Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > Add a book on iOS app + question about short stories

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) | 6 comments 1. Is it possible to add a book as a librarian through the iOS app? Or just through the desktop?

2. Regarding short stories published in (digital) newspapers, should a link be added to the story?

There was a short story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie published recently in the New York Times Book Review. It seems like it hasn't been added yet to the database (then again, I'm using my phone so it's possible that I can't see all the books?). I would like to add it but I don't have a laptop available so I was wondering if I could do it through the app.

If it's not possible and someone else would like to do it here's the link to the story in question: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45422 comments Mod
Adriana wrote: "1. Is it possible to add a book as a librarian through the iOS app? Or just through the desktop?"

Only through the desktop.

Adriana wrote: "2. Regarding short stories published in (digital) newspapers, should a link be added to the story?"

These are not books under Goodreads policy and should not be added to the database.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) | 6 comments I checked the "Not a Book" page and another thread in this group that made me think short stories, even published digitally for free, were considered books and should be in the database. I've definitely seen a few over the years (Chuck Palahniuk's short stories that were published in Playboy for example).

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Only if they have been published individually, not as part of a book or magazine.

message 5: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) | 6 comments But do they need to be publish separated and through the author's platform? I don't know if this is the case, but if an online publication publishes an author's short story on itself (i.e., doesn't publish it as part of the magazine/newspaper per se), can it be added? Or still no? I've checked the "not a book" page again and that part isn't very explicit. It doesn't allow short stories that are a part of a magazine but it allows short stories published separately, without mentioning the source.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Most online publications only publish shorts as part of a larger publication -- part of a specific monthly or weekly or biannual release. One notable exception: Tor.com.

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) | 6 comments I see. Well, that's a shame but thank you for the help anyway.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 23 comments I can add a book with iOS if is use Safari to go to the link, but not in the Goodreads app. The app leaves a lot to be desired.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Librarians have no control over the app. If you are having a problem with that, you'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page. Librarians can help with issues pertaining to specific book records or most related issues, but have no control over general site functionality or related issues. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.