50 books to read before you die discussion

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
Book Discussions - 100 list > The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine July 2016 group read from the 100 list.

Michelle Kenneth - PerfectionistWannabe.com (michellekenneth) | 10 comments I read this a couple of years ago for my office book club. What a great, yet crazy book. The Swedes made this into a movie. Movie is just as nuts as the book. Really enjoyed this book. It's probably one of the craziest stories I've ever read.

Buck (spectru) This is a terrific book. I read it not long ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Just started. Fun so far

Marilou K. (mari_loo) I read it about a month ago. Such a fun book!!I'd like Alan to be my friend!!(hehe)
Plus, I actually learnt a couple of things about history throught his stories!

Christine I read this a while back and loved it, I'm looking forward to everyone's comments.

Annie (annie_thomas) Read 8 chapters. Lots of action. Reminds me somewhat of Forrest Gump how Allan moves on from scene to another..
How are you all going?

Kayleigh | 83 comments I've just finished chapter six and I'm really enjoying it now, hope I'm as sprightly as Allan if I ever reach a hundred

Annie (annie_thomas) I couldn't stop reading once I got past an early hump. Really enjoyed Allan's unbelievable adventures.

Lindsay It was a long read for me, but I enjoyed all of it. I enjoyed the humor and Allan's "yes" mentality.

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 37 comments I agree with Lindsay also. It's an interesting style of book that seems like it should be more common. A comedic world absconding...that follows the events of recent world history?

I couldn't get it out of my head that it was somewhere between Candide and South Park only it was not always detailed or critical. The satire is definitely there, but it is light-hearted which is good. Worth a read.

message 12: by Buck (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buck (spectru) Allan's life is kind of like Forrest Gump's.

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 37 comments Yeah I noticed that Annie had mentioned that, and I was kind of kicking myself that I didn't think of that while reading it.

Siarhei Siniak (siarheisiniak) I liked the book very much. It gave me lot of fun. The way Allan takes part in people's life makes it exciting, it spontaneous, rapid and humorous. His attitude towards difficulties helps him to overcome everything - even that school of Russian's language by name "Gulag".