Baker Street Irregulars discussion

Group and Buddy Reads > Group Read: Sherlock Holmes - The Patchwork Devil

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B This is the thread for a group read of Sherlock Holmes - The Patchwork Devil by Cavan Scott.4

We will be starting July 1. Read at your own pace, posting whatever you would like to discuss. When you post, please indicate the chapter and "spoiler" if appropriate! HAVE FUN!!!!

message 2: by Ken B (last edited Jul 04, 2016 03:37AM) (new)

Ken B I will be starting on this one today.

message 3: by Ken B (new)

Ken B Chris Apolant wrote: "Anyone else reading this getting the vibe that Watson needs an attitude adjustment? Or is it just me, being all stuffy again?"

I am about 10% into the book. Watson does seem to be PMS'ing.

message 4: by Ken B (new)

Ken B How far along is everybody. I just finished Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

Scott hints at other Holmes cases including several possible WWI cases and another about a Blackheath werewolf. I don't see that Scott has written any such cases but, if this book turns out okay, I would definitely be interested.

A couple of other Scott's Holmes titles are THE ADVENTURES OF THE MUMMY’S CURSE included in THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES ABROAD and THE DEMON SLASHER OF SEVEN SISTERS which is included in Encounters of Sherlock Holmes compiled by George Mann.

message 5: by Ken B (new)

Ken B I am at Chapter 31. The reading is going slower than I expected. Not at all related to the book. I am enjoying the book. Just too many distractions and too much work.

(view spoiler)

I am liking the book. Got off to a rough start with Watson and his wife PMS'ing. Once we got beyond that, it has been smooth going.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Hall | 6 comments Just finished it. As the first Sherlock pastiche I've read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm excited for Cavan Scott's next Sherlock Holmes book coming next July (Sherlock Holmes: Cry of the Innocents).
To voice an unpopular opinion, I must say that I appreciated how Watson was a little more grumpy and a little more sarcastic. It just made him feel older, in my opinion.

message 7: by Ken B (new)

Ken B Finished the book. I thought a couple of the clues to the mystery were rushed but all-in-all, I liked it. 4 STARS

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Pagones I just started this last night. I do agree that Watson in the opening chapters is a bit out-of-character in his huffing and puffing, although I'd probably behave that way (just not sure it's Watson). And I agree that as an older man, he might be a bit crabbier and "done" with Holmes' mysterious and disruptive behavior. Still, the style is enjoyable. Definitely excited to read further!

Watson's wife, as always, is unconvincing...

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Pagones Just finished it--read the bulk of it in almost a day. I really enjoyed it as an adventure tale, and once it got going, I was unable to put it down. I liked the fact that the creature retained its character from the original novel and wasn't that influenced by later film variations.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Patchwork Devil (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cavan Scott (other topics)