Play Book Tag discussion

June, 2016: Fantasy > An Ember in the Ashes by Tahir

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments 3.5 stars
Just finished it so will come back and update the review tomorrow since i'm falling asleep currently.

It was okay for me. It did take me about 100 pages to become engaged in the story. I really hate the overused love triangle trope in YA literature and always mark down considerably when authors use love triangles to try and build tension. This book had enough other events to build tension without requiring a love triangle (two triangles to be fair).

Not sure if I like it enough to keep on reading. We shall see.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I feel the same way as you about the next book. Perhaps I should read it instead of listening so I can skim the love triangles. Playing them on a faster speed would make it all too cartoonish.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I read the first half and listened to the second half. I guess I'm a sucker, I liked the triangles. :/ I guess because I'm old and married. ;) It did take me a bit to get into, I liked it much better after the stories of the two narrators overlapped. I liked quite a lot how she switched from one narrator to the other with varying amounts of overlap.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I'm married too and pretty sure I'm older than you :)

Love triangles are one of my bookish pet peeves. I don't deny that they can be entertaining to read about and I get why others like them. However, I think it's a cheap way for authors to build tension and in this book it wasn't needed because there is enough tension to go around. I just read three books in a row with love triangles and in extra grumpy about it.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Lol!