The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Michael J. Sullivan > AoM: Section 1: Chapters 1-7

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Section 1

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Chapters 1-7.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

The pace has been a little slow, but so far I really like all of the characters.

I like the way Malcolm tells the story of the God Killer, and the Wolf girl. Also a Mage Elf apparently. They all seem interesting so far. I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

Some crazy stuff just happened in chapter 8 of course, so I have to wait to discuss that.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 24 comments The first quarter of the book was a lot of table setting and very slow.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I've been enjoying it. I didn't find it very slow, but definitely a bit slow.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I found myself looking for Royce and Hadrian at the first....I knew they weren't there...I just like them :)

message 6: by Bill (last edited Jun 29, 2016 04:08PM) (new)

Bill | 1596 comments I didn't find it slow but listened to it in small increments so far so maybe that helped.

I really liked the play between Malcolm and Rast(spelling?). They seem like good compliments to each other. Same with Persephone and the Wolf girl.

Could someone with the a non-audio version please give us the spelling of the main characters so I don't feel like a fool trying to spell them.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I really started liking those two with the story in the tavern. I enjoyed that.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I'm listening in audio too.

message 9: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 134 comments It's Raithe, Suri and Persephone, I checked the spellings yesterday :). And the gods are called the Fhrey, not exactly my first guess. I like all of these characters so far. I'm glad that I decided to pick up this book.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Thanks Teanka.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments I've taken easily to the new cast. Love Suri, hope she continues to be a main contributor to the story.

I really love that we're getting the true story of this empire that was hinted at throughout Riyria. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

I expected the beginning to be slow, but I fully trust Sullivan to come through with a great, engaging story.

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

I'm removing my post, because I think it may have happened in chapter 8, so I'm posting it in the next section..

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I love Suri too - the things she says really crack me up because- they are usually spot on observations!

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments All the stuff about being indoors, people, and trees! She's very quotable!

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

And shoes!

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy So far so good although the pacing a bit slower I find as well. I think Persephone will be quite interesting The god killing is obviously setting off a huge chain of events and it will likely not fare well for the folks of the Dahl. A potential also for some interesting story with the female in the city, I forget her name, but talkis to the mysterious Apple eating fellow about the door.

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh yeah! She is interesting - and pretty much our first glimpse of magic and how it works here. It seems like it can get very harmful very quickly.

And the door - such a strange thing - very mysterious. And isn't there just something in our natures to wonder about closed doors?

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Well, i have to say i am enjoying it. I think the pacing is fine, we have been introduced to some of the main actors, and i have connected with all of them. Suri is an obvious hit (who isn't with a wolf). I like how Raithe has become a God Slayer, thanks to Malcom 'bigging' him up to get some food. The reputation has gone ahead of them. Maybe he will grow into the part.
Persephone is probably the most interesting to me. She is obviously a strong woman as she has lost her husband and children, and lost her position in the village.
This is classic fantasy series - no grimdark - something i have been missing for a while.

message 19: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Richard, have you read his Riyria books?

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I really like Persephone too. I think her quest to find her new place amid huge life changes will resonate with a lot of readers. And I'm sure I'll talk more about her in future sections :)

message 21: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 134 comments Persephone reminds me of Clara Kalliam from The dagger and the coin series by Daniel Abraham that we discussed together last year. She's maybe a bit younger than Clara, but she also has lost everything and has to grow into a new role other than the previous, more traditional one of a wife and a mother. I'm very interested in her progress.

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Thats a good comparison.

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh yes - an excellent comparison - I'm glad you said that.

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Rob wrote: "Richard, have you read his Riyria books?"

Yes, read most of his books/short stories.
It's nice to see a Fantasy book that is not full of violence, sex, swearing, back stabbing, etc.
Don't get me wrong, i love me a bit of Abercrombie - but sometimes its refreshing to have a good old fashioned read (based on my limited reading of this book so far).

message 25: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

The way you said that, I thought you hadn't.

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I like the books because not only do I enjoy them but I can recommend them to my mother and sisters, who are way too sensitive for more existing fantasy.