Bo'ness Library Book Group discussion

Himself
This topic is about Himself
Thursday Book Group > Himself Focus Group Questions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bo'ness Library Bookgroup (bonesslibrarybookgroup) | 110 comments Mod
Greetings, all. For those of you who may not be able to come along to the Focus Group meeting on July 7th, here are the questions that we were asked to consider as we read the book. Please post some of your answers in the comments below in order that I can pass them on to the lovely people at Canongate:

THE BOOK:
* Your overall view of the book. Did you like it, or not? What did you/didn't you like?
* Would you recommend it?
* Who was your favourite character and why?
* Does the author's work remind you of any other similar authors?
* What genre would you put this book in?
* If you had to sum the book up in one sentence, what would you say?

THE JACKET AND COPY:
* What do you think about the current jacket? (It is similar to the proof copy that you have) Does it reflect the content?
* Does the blurb on the jacket give enough information about the content of the book? Do you think anything is missing or confusing?
* Did you have any expectations before reading? Consider the title, the cover and anything else you may have thought/known about the book before you read it. How did these expectations change as you read on (if at all?)

GENERAL:
* Where do you find out about new books to read?
* Do you see advertising for books? If so, where?

Many thanks,

Laura

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Stewart | 1 comments Hi there. Apologies I have been absent the past few months had a lot on with work & family. Hope everyone is well? I received a notice to say July book is The Husbands Secret? I'll pop in to collect. Angela xx

Bo'ness Library Bookgroup (bonesslibrarybookgroup) | 110 comments Mod
Hi Angela,

welcome back! It's lovely to hear from you. Yes, the Wednesday Group will be reading The Husband's Secret for discussion in August, and the Thursday group will be reading Day of The Triffids. If you have time and want to take part in the Himself focus group, but haven't yet read the book, we have a few copies available if you're able to pop in to collect :)

See you next week :)

Best wishes,

Laura

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 1 comments I enjoyed this book. Took me a little while to get into it. Nevertheless found the characters intriguing and wanted to know more about them. Wasn't sure about the ghosts but eventually they won me round and could see their relevance to the story. I would recommend the book to others. Anne P.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen Earley | 1 comments I really enjoyed reading this book. The language and turn of phrase was very entertaining. The story line from the beginning just made me want to keep reading. Although there were ghosts in the story, this was not your usual 'ghost story' type of novel but more a mystery needing to be solved. The characters were well drawn and I look forward to the authors' next book. Helen E.