Swimming Mermalions discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 29, 2016 04:01PM) (new)

For any questions team members may have about this event.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Q&A from Captains Group:

"Can the same member read two books next to each other in the relay? For example. I read Another Day AND Day After Night and then another player on my team reads Night Heat for Leg 1?" - "No, same member can not read books next to each other, as is does contradict idea of relay."

"To make sure I understand correctly. Heat 1 could theoretically be completed by our fastest 3 readers, so long as all other readers can fit their books into Heat 2?" - "Just a few people could read for Heat 1. Since a person can't read back to back, lets make it 1 person per leg, as long as all members fit in to Heat 2. So at minimum, SEVEN people may read for Heat 1."

"What about the bonus relays? Can we have two readers just switch off, back and forth, to complete those? Or are there minimum readers for those as well?" - "No minimum readers (well, ok 2 minimum readers). Members must not read books back to back, but every other one is ok. So, to use the example given, I couldn't read Another Day and Day After Night, but I could read Another Day and Night Heat. So technically you could have TWO readers read for all 15/20 bonus rounds."

"I just want to make sure - there also has to be 7 different readers for Heat 2, right? I know it says one member per leg, but then you say one member per leg for Heat 1. So I wanted to check that both heats have the same rule?" - "Nope, no such rule for Heat 2. They just can't read back to back (see message 15) and everyone has to be a part of Heat 1 or 2. As long as everyone reads for Heat 1 OR 2, then 2 can be however you like it to be."

"I'm curious, are subtitles included? For example, I recently saw In the 'Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex' and was wondering if we would build off of Sea or Essex. And how about generic subtitles like ':A Novel' and ':Stories'?" - "It would be the full listed title for subtitles, so you'd work off of Essex. If it's generic ones, like it's in the GR listing as "so-so series 2" then I'd say just use the title, or better yet, stay away from them since they are tricky. But yeah, if you see one like this ~' Nano Contestant - Episode 1: Whatever It Takes (A Free Urban Futuristic Fantasy Sci-Fi Action Adventure Genetic Cyberpunk TechnoThriller)'. Then look at the book cover itself and go with what it has, in this case you'd go of the word 'Takes'."

message 3: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly How about translated books?
I read also books in my mother language - Estonian - if I read Estonian version of the book, may I use the English title for this round?
Otherwise I am forced to read only English books.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2016 10:01AM) (new)

Elinaly wrote: "How about translated books?
I read also books in my mother language - Estonian - if I read Estonian version of the book, may I use the English title for this round?
Otherwise I am forced to read o..."

There has been a question about this:

"We have a team member that reads mostly in another language, is it possible for us to use the English title of the book? For example she read 'Kirjavaras' which is 'The Book Thief', would we be able to relay it with 'Thief of Time'?"

Karsyn said that she would need to discuss this with the other Mods. I'll post when we have an answer.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 01, 2016 09:21AM) (new)

Q&As from Captains Group:

"Just a quick one, would the same word but spelt differently be okay? I mean like Americanisms (for me) we spell coloUr here in the UK but US don't add the U and spell it Color, same as the word favourite /favorite ?? I'm assuming it's okay but wanted to check?" - "Yes, I'll accept that. Same word language differences will be alright. No changing words though. No Boot for Trunk!"

"Would this book link with wartime, or with stories? The word Stories is included in the Goodreads title, but when you look at the cover the word stories isn't there - 'Music for Wartime: Stories'." - "I'd say Wartime"

"What about a chain where the word is spelled the same, but has a different meaning. Can I link 'Murder of Crows' to 'Crow's Row'?" - "Nope! Sorry!"

"We have a team member interested in reading 'Wild-born'. Is this considered one word or two because of the hyphen?" - "Hyphens form 1 word."

"If I have a book that ends with a number (ex. 7), can I link it with the word equivalent (ex Seven)?" - "I'll accept that, as long as it's the same number. For example you couldn't link 'Counting by 7s' (Sevens) with 'Seven Up'."

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "How about translated books?
Otherwise I am forced to read o..."

Answer to languages question:

"YES we'll allow the languages if it translates the same way. Now, I don't know anything about languages, so what I mean is if in some language say "The Book Thief" is translated "Thief of Book" then you'd have to use Book, not Thief. Make sense?

But as long as you use the translated word as it's exact word then it's allowed."