haha "

I had this emotional hate-Janus-for-a-second ride as well.

message 33: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Just finished it, I'll review it later or tomorrow.

Loved it, 5 stars. I enjoyed every main character and I'm really curious about Bobby. I can't wait to find out more about all of this. Starting next book tomorrow.

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 10, 2016 07:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Just finished it, I'll review it later or tomorrow.

Loved it, 5 stars. I enjoyed every main character and I'm really curious about Bobby. I can't wait to find out more about all of this. Starting ..."

Already starting tomorrow? Well then I guess you'll get a head start on our buddy read on Tuesday. :)

message 35: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Jenna wrote: "Dan wrote: "Just finished it, I'll review it later or tomorrow.

Loved it, 5 stars. I enjoyed every main character and I'm really curious about Bobby. I can't wait to find out more about all of thi..."

I thought it was starting tomorrow? Haha! Well, I'm a slow reader, specially during the week, so I'm sure I won't really read much tomorrow, sadly. Are you joining on Tuesday?

message 36: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Dan wrote: "Just finished it, I'll review it later or tomorrow.

Loved it, 5 stars. I enjoyed every main character and I'm really curious about Bobby. I can't wait to find out more ab..."

Yes I am! I also loved The Thousand Names. :)

message 37: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Yay, I just got the book! Only a little too late ;) Oh well, I will start it as soon as I have finished off a few of my current reads.

message 38: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Eli wrote: "Yay, I just got the book! Only a little too late ;) Oh well, I will start it as soon as I have finished off a few of my current reads."

I'm glad you'll be able to join us! This book is a great read. :)

message 39: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments So I have just started the book and I have to agree with Jenna about the prologue. I did not like it at all. I almost got a little dismayed for a while there, but the first chapter has already made me forget about all that.

I do very seldom appreciate prologues, though. I guess I'm just a little too impatient to get going with the story.

message 40: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Eli wrote: "So I have just started the book and I have to agree with Jenna about the prologue. I did not like it at all. I almost got a little dismayed for a while there, but the first chapter has already made..."

That's so odd, I really liked the prologue. I mean, it's not a George RR Martins prologue but it sets the tone really well I thought. Oh well, glad you're enjoying the rest though.

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli what did you dislike about the prologue? Jenna couldn't really identify what turned her off to it. I'm just curious because I found this one to really set the tone.

message 42: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I think it was just... boring, I guess. Sure it set the tone, but I think it could have been done in a more inticing way.

I think the scene felt a bit extraneous (for lack of a more fitting English word) to me. I don't like how it starts with a meeting (generally boring stuff in my book) full of people I don't know (which doesn't help to catch my attention) with no particular point of view. It just didn't draw me in in any way. But I guess that is why it's a prologue rather than a first chapter - and why I generally don't like prologues.

I'm sure it's just a matter of preference.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fair enough.

I actually found it mystical and wish they included a bit more of it during the book. The ending had a lot of it and was fantastic.

message 44: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli wrote: "So I have just started the book and I have to agree with Jenna about the prologue. I did not like it at all. I almost got a little dismayed for a while there, but the first chapter has already made..."

I feel the same way about prologues in general - I usually dislike them. The big exception here is Malazan, because Erikson has some of the best prologues I've ever read.

message 45: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments So, I am about 100 pages in now (just finished part 1) and really getting invested in the story. So far I am huge fan of Winter, but I still feel like I need to get a little "closer" to Marcus and Janus to really develop any attachment to them.

message 46: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli wrote: "So, I am about 100 pages in now (just finished part 1) and really getting invested in the story. So far I am huge fan of Winter, but I still feel like I need to get a little "closer" to Marcus and ..."

Winter is more likeable right from the beginning, I think. It took me a bit longer to feel the same way about Marcus, but I love him and Janus too.

message 47: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Jenna wrote: "Eli wrote: "So, I am about 100 pages in now (just finished part 1) and really getting invested in the story. So far I am huge fan of Winter, but I still feel like I need to get a little "closer" to..."

That's pretty much what I said in my review! Although, to be fair, Janus pretty much grabbed me from the beginning.

message 48: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Eli wrote: "So, I am about 100 pages in now (just finished part 1) and really getting invested in the story. So far I am huge fan of Winter, but I still feel like I need to get a litt..."

Janus is just so fascinating. You don't really know what to make of him until the end...and even then, there is plenty of room for more reveals.

message 49: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Janus does strike an interesting figure. I'm looking forward to learn more about him!

Jonathan | 6 comments I just started part 3, and I am impressed with the pace of the book. Over two-thirds done, and I'm not really sure how it all will come together (or will it!); really looking forward to seeing where the story goes. Marcus has grown on me considerably, and Janus, well he's just a mystery at this point.

« previous 1