Missing or Murdered
This topic is about Missing or Murdered
Group reads > July 2016 - Missing or Murdered by Robin Forsythe

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9292 comments Mod
Welcome to our July group read,
Missing or Murdered by Robin Forsythe.

This is a general thread, so please no spoilers - there is also a separate spoiler thread.

I felt this book took a few pages to get going but was then very enjoyable, with a fun eccentric detective. Hope others enjoy it too.

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 104 comments I love the comical artist/detective. Great character

Susan | 10358 comments Mod
I didn't know what to expect from this, but I really enjoyed it too. I liked Algernon Vereker and Detective Inspector Heather and will certainly read the next in the series at some point.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2147 comments I enjoyed this book , and loved the relationship between Vereker and the policeman. Both men ,I found to be likeable characters, as Vereker did, to some extent, put me in of Lord Peter. Another author to add to my long list , thanks to this club!

He reminded me a bit of some of the characters in Georgette Heyer's mysteries - a lot of fun. I like the relationship between him and Heather too, though at times it's a bit hard to believe how much they seem to regard detection as a game and how keen they are to compete with each other!

message 7: by Judy (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin Forsythe had a very interesting life, as a civil servant who was jailed for a theft conspiracy and started writing while in prison. I enjoyed the introduction about him in the Dean Street Press edition and also found this blog article which has some more info about his life.

I didn't notice any obvious spoilers in this article, but it does mention a few things that happen in the book so some might prefer to save it for after they have finished.

http://promotingcrime.blogspot.co.uk/...

I'm pleased to see that he and Heather work together in 4 more books - something to look forward to!

Yes, the introduction was fascinating, wasn't it? How interesting that he was a criminal, before becoming a crime writer!

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2147 comments Yes, having read that,I did wonder if his portrayal of the police would be one of antagonism.

Phyllis Just started the book - and really enjoying it so far. I'm very glad that I found the group in time for this one.

Yes, loving all these little known and re-discovered mysteries.

message 12: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

A very minor point, but does anyone know how to pronounce Vereker? I have just googled it and it is a real surname, but found no indication of how it is said. I'm guessing VERiker, but I could be wrong.

message 13: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Answering my own question, after listening to the classic mysteries podcast, the presenter pronounced it as I'd guessed.

Yes, I would have put the emphasis on VERiker as well, Judy. Those classic mystery podcasts are short, but interesting. It would have been nice to have had maybe two or more people actually having a conversation about the books, rather than a straight review though.

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, I agree - and maybe they could discuss a couple of books? Still enjoyable though.

message 16: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

There are quite a few writer detectives around, but I think Vereker might be the only artist I've come across - apart from Agatha Troy in the Ngaio Marsh books, who does sometimes help Alleyn in his detection.

There seem to be a lot of artist characters in Golden Age novels, though, even if they aren't always the detectives. At the moment we have Vereker in this book, and Wimsey mingling with a group of painters in Scotland in Five Red Herrings! We've also had Georgette Heyer and Margery Allingham books involving artists recently. I suppose the authors enjoyed portraying the Bohemian lifestyle.

message 17: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Judy wrote: "A very minor point, but does anyone know how to pronounce Vereker? I have just googled it and it is a real surname, but found no indication of how it is said. I'm guessing VERiker, but I could be w..."

Given how the English love to elide names, I would have said VERker, making it only two syllables.

Judy, I hadn't thought of that, but you are right. There are a lot of artists and there often seem to be a lot of writers in these mysteries. Not that I object, but it does seem to be a recurring theme.

message 19: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Had an unexpected extra hour waiting for my wife in the doctor's office (only thought it would take an hour so went off shopping for that hour only to come back and find they were running way, way behind!) so was able to almost finish. Should be done soon, and am eager to see what the spoiler thread is saying about it.

The joy of being a reader, Everyman, is that we never waste those hours of having to wait somewhere. For others it is an annoyance - for us a reading opportunity :)

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is anyone planning to read more books by Robin Forsythe? I think I'd like to go on to read more by him, especially as Dean Street Press has reprinted quite a few. They are bringing out so many books, it's hard to keep up with them!

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2147 comments Judy wrote: "Is anyone planning to read more books by Robin Forsythe? I think I'd like to go on to read more by him, especially as Dean Street Press has reprinted quite a few. They are bringing out so many book..."

I have bought Polo Ground Mystery, which I believe is the second book, but not sure when I will be reading it

It is hard to keep up generally, but I would certainly read another. I made the mistake of mentioning to a non-bookish friend yesterday how I sometimes find it hard to keep up with my book clubs and reviewing and she was astonished and dismissive. Only my book club, and Goodreads friends, understand that we bookworms often start too many books at once and have deadlines :)

message 24: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Jill wrote: "Judy wrote: "Is anyone planning to read more books by Robin Forsythe? I think I'd like to go on to read more by him, especially as Dean Street Press has reprinted quite a few. They are bringing out..."

I got several as ebooks from my library. They're sitting on my Kindle, but they are sitting there with over 100 other unread books, so don't know when/whether I'll ever get to them.

message 25: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, in this Kindle era the problem is how easy it is to download loads of books, and borrow more from Overdrive etc - but then getting them all read is quite a challenge, let alone reviewing them too. I've said this before, Susan, but I don't know how you do it!

I read a lot when commuting on the train, or when waiting in the car to pickup my kids. I think we all have time if we utilise it. However, I have also tried to cut down the books I am taking on NetGalley, so I don't feel pressured to finish too many books in time. I think I have a serious book addiction, but I doubt I will ever be cured of it...