50 books to read before you die discussion

All the Light We Cannot See
This topic is about All the Light We Cannot See
Book Disscusions Nominated Books > All the Light We Cannot See

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine July 2016 group read open nomination.

Michelle Kenneth - PerfectionistWannabe.com (michellekenneth) | 10 comments I read this for my office book club last year. My fondest memory of the book were the peaches. Just the way it was described really brought a sort of sweetness to the story in a strange way. We read this book when I was a little tired of reading another war story so I didn't bode with this book favorably. Just seemed like there were too many WWII books saturating the market. Others in my group enjoyed the story.

DeeplyRooted | 8 comments I have just begun reading this book. I love historical fiction. So far I am really enjoying this book. The way the author describes things is so wonderful. I am only 100 pages in and already have some pages marked for quotes I want to write down.

message 4: by Buck (last edited Jul 04, 2016 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) All the Light We Cannot See has a Goodreads rating of 4.31 stars based on more than 355,000 ratings. 50% of its ratings are 5 stars. Astonishing! It won the Pulitzer in 2015 as well as a number of other literary awards. I read it last year and I believe it deserves its acclaim. This is definitely one of those books everyone should read before they die.

Cori | 1 comments I just finished reading. I could not put the book down. Absolutely loved it, but I did feel like it ended abruptly. It was kind of disappointing.

Alastair Luft | 1 comments I just started reading this book and am so far enjoying it very much after about 100 pages. I agree with an earlier comment that the descriptions used are wonderful, but then again, maybe that's no surprise as the language overall has been a pleasure to read. At this point I'm greatly impressed, although I'm beginning to wonder how everything will come together.

Blythe | 5 comments I read this book in one of my other book clubs last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have read so many great books that take place during this time period, but I found this book to be very brave in the way both sides were presented. I felt very fond of even the characters you shouldn't like. To me, it really illustrated that everyone is human.

Buck (spectru) Here is an interesting review by a Goodreads reader. It has some quotes from the early pages of the book and photographs of Saint-Malo where much of the story takes place.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin (lilirandom) | 1 comments I'm currently reading it and I'm loving it so much :)

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (book_worm1928) | 6 comments Oh my god. I need to read this book

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 37 comments It is an excellent book. It is a beautiful story and is prosaic enough to avoid reminding the reader that it is written in present tense (which I am not really a fan of). It was only an issue a few times and otherwise unnoticeable making it feel like reading a movie.

To avoid spoilers, I won't give anything away, but the ending feels like the ending that the most people wanted after talking it over with a large group of editors. I am not sure that it was the original intent as foreshadowing is sparse, but I do know that I felt it was too long and others feel it is too short.

message 12: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) I read this recently and enjoyed it. It was certainly a different perspective on life during WWII.

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 19 comments Blythe wrote: "I read this book in one of my other book clubs last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have read so many great books that take place during this time period, but I found this book to be very brave i..."

I read this one a few months ago. I agree with Blythe. Book has a lot of description that brings this odd world to life. These are viewpoints I haven't seen before but found them believable and insightful. You wait to see how these two disparate POV's can meet, as the two storylines move toward one another.

message 14: by Christine (last edited Jul 27, 2016 03:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine I have just finished reading this and I found it very enjoyable and a well researched book. I thought the ending was realistic, all the characters, on both sides, lost so much because of the war.

If it was a hollywood ending Marie-Laure and Werner would end up marrying each other :)).

What did you think of Werner (view spoiler)

message 15: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Christine wrote: "What did you think of Werner (view spoiler)
..."

My reaction was similar to yours, Christine. (view spoiler) That is one of the fine things about this book, the way it leaves us guessing. Just look at the discussion above about that very thing. It made me want to go back and reread that part, (I haven't yet) near the end of the book, to see if I would have a different reaction if I were looking for it.

Christine Buck wrote: "Christine wrote: "What did you think of Werner (view spoiler)
..."

My reaction was similar to yours, Christine. [spoilers removed] That is one of the fine things about this book, the way it leaves..."

I like the ending of this book for that reason too - it keeps you guessing and asking questions. Should Werner have lived? By saving Maire-Laure, Werner had atoned for his lack of action regarding his school friend. Would he have lived a relatively happy life? Maybe his death was his happy ending.