Oakville Reads discussion

The Reason You Walk
This topic is about The Reason You Walk
The Reason You Walk > Question #5: Thoughts about reconciliation

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Reconciliation could have many meanings regarding Canada's relationship with indiginous peoples. It can also have many meanings in our relationships with one another in general. What types of reconciliation were highlighted in The Reason You Walk?

Susan (susanopl) | 472 comments Mod
One of the most powerful passages in the book for me was this one about reconciliation:
"Reconciliation is not something realized on a grand level, something that happens when a prime minister and a national chief shake hands. It takes place at a much more individual level. Reconciliation is realized when two people come together and understand what they share unites them and that what is different about them needs to be respected. Reconciliation happens when the archbishop and the sundancer become brothers."

Wab's father amazingly forgave the Catholic clergy who had abused him in residential school, adopted the religion, and befriended a bishop. Their relationship is a lesson for all of us.

Reconciliation doesn't have to be as dramatic as that, however. I believe that by reading about native culture and becoming more accepting and understanding, we can change our opinions and move forward with fairness.

Allison | 396 comments Susan wrote: "One of the most powerful passages in the book for me was this one about reconciliation:
"Reconciliation is not something realized on a grand level, something that happens when a prime minister and ..."

Your quote from the book is so powerful, Susan. I was amazed too that Wab's father forgave so readily (although in reality his own feelings of forgiveness would have been forming over some time). He was obviously an important role model for Wab: there was another reconciliation going on in this book between father and son. Just so incredibly moving and indicative of the human spirit, and also what people can overcome and how they move through strong emotions toward a sense of peace.