Swimming Mermalions discussion

Archive - Event 5: > Part 1: Gather your horses

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2016 07:41AM) (new)

1: Gather your horses
↪ Read FOUR books with an Animal(s)/Creature(s) on cover
Any animal that could pull a human is allowed, even mythological.
Examples: dragons, dogs, lions, bears, unicorns.....

Please let us know if you wish to read for this part. Remember all team members must read at least 1 book for this event. Volunteering does not mean that you will definitely read for this part as some parts may be more popular than others.

message 2: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly I can do it!

message 3: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 21 comments i can do this

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2016 09:24AM) (new)

I could do this one:

Sharpe's Tiger (Sharpe, #1) by Bernard Cornwell Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey The Palace of Curiosities by Rosie Garland The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht Elephant Moon by John Sweeney I Bring the Fire Part I Wolves by C. Gockel The Hippopotamus Pool (Amelia Peabody, #8) by Elizabeth Peters The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

message 5: by Chava (new)

Chava yes I can do this.

message 6: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly I would go with Mees nimega Ove by Fredrik Backman
(cat on cover)

message 7: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Or at the same time - there are also tools and rope on cover... so if you find it would suit better for part 2, put me down for that :)

message 8: by Imke (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:55AM) (new)

Imke (immie75) Elinaly wrote: "Or at the same time - there are also tools and rope on cover... so if you find it would suit better for part 2, put me down for that :)"
I think we better use it for part 2. I'm not sure cats are able to pull a chariot with a human on it.

message 9: by Elinaly (last edited Jul 04, 2016 03:48AM) (new)

Elinaly Hahahaa... right.
I thought it has to be just any animal.

message 10: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) From the rules:

Any animal that could pull a human is allowed, even mythological.
Examples: dragons, dogs, lions, bears, unicorns.....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a great book for part 2 though. I hope you like it I loved that book.

message 12: by Filipa (new)

Filipa I have How to Wish Upon a Star (Howl at the Moon, #3) by Eli Easton

message 13: by Emeli (last edited Jul 04, 2016 10:44PM) (new)

Emeli Webb | 21 comments I have two options

Forever Home by Rory Wilde

Or

Unstable Stud (Lexington Lovers, #1) by Ariel Tachna

message 14: by Chava (last edited Jul 05, 2016 06:11PM) (new)

Chava I will read Red Dog today

EDIT: FINISHED

message 15: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Maybe Chava's Red Dog can be used for page jumping? (book with page count not many read and what we need the most)?

And for Chariot we can find fearsome, strong animals like dragons etc!
Lets make an awsome chariot - maybe we get bonus points (or its a separate winning category) in the end for having the most unique or weird chariot. I would go for weird, btw.

So I'm looking books with unusual animals on cover.
Lets try stuck to the theme also... we are coming from under the sea ;)

message 16: by Elinaly (last edited Jul 06, 2016 01:49AM) (new)

Elinaly ...speaking person who wanted to put the cat in front of the chariot... lol

message 17: by Chava (new)

Chava Elinaly wrote: "Maybe Chava's Red Dog can be used for page jumping? (book with page count not many read and what we need the most)?

And for Chariot we can find fearsome, strong animals like dragons etc!
Lets make..."

Fine with me! I'll post it in the page jumping thread as well

message 18: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Unicorns?
Here is unicorn: Harry Potter ja tarkade kivi (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling
first I was thinking to read this for "stone" in title", but maybe instead here then?
- what you think?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "...speaking person who wanted to put the cat in front of the chariot... lol"

Well, it would be weird. I agree though of trying to get a weird mix of animals.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "Unicorns?
Here is unicorn: Harry Potter ja tarkade kivi (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling
first I was thinking to read this for "stone" in title", but maybe instead here then?
- what you think?"

I'll take a look tonight about who has volunteered for what and get a list together as we all need to read for parts 1-4.

message 21: by Lusie (last edited Jul 06, 2016 04:48AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) If we are going for weird we should find a book with a mythological creature...like a monster, mythological creatures, griffin, unicorn, dragon or something like that.

I'm going to take a look at fantasy books to see if I can find something...

message 22: by Imke (last edited Jul 06, 2016 04:34AM) (new)

Imke (immie75) Like this?

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan

Not voluntering (maybe for the first), but suggesting. I need to see how full I have planned my weeks.

message 23: by Imke (last edited Jul 06, 2016 04:45AM) (new)

message 24: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Do dead creatues count?

I think this beast on this cover would be awesome at pulling (and I really want to read this book soon):
The Liar's Key (The Red Queen's War, #2) by Mark Lawrence

message 25: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Eli that beast is awesome! (He/it will probably eat my unicorn)

At the end, after we have assembled our chariot I could draw a picture of it - make a photo and post it here.
It would be so fun to see how it all turned out on the picture, lol.

I would like dragons on front also!

message 26: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Remember, the animal must show full body. It is acceptible if small parts are hidden

message 27: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I haven't found an animal to pool the chariot on my tbr :(

message 28: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Oh... thanks for reminding! I wonder If Potter's unicorn would qualify? Only the middle is behind that archway.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Emelie wrote: "I have two options

Forever Home by Rory Wilde

Or

Unstable Stud (Lexington Lovers, #1) by Ariel Tachna"

Neither of these would work as there isn't enough showing of the horse to fit the rules and the dog looks like a puppy which couldn't pull a chariot.

You do have this on your tbr Johnnie (Siphon Collection, #1) by Cardeno C. or perhaps you could read one of these for wheel on cover:

Falling for Archie by Hollis Shiloh or Love Comes Around (Senses, #4) by Andrew Grey

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "Unicorns?
- what you think?"

I think this book would be ok but I've posted to check with the Mods.

message 31: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Lusie wrote: "Remember, the animal must show full body. It is acceptible if small parts are hidden"

Oh, right!

I read a lot of fantasy so I should be able to find something with a dragon on the cover. I can do a bit of digging later today.

message 32: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Just remembered I have meaning to read this:

The World of Ice & Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

There is one awesome three-headed dragon, shown in full.

message 33: by Chava (new)

Chava Eli wrote: "Just remembered I have meaning to read this:

The World of Ice & Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

There is one awesome three-headed dragon, shown i..."

Wow!! Fearsome. I love 3-headed dragons!! (I have a 3-headed dragon puppet at work, it's my favourite)

message 34: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly 3-headed dragon is super! Our chariot is going to be fearsome!!

message 35: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I haven't found a fantasy book with a good animal on it yet. Feel free to post one and then I'll check if I can get hold of that book.

message 36: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Maybe you could find something from this list

message 37: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) I posted some lists in message 23, the link Eli posted is also in there.
If you are looking for another animal you can always try Listopia. You can find that through Browse - Lists and then do a search.

message 38: by Lusie (last edited Jul 07, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) Don't write me down for one of the horses yet, because I think we better wait until all members have claimed a book.

At the moment I'm reading a lot and am making good progress, so I think I could do a second book for this event. I might want to read:

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik World's End (Age of Misrule #1) by Mark Chadbourn

Would those be acceptable?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "Don't write me down for one of the horses yet, because I think we better wait until all members have claimed a book.

At the moment I'm reading a lot and am making good progress, so I think I coul..."

They are fine as only a small amount of the dragon is off the page.

With only 17 tasks for this and currently 14 members we do have to wait until more people claim tasks before people can double up.