Everything Other World discussion

1 view
Books from monthly reading list > June 2016 Book: Prudence: The Custard Protocol: Book 1

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
Well July is tomorrow, and I decided it was time to lead off the discussion of Gail Garroter's book, Prudence. This is part of a series called The Custard Protocol. It is set in the same world as The Parasol Protectorate. I don't get to read nearly enough steam punk so I picked the book up at Toadstool Books in Milford NH. I actually enjoyed the book in spite of it's tongue in cheek style. Or perhaps because of it.

Prudence Alessandra Maccon Akeldama (Rue to her friends) is a metanatural, who can steal the power of other beings temporarily. She is gifted a dirigible that she calls The Spotted custard and floats off to India. She is on a mission to source some excellent tea when she is embroiled in the kidnapping of a brigadier's wife.

I enjoyed the "science" of the alternate universe of steam punk. They seemed to have something similar to hyperspace in some science fiction shows called the aetherosphere. What strikes me is the tongue in cheek nature of some of the incidents that stereotypical of Victorian England. The obsession with tea for instance. There are also several times when Rue uses her abilities to steal the form of a werewolf and when she loses the form, she's worried about people seeing her bloomers.

What did everyone else think?

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Thanks, Kurt, for suggesting this book. In the past, my tastes tended to gravitate more towards spiritual types of books, but I'm really beginning to get into the sci-fi genre, especially ones where authors project today's worries and social problems into tomorrow's possible realities. And, when the two can be combined, it's reading bliss.

I found this book intriguing because I love tales where supernatural abilities are explored.

I also connected with this book's obsession over tea, since my husband and I spend a good part of our day making sure we get enough of the caffeinated liquid throughout the day.

Anyone else like this book?

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
I happen to be a tea drinker myself. I never really developed a taste for coffee. I learned to drink loose tea when I was in Ireland.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
I had the same experience when I stayed in Taiwan. I got hooked on loose oolong tea. That's the best stuff.