Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Question for the under-30 set and texting

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) If you text and are over 20 and under 30 (or have kids in that age range):

Do you use words or letters to represent words when you're texting with friends?

Like, how r u?
vs. how are you?

And do you type in complete sentences, except for known abbreviations like lol, omw, btw, nm?
(and please tell me your age!)

Thanks!

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Krug (thomas_krug) | 36 comments I tend to use spell words out unless I'm in a real hurry, and my friends do the same. I'm 28. Weirdly, it's my parents in law who I usually see abbreviating!

Karen *constant listener* yes a blind book listener, just love accessibility functions (foreverandrew) My children are 31, 25 & 24 all use abbreviations but lots are there own or there peer group. Like c u @ al 7. So they are at Albert Lake and want to meet up at 7pm. I always text back in full.
The abbreviation where bought in when you had a limited amount of letters in a text, so hence you could say more.
What I am seeing now is abbreviation on face book like "mains" so they post a picture of what they are wearing tonight and tagging their best friends to make sure how they look is okay for where they are going. These are current teenagers so I'm guessing when my grandsons reach that age, I will get @7! As I know where they are. View being why say more when you can say less. I wonder in years to come will we actually speak, as my daughter will text her husband in the same room! In her defence he does always say "you didn't tell me" ;/ or maybe mixing up punctuation will be the way forward? ;)

message 4: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 141 comments I once had someone submit a job application letter written entirely in text speech. No, he didn't get hired.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

V.W. wrote: "I once had someone submit a job application letter written entirely in text speech. No, he didn't get hired."

Too funny. Or should I say, 'LOL'!

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) VW - oy.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. They helped a lot.