World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > How to make sure the book doesn't fall into the wrong hands?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15694 comments Yeah, I know, authors seek readers and I here come with an opposite idea, how to limit the book's access to the wrong readership. But, yes, it would be naive to think that our books have a universal appeal.
I think it's our prime concern that the book would be read only by those readers, who are likely to like it. Otherwise - one/two stars, bad word of mouth, your confidence shaken and so on.
Do you agree with such a concern? Does the disclaimer, where you can mention that the book contains this and that and forewarn the reader, solves the issue?

message 2: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson (nexus_engel) | 52 comments I always put warnings and age recommendations at the start of all my books. Whether people choose to heed them or not is up to them.

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson (nexus_engel) | 52 comments I don't think it solves the issue, but it's a good precaution to take nonetheless.

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments At first, I didn't have anything in my book description. I changed that this year by stating, "This novel contains strong language, violence and sexual content." At least it gives the reader a choice to read it, and they're not surprised, which could result in a poor rating/review. I think it does help narrow down the readership. I don't want someone who reads cozy mysteries because of the lightness of them to buy my book if swearing, violence and sex is something they abhor. It's only right of me to warn them. It saves them the money, and me a poor rating.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15694 comments Yeah, maybe like in music industry Parental Advisory and Explicit content warning labels can be beneficial.
I also put a pretty elaborate warning. Maybe it's so effective that most readers shun the books -:)

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15694 comments Do you want readers who are likely not to like your book read it anyway? To "convince" them maybe? -:)

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. I just go by the genre, so unless it is a children's book, YA, or erotica, I assume it is for an adult audience and don't need warning labels; if a movie that would be maybe GP-13 through R, more or less. :)

message 8: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I write clean suspense and romantic/suspense and I state that in the descriptions. That should be enough description for someone looking for something graphic and darker.

And I would appreciate a description on books to let me know what I'm in for. I don't know how many times I've started a book only to be offended by the second page with the onslaught of the "F" word, and women being called bitches, and so forth. I write clean and I like to read clean.

message 9: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 152 comments Me too. But the other point about your book falling in to the wrong hands is if you give an ebook away for a review - how do you know it won't be pirated?

message 10: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I think about that when I send one in PDF. But everybody does it so it must be okay. And I know Amazon has it where your book can't be copied. Besides, I think a lot of us don't have anything to worry about unless your book is bringing in millions:)

message 11: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2278 comments Worked for a grocery store that sold the reusable bags with the logo on them, but stores saw it as a problem when people would rip the tags off and pretend they came in with them (ie. they stole them). One day the district manager comes in and addresses the complaint. "So what? It's free advertising!"

Not to excuse piracy, but those people are not going to buy it anyway, so it's not exactly a lost sale. On the other hand, if they liked it, they may tell a friend who is inclined to buy it.

message 12: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1814 comments I am tough on reviews. I do wish we had more than 5 stars on Amazon and Goodreads. On my profile I explain how I review books, but who knows if anyone reads that.

When it ends up being a story I couldn't relate to, I try to set that aside and concentrate on the writing, editing, character and worldbuilding, and believability in rating it or writing any comments about it.

I read a free short story that was not my cup of tea as to content, but I was so impressed with the writing style and expression of ideas, that I had to give it a good review. In my review I did point out how dark it was so that others who might normally read books I give 4 or 5 stars to would be aware it was not my usual. I bought a collection of his stories because I was so impressed with the writing style. I became an ARC reviewer for the author. As a reader, sometimes excellent writing and strange new ideas can open our minds too.

It's too much effort for me to share books from my kindle. Literally plugging in the USB plus is difficult for me. Basically, I am too lazy to pirate books.

I hadn't thought about it before but if I own a paperback or hardcover, there is no reason why I can't lend it to someone, even when the author or publisher has sent it to me for free in return for the expectation of a review. Last year I received at least a half dozen printed books for free. (Usually, I donate them to Goodwill.)

When purchased, especially, when some authors price their e-books close to the price of their printed book do you feel it is ok to share it? Some might make the argument that for 99 cents people should buy their own. Yet, I can go to a used book store and easily buy a paperback for 50 cents to $3.

I receive free ebooks from authors with expectations of reviews. I obtain free ebooks from Amazon. Is there some rule for books? We all know the movies and tv industry put those piracy warnings on videos/disks, but that has been applied to if you do it to make money. There is no law against giving them away or selling used videos in a yard sale or to a store. I am curious because I hadn't thought about it before.

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15694 comments Do your books have an "unwanted" readership or do they offer a universal appeal?

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11472 comments Sadly, neither. To claim "universal appeal" on my sales penetration would be a gross misrepresentation of reality :-(

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 268 comments A few decades ago, the ex wife of Al Gore had suggested that albums (the precursor of CDs and way before streaming) be in a jacket that printed the lyrics on the back so that parents could see the content. She took a lot of flak for it, was (wrongly, I thought) called a censor.
If by. "the wrong hands" you mean books with adult content, violence, language, etc getting into the hands of children, that's not possible to avoid 100%. If you mean books getting into the hands of people who don't like that content, that's not avoidable either.
As a reader, there are things I don't like and won't read - if I encounter that material a book, I give up on it and certainly wouldn't review it. I would only review books I've read, and I don't believe authors (screenwriters, lyricists) should be censored.
So authors should write the story they want to write in the best possible prose they're capable of - but if anything happens to the dog, do not walk down my street.