Classical Obsessions discussion

Who is your least favorite character in a Classic? (I'm specifically thinking Period Dramas here, but other classics are also allowed.)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Who are those characters that you just love to hate? The really slimy ones that make you want to gag. Or maybe characters that are just sooooooo annoying you can't bear to read about them. Maybe a character that is so bumbling that he or she ruins everything constantly and makes you want to shake your fist at them. Or maybe even a well-beloved character in the fandom that everybody adores and that you simply find too obnoxious for words.

message 2: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Fanny Dashwood, from Sense and Sensibility. Jeremiah Flintwinch, from Little Dorrit. Marius, from Les Mis. And one that I really have trouble with liking is Marguerite, from The Scarlet Pimpernel. I don't hate her necessarily, but I find it very difficult to like her. She's kind of a Mary-Sue.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Fanny Dashwood. Of course!
Josie Pye, Caroline Bingley, Mr and Mrs Elton, Uriah Heep (such a unique name that you can NEVER forget it), Bill Sikes etc...

message 4: by Bethany (last edited Jul 01, 2016 12:42AM) (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Uriah Heep and the Murdstones from David Copperfield. Augusta Elton from Emma. Isabella and John Thorpe from Northanger Abbey. Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Monks from Oliver Twist. Josie Pie from Anne of Green Gables, and Nellie Oleson from Little Town on the Prairie.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Bethany wrote: "Uriah Heep and the Murdstones from David Copperfield. Augusta Elton from Emma. Isabella and John Thorpe from Northanger Abbey. Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Monks fro..."

Oh yes, I forgot about Nellie Oleson! :D

message 6: by Bethany (last edited Jul 01, 2016 12:59AM) (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Felicity wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Uriah Heep and the Murdstones from David Copperfield. Augusta Elton from Emma. Isabella and John Thorpe from Northanger Abbey. Fagin, Bill Sike..."

I don't know when she was at her worst, as a child, bullying Laura and Mary, or as an adult, doing her best to steal Almanzo Wilder away from Laura, and sucking up to his sister!

message 7: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elline Pelline | 46 comments Mod
If we counts Harry Potter as a classic? Gilderoy Lockhart! I love hating him <3

message 8: by Έλλη (new)

Έλλη (ellietolia) | 10 comments I agree with you all! I especially hate Mrs Elton, Fanny Dashwood and her mother, Mr Collins, George Wickham, Isabella and John Thorpe, Caroline Bingley, Lucy Steele and Lady Susan from Austen.
Umbridge from Harry Potter and Lockhart of course!
From Game of Thrones (it's a phantasy classic!), I hate Joffrey Baratheon, Ramsay Bolton, Cersei Lannister and Littlefinger!

I also absolutely hate Becky Sharp and George Osborne from Vanity Fair, Charlotte Bartlett from 'A Room with A View' and I can't think of anyone else right now but there are also others!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Mrs. Norris and Henry Crawford from "Mansfield Park," definitely. Also John Willoughby and Mr. Elliot and Frank Churchilll (more Austen villains ;-) ) And I'm sorry, folks, but I cannot STAND Henry Tilney. I do understand he's not a "bad" person and he means well and all that; but he drives me completely crazy.

Nellie Oleson, absolutely. SHE'S SO ANNOYING.

Don't forget Prof. Moriarty from the "Sherlock Holmes" stories . . .

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Mrs. Norris and Henry Crawford from "Mansfield Park," definitely. Also John Willoughby and Mr. Elliot and Frank Churchilll (more Austen villains ;-) ) And I'm sorry, folks, but I cannot STAND Henry..."

WHAT. Henry Tilney?!?! He's like one of my favourites! I can't stand Catherine Morland, she's SO annoying and childish and she doesn't deserve Mr Tilney.

But at least I can agree on Prof. Moriarty. Andrew Scott does an amazing job as Moriarty, I don't think anyone else would fit in the role as well as he does!

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Mrs. Norris and Henry Crawford from "Mansfield Park," definitely. Also John Willoughby and Mr. Elliot and Frank Churchilll (more Austen villains ;-) ) And I'm sorry, folks, but I ca..."

No, I don't like Henry Tilney at all. Sorry ;-)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Mrs. Norris and Henry Crawford from "Mansfield Park," definitely. Also John Willoughby and Mr. Elliot and Frank Churchilll (more Austen villains ;-) ) And I'm sorry..."

We all have different opinions, so it's okay :-)

message 13: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Okay, seeing as how Jessica told how she doesn't like Henry Tilney, I will tell my least favorite Austen hero.

Please don't hate me.

Mr. Darcy.

*ducks a hail of projectiles thrown at me by rabid Darcy fangirls*

Sorry!

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 08:25AM) (new)

Elsabet wrote: "Okay, seeing as how Jessica told how she doesn't like Henry Tilney, I will tell my least favorite Austen hero.

Please don't hate me.

Mr. Darcy.

*ducks a hail of projectiles thrown at me by..."

I don't hate you. I kind of agree with you! He's not my type at all, and I don't like him either.

message 15: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Oh good, someone who agrees with me! No body else does! I thought I was entirely alone. For my part, I was always quite fond of Colonel Brandon and Captain Wentworth, but Darcy didn't really impress me too much. I loved Elizabeth though. And I have a cousin who is every bit as sweet as Jane.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)

message 17: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle of reading Emma for the first time. I like Mr. Knightly very much, but I utterly despise the Eltons.

message 18: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) I agree with both you girls! I really like Mt Knightley (and Henry Tilney), and I really don't like Mr Darcy!

message 19: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle of reading Emma for the first time. I like Mr. Knightly very much..."

Yes, the Eltons are terrible! I can't stand the simpering Augusta!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle of reading Emma for the first time. I like Mr. Kn..."

Oh YES! And Mr Elton in the 2009 adaptation is played so well, he truly disgusts me...

message 21: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Felicity wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle of reading Emma for the first tim..."

Oh yes. I am very fond of the 2009 Emma: the Eltons are particularly loathsome. It pleases me.

message 22: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle of reading Emma ..."

I haven't watched any Emma film adaption yet, although I'm hoping too. Which is the best one? there seem to be a lot.

message 23: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle ..."

2009!!! The Miramax version was alright, but I definitely prefer 2009! (Plus Romola Garai look just like another of my cousins.)

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 08:48AM) (new)

Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Felicity wrote: "My favourite of Austen-heroes (besides Mr Tilney) must be Mr Knightley. He's my ideal type :-)"

I'm in the middle ..."

2009. Absolutely.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk44C...

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Okay, seeing as how Jessica told how she doesn't like Henry Tilney, I will tell my least favorite Austen hero.

Please don't hate me.

Mr. Darcy.

*ducks a hail of projectiles..."

I LOVE Darcy, but it's okay if you don't :-) But he's rather similar to me in some ways, so we "get along," if that makes sense . . .

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "Okay, seeing as how Jessica told how she doesn't like Henry Tilney, I will tell my least favorite Austen hero.

Please don't hate me.

Mr. Darcy.

*ducks a ha..."

It kind of makes sense, Jessica ;-D
I'm similar to Marianne Dashwood so we get along VERY well!

message 27: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments Willoughby from Sense and Sensability, Josie Pie from Anne of Green Gables, Mr Pumblechook from Great Expectations, (how I detest the man!), and-I know you'll think I'm crazy-but Mr. Rochester. I don't HATE him perse, I just don't really like him a whole lot. He annoys me and angers me by turns, with how harsh he was with Jane

message 28: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Bookworm wrote: "Willoughby from Sense and Sensability, Josie Pie from Anne of Green Gables, Mr Pumblechook from Great Expectations, (how I detest the man!), and-I know you'll think I'm crazy-but Mr. Rochester. I d..."

Yes, Josie Pie, Yuck!

Actually, I too have a strong dislike of Mr. Rochester. I liked Jane pretty well, but after her engagement to Mr. Rochester I started to question her sanity.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Elsabet wrote: "Bookworm wrote: "Willoughby from Sense and Sensability, Josie Pie from Anne of Green Gables, Mr Pumblechook from Great Expectations, (how I detest the man!), and-I know you'll think I'm crazy-but M..."

I'm in the same boat. I've never read "Jane Eyre," but literally everything I've ever heard about Mr. Rochester makes me wonder if Jane might not have been a little crazy when she agreed to marry him . . .

message 30: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments Looking at it in the light of non-fiction, it is-he raved and ranted, and talked rather strangley at times.. which would make anyone wonder about him. But I think, as a book-girl, she was just naive- and- innocent- in love, and liked a dark and slightly morbid fellow. She had a rather peculiar upbringing herself, so I don't think she really thought as other people who had had a happy childhood.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Bookworm wrote: "Looking at it in the light of non-fiction, it is-he raved and ranted, and talked rather strangley at times.. which would make anyone wonder about him. But I think, as a book-girl, she was just naiv..."

That's quite true; one can definitely see why she chose to say "yes." I just mean I think it was VERY UNWISE of her :-)

message 32: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments Ah, gotcha! Yes, most definitly.:-)