Support for Indie Authors discussion

Crest and Shield Book 2: An ORDER Mini
This topic is about Crest and Shield Book 2
Archived Workshop No New Posts > 2nd cover to new series; Crest and Shield

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments Feedback please
Order

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments My god. How do I shrink this thing?

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hahahaha, Dorsey!! You made me legit giggle!! It's your thread, so you can make it as ridiculously ginormous as you like XD With that being said, if you do wanna change it...

< img src="image URL" width="X" height="Y" alt="description"/ >

Just change X and Y to your desired width and height, respectively.

Now, as for the cover... (Disclaimer: Not my genre, I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm a complete n00b, blah blah blah) ...I'm not digging it a whole lot. I personally find it really, reeeally dark. Like, even at this size, it's super difficult to tell what I'm looking at. And BOOK 2 is really lost, which you may or may not care about haha.

I clearly remember your 1st cover and thought it was pretty fantastic. Vibrant and eye-catching. I feel like this one doesn't live up to the awesomeness of the first. Just my 2 cents, though, obviously.

I hope some smarter people come along soon LOL

Good luck, sir!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I do agree that it's a dark image. I'm on a tablet with a high res screen and the brightness pretty high and the ships are hard to see. Beyond that, it's a great graphic if you can tweak the cintrast.

message 5: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments I agree with the others in that it seems way too dark to me. I can barely make out what I'm looking at on my laptop screen. Also, I agree with the comment that "Book 2" is lost.

I like the overall layout and fonts though. I might move "book 2" a bit closer to the title text if we're getting nitpicky.

I also (and this is purely subjective) would replace "and" with an ampersand. I think that would look more cohesive with the two words on either side. However, if you think that's silly I will not take offense. :-)

It's a solid start, and won't take much to make it excellent!

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments The ships could definitely stand out more, and the sky could use some more contrast. Color-wise it seems a bit monotone for me.

On a positive note, if the books is full of action and danger, then I am most definitely getting that vibe.

message 7: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 320 comments Yeah, it's too dark. I can't tell what is going on there. Are those space ships. In a smaller icon sized image those details will be lost.

An Order Mini on the top is small too and might not be so visible on a smaller image.

The sense I get is a dark force creeping up on me to destroy me. So it feels scifi/horror that is very atmospheric!

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments Ok. Thanks for all the input guys. At times things appear a little too red on my computer. How about this?Order

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Better. It's still a dark image, but I can now make out thr ships and I have no problem reading the title and your name.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments That's better! Really gives the feel of facing an onslaught.

However, what does it look like in a smaller image? That's the key factor for sales.

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments I guess what I'm trying to do is convey a sense of foreboding darkness and like Nat said

"The sense I get is a dark force creeping up on me to destroy me."
That sums it up perfectly.
I'm having a problem balancing the concept and the images.

On my phone the image comes through perfectly, but then again I'm the one who designed it so I know what to look for.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments At the moment, only you can tell what a smaller image looks like. Perhaps you could show your phone around and ask people what they see in a 5 second glance.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Reed (kristenreed) | 1 comments I like the cover as well. The lightened version definitely reads better on a screen. My only thought, which is super minor, is that I feel like you don't need "a book by" next to your name. That's totally subjective though. Great job!

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments Anna wrote: "At the moment, only you can tell what a smaller image looks like. Perhaps you could show your phone around and ask people what they see in a 5 second glance."

Great Idea. Will do!