Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Question about use of shock collars for crime book

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe | 112 comments Hi all

So I have a question about shock collars, you know the kind that some people use to try to get dogs to stop barking. Anyways, I don't want to use one on either of my doggies, but I am thinking of it as a possibility to use on one of the characters in the current book I'm writing, but I'm not sure that it would fit with the storyline. I've tried looking up information about them on the internet and it seems that they kind of stop barking, sometimes, but not other sounds like whining. If I end up using it in my book it has to be able to stop someone from making loud sounds (yelling for help) but allow quiet whispering, does anyone know if a shock collar would do that or not? Or if you could modify it to do that? Either way I still may not end up using it but it would be SUPER helpful if some knowledgable person could enlighten me!

Thanks in advance

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Well my nephew tried it...twice. Once on purpose the other, by accident. When he barked while the pins were on his neck, it zapped the heck out of him. Of course a person wouldn't bark. They'd shout. Well, the same nephew had it near his neck and laughed and it zapped him. So I'm guessing any kind of loud sound would zap the person. I am quite sure someone could whisper with it. It's not the noise that starts it but the vibration caused by the vocal chords. (Do I need to say that he stays away from that collar now? He's not willing to risk it again.) :P

Maybe someone else can help.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments OMfreakinG, Miss Jane!! I'm gonna pee myself laughing!!! I totally thought this was a thread about BDSM. I was coming to help...but alas...I don't own a puppy XD

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe | 112 comments GG that helps tons, and is totally in line with what someone else just told me about the vocal chords, so I'm thinking it would work okay for my book, allowing quiet sounds but not loud ones

Annie, I'm glad that made you laugh, maybe I should change the name of the thread to be clearer! You're too funny!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Knew someone who used it on her dog. I concur with G.G. and what your friend told you. Any vibration from clearing your throat, to coughing, and even talking will set it off. However, whispering does not vibrate the vocal cords, so it won't go off, just like when breathing or panting. Put your fingers against your throat and you'll see what I mean.