Persephone Books discussion

New to the Group ? Say hello here !

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Is anyone else from Canada in this group?

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan Wilson | 1 comments Hi
My name is Joan and i'd like to join the discussion on Young Anne.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Joan wrote: "Hi
My name is Joan and i'd like to join the discussion on Young Anne."
Hello Joan , Welcome to the group.
The discussion for Young Anne will start 1st Oct, look forward to discussing with you
Best Wishes Karen

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Emer wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Emer, I'm from Ireland and I've steadily been reading my local library's collection of Persephone titles. I look forward to hopefully joining in with a few discussions if my librar..."
Hello Emer and welcome to the group!
Feel free to join the discussion we have every month and add any books you'd like to buddy read in book suggestion thread.
Thanks Karen and Gina x

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
New to the Persephone Group ? Say hello here !

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Morning! I'm Susan (my name on GoodReads is janetandjohn), and I was invited to join the group by Karen. I was bought the very first Persephone for a birthday present the year they started publication, and have been reading them ever since. I look forward to the discussion on July's book, which I have read but will be silent on for now.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Nolan | 3 comments Hi I'm Jenni and I was invited to join the group by Karen. Looking forward to reading your book suggestions and joining in the discussions.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
janetandjohn wrote: "Morning! I'm Susan (my name on GoodReads is janetandjohn), and I was invited to join the group by Karen. I was bought the very first Persephone for a birthday present the year they started publicat..." Hello Susan, welcome to the group.Look forward to chatting with you soon : )

message 9: by Karen (last edited Jun 28, 2019 05:49AM) (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Hi I'm Jenni and I was invited to join the group by Karen. Looking forward to reading your book suggestions and joining in the discussions." Hello Jenni, welcome to the group.Look forward to chatting with you soon : )

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 1 comments Hi I am Trudy and I was introduced to Persephone books by my daughter who fell in love with the London bookshop. Currently reading Lettice Delmer and have a small stack to work through!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Trudy wrote: "Hi I am Trudy and I was introduced to Persephone books by my daughter who fell in love with the London bookshop. Currently reading Lettice Delmer and have a small stack to work through!" Hello Trudy, Welcome to the Persephone Reading Group. Please feel free to join in with our monthly read-alongs and leave any suggestions you have for the group to read in 'Book Suggestions'. Best Wishes Karen and Gina x

message 12: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Nice to see you here Elke, I look forward to your thoughts on future reads. 🙂

message 13: by Alwynne (last edited Aug 18, 2020 02:27PM) (new)

Alwynne | 22 comments Hi, I've just joined the group, another follower of Persephone Books, and keen to join the upcoming group read of Reuben Sachs been meaning to try that one for a while. I like vintage women's fiction in general from early to mid-20th century. I've been reading some Furrowed Middlebrow titles recently too. I used the site briefly a while ago to record my reading but never had the time to fully participate so deleted my membership.

One useful thing about the pandemic is that now that so little of my normal activities are running, and I don't have to commute, there's a lot more time for reading. Although still finding it harder to concentrate on reading than usual.

message 14: by Elke (new)

Elke (elkeo) Alwynne wrote: "Hi, I've just joined the group, another follower of Persephone Books, and keen to join the upcoming group read of Reuben Sachs been meaning to try that one for a while. I like vintage women's ficti..."

Hi Alwynne!
Furrowed Middlebrow are very satisfying, I agree. They have become a favorite during these trying times as comfort reads.

message 15: by Tania (last edited Aug 19, 2020 03:20AM) (new)

Tania | 232 comments Welcome Alwynne.
Another Furrowed Middlebrow fan here, and with the British Library Women Writers, series, I think there are exciting times ahead for fans of middlebrow.
See you on the threads.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Hi, I am a new member. I think Karen invited me a while ago. I recently discovered forgotten books and have been enjoying leaving the problems of the present for issues in Victorian times. I am hoping to join in on the Reuben Sachs read, Just one question: Do we start reading on Sept. 1 on a schedule or do we start discussing then?

Looking forward to participating in this group and meeting other members.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Anne wrote: "Hi, I am a new member. I think Karen invited me a while ago. I recently discovered forgotten books and have been enjoying leaving the problems of the present for issues in Victorian times. I am hop..." Hello Anne, a big welcome to the group : )

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Elke wrote: "Hi All-
I am new here, invited by Tania once she heard me say elsewhere I love Persephones. I received my first as a gift and became obsessed. I feel a compulsion to own books instead of librarying..."

Hello Elke, welcome to the group : )

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Alwynne wrote: "Hi, I've just joined the group, another follower of Persephone Books, and keen to join the upcoming group read of Reuben Sachs been meaning to try that one for a while. I like vintage women's ficti..." Hi Alwyne, welcome to the group : )

message 20: by Alwynne (last edited Sep 08, 2020 04:01AM) (new)

Alwynne | 22 comments Hi back to everyone! Agree about the British Library series, another one I'm now following, snapped up a couple of the titles and really looking forward to them - particularly the May Sinclair. Handheld Press is another publisher who've been putting out some great vintage women's writing recently too,

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

and yes, Tania, it's so great to be able to get hold of more vintage middlebrow.

message 21: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Thanks for the Handheld Press list, I've a few of theirs on my wishlist.

message 22: by Alice (new)

Alice Gloriana (valancyblue) | 1 comments Hi Everybody, my name is Alice. I came across some of the discussions of this group and I am so looking forward to participating. English is my second language and I read mostly in Italian, but I usually find everything in translation :)

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 168 comments Anne wrote: "Hi, I am a new member. I think Karen invited me a while ago. I recently discovered forgotten books and have been enjoying leaving the problems of the present for issues in Victorian times. I am hop..."

Anne, you asked “Do we start reading on Sept. 1 on a schedule or do we start discussing then?”

Karen sets up two threads for the book — one for beginning comments and one for comments after finishing the book. People just post throughout the month (or even after). Look forward to hearing your thoughts

message 24: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Hi Alice, welcome.

message 25: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hello, While I have been getting your emails thanks so much I haven't yet managed your monthly read, however I did manage to check out October book which reflects my reading preference, however, the cost of the book in Australia was exhorbent and so ordered from Amazon....ha! yes a better price but from USA and Covid19 and few planes, I may just get it sometime before Christmas. The book looks great but I will have to be mindful, that if not easily available in Australia at a reasonable price, I will have to forego some reads.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Alice wrote: "Hi Everybody, my name is Alice. I came across some of the discussions of this group and I am so looking forward to participating. English is my second language and I read mostly in Italian, but I u..." Hello Alice : ) A big welcome to the group !

message 27: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 4 comments Oh dear, I’m in trouble now—another group I can’t stay away from! I love Persephone’s booklist, which is full of I-really-have-to-find-time-to-read-that books. I look forward to following temptation here.

message 28: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) I wanted to say Hi, I've been lurking for a few days, but thought I should introduce myself. I'm Brenda! I didn't know of the group until I saw a notice that Abigail joined. Hi Abigail! And I do see a few other friends in the group.

I'm fairly new to Persephone books, but learning more about them I've found there are many books that I do want to read, and I'm sure others that when I hear about them, will also want to read! My ever-growing TBR. :))

message 29: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 4 comments Hi, Brenda! We all suffer from that dreadful metastasizing-TBR disease!

message 30: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Great to see you both here. Look forward to seeing your book suggestions. 😊

message 31: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) Hi Tania- thanks !

message 32: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 22 comments Not sure which thread's the best place to post this or how many people are affected by their 'Home' feeds not updating, mine stopped dead several hours ago, but got some news that the issue’s been recognised and being sorted out, it was posted in one of my other groups.

“The GR Help answer to the current problem of home page not updating -

"Hi Goodreaders! We apologize for the trouble with this. The issue has been reported and our developers will be working to fix the issue. Thanks for your patience."

message 33: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 4 comments Thanks for the alert, Alwynne!

message 34: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 22 comments No problem Abigail, I spent quite a while earlier puzzling over why my feed wasn't working and fiddling with my update settings so thought other people might be similarly flummoxed.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Brenda wrote: "I wanted to say Hi, I've been lurking for a few days, but thought I should introduce myself. I'm Brenda! I didn't know of the group until I saw a notice that Abigail joined. Hi Abigail! And I do se..." A big welcome to the group Brenda & Abigail : )

message 36: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) Thank you so much Karen!

message 37: by Ludovica (last edited Feb 14, 2021 10:54AM) (new)

Ludovica (ludovica91) | 3 comments Hi, I'm Ludovica and I'm Italian. Checking the Persephone catalog I saw some titles that I liked and others that I'm interested in. I'm used to reading in Italian and not all the books are available in translation. Nevertheless, I would like to join some of the conversations!

A few months ago I read "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day". I thought It was a funny novel. I finished the book with a bitter smile on my face. The sweet and humble Miss Pettigrew really takes part of Miss Lafosse's exiting world only for a day, as the title suggests. I think it's a very touching novel.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this group! :-)

message 38: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Welcome Ludovica, glad you found us.

message 39: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 85 comments Nice to see you here :0)

message 40: by Ludovica (new)

Ludovica (ludovica91) | 3 comments Thank you for the tip! :-)

message 41: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 1 comments Hi, I'm Gillian from Brisbane, Australia. I fell in love with the Persephone bookshop in London and I'm always on the lookout for new titles. I look forward to being part of this grooup.

message 42: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 22 comments Hi Gillian welcome!

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Gillian wrote: "Hi, I'm Gillian from Brisbane, Australia. I fell in love with the Persephone bookshop in London and I'm always on the lookout for new titles. I look forward to being part of this grooup." Hello Gillian, welcome to the group. Do you have any favourites from Persephone yet?

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Ludovica wrote: "Hi, I'm Ludovica and I'm Italian. Checking the Persephone catalog I saw some titles that I liked and others that I'm interested in. I'm used to reading in Italian and not all the books are availabl..." Hello Ludovica, welcome to the group. I'm so happy you enjoyed 'Miss Pettigrew', it's a wonderful book. Do you have any suggestions for the group to read ?

message 45: by Ludovica (new)

Ludovica (ludovica91) | 3 comments Karen wrote: "Ludovica wrote: "Hi, I'm Ludovica and I'm Italian. Checking the Persephone catalog I saw some titles that I liked and others that I'm interested in. I'm used to reading in Italian and not all the b..."

Thank you very much for the welcome! I'm reading "Miss Buncle's Book" at the moment and I'm enjoying it very much! I guess the other members read it a while ago. I'm new to this group so I'm trying to keep up! :-)

message 46: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Gillian wrote: "Hi, I'm Gillian from Brisbane, Australia. I fell in love with the Persephone bookshop in London and I'm always on the lookout for new titles. I look forward to being part of this grooup."

Welcome Gillian. 🙂

Ludovica, I loved Miss Buncle's Book, my favourite by D.E. Stevenson so far. I hope you enjoy it.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Ludovica wrote: "Karen wrote: "Ludovica wrote: "Hi, I'm Ludovica and I'm Italian. Checking the Persephone catalog I saw some titles that I liked and others that I'm interested in. I'm used to reading in Italian and..." You are very welcome xx

message 48: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette | 18 comments Hi, just discovered this group recently. I am fairly new to Persephone books. Started buying them last year and now I have a subscription. I have read 4 and I have loved them all. I am hooked. After starting this journey into older books, I find I have lost my passion for new books.
I live in Calgary Canada and look forward to reading along.

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn | 39 comments Antoinette wrote: "Hi, just discovered this group recently. I am fairly new to Persephone books. Started buying them last year and now I have a subscription. I have read 4 and I have loved them all. I am hooked. Afte..."

I just got a new Persephone in the mail today. Another Dorothy Whipple. What you say about new books vs old books really rings a bell. I just returned four new books to the library without finishing them.

message 50: by Tania (new)

Tania | 232 comments Antoinette wrote: "Hi, just discovered this group recently. I am fairly new to Persephone books. Started buying them last year and now I have a subscription. I have read 4 and I have loved them all. I am hooked. Afte..."

Hi Antionette, welcome. I also agree about new books and rarely read them nowadays unless it's non-fiction. A Persephone subscription souns like a real treat, I love book post.

@Cynthia, which Whipple did you get?

« previous 1