The Summer of the Sisterhood Readalong discussion

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
Book 1 Readalong (July 1-7) > [Book1] Part 4 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Part 4 covers from page 223 to the end of the book. Spoilers for the entire book are welcome here!

-Tell me your thoughts on the ending!
-Did you enjoy it? What would you rate this book?
-Will you continue the series?

Desmondella (treasuryoftomes) This is definitely one of my favorite summer reads now!

The first book was so cute, summery and at times very swoon-worthy and romantic. I was getting butterflies in my stomach when Eric was talking to Bridget about how beautiful she was. And... just all the mushy, adorable that came along with their interactions even though it saddened me when he rejected her. At least he was kind-hearted in his actions. I suppose that redeemed his character for me.

I thought Lena's and Kostos' final interaction was well awaited. I was so happy when everything finally worked out between them and they both realized their misunderstandings of each other and the whole skinny-dipping fiasco. I only wish that they had realized their love for each other sooner before they parted ways, maybe forever.

Tibby's final appearances in the book were heartbreakingly hard to read. I was sobbing when Bailey died... Tibby was just starting to realize the full impact of Bailey's extremely non-judgmental friendship in her life and how desperately she needed it at times. When Mimi died on top of Bailey's sickness and soon death, it was heart-wrenching. Tibby was already going through so much under the circumstances of Bailey and even though Tibby tried so hard to seem like she was cold towards the idea of Mimi, you could tell that she truly loved her which was apparent with her idea to place her in the freezer and her later thought to bury her in the gravesite right beside Bailey's coffin. It was quite morbid to read but also weirdly comforting. Especially Tibby's final revelation that she needed to make her life big in memory of Bailey.

I was pleased that Carmen finally made amends with her father and went to his and Lydia's wedding. I was also incredibly happy when her dad had eventually come to the realization of how harshly his actions affected Carmen. And when Carmen was asked to dance by Paul and he even flirted with her and told her that he and Skeletor had broken up after being so closed off from Carmen, I literally squealed out loud at his cuteness! It's making me hopeful that something will blossom between them in book two.

I definitely enjoyed this book and will be giving it a five star rating. I can't wait to continue the series. :)

Baylee Miller (thatblushingbookgirl) Just finished. I have a lot of thoughts right now but I'm not sure I exactly know how to word them. But I think first I'll say that I'm really glad to be participating in this read-a-long because I don't think I would have picked this book up on my own and I really enjoyed it and I'm glad I read it in the summer (Let's be honest, this book is just MEANT to be read in the Summer).

I liked how all of the characters progressed. I grew to like Bridget a little more toward the end but I don't know if that's just because I feel bad for her or what. Otherwise, everyone else was an A+ character. Still, I probably liked Tibby the most, followed closely by Carmen.

I think the things Tibby learned were really profound and important. I feel she really grew the most over the course of the story, even if it wasn't as visible a growth as the others.

I went into this knowing that Bailey was going to die because my mom accidentally spoiled it many years ago when I was excited that there was a character with my name in a movie. She then told me I probably wouldn't want to watch it because she dies. I was waiting for it. I feel like it was a little anti-climatic and I feel like it was really breezed over. I feel that way about a lot of the characters lowest moments. That they were kind of breezed over and very quick. Then again, I'm glad it was because no one really wants to read a huge downer as a summer read.

I gave this book a 3.5/5. Because I really truly enjoyed it and I loved the characters but still it wasn't the most touching piece of literature I'd ever read. But it did exactly what I wanted it to.

I'm incredibly excited to be starting the 2nd book on Friday. And to watch the movie. Of course I'll be continuing!

Baylee Miller (thatblushingbookgirl) Carrisa wrote: "This is definitely one of my favorite summer reads now!

The first book was so cute, summery and at times very swoon-worthy and romantic. I was getting butterflies in my stomach when Eric was talki..."

As far as love interests go I wasn't a fan of Eric- just because I knew there was no way it would end good probably. But Paul made me swoon. I'm really hoping to see more of him in the next books. I enjoyed the idea of Kostos too but I still feel like I don't know enough about him.

I was really sad and slightly disturbed when she buried the guinea pig with Bailey but I realize that it was the right thing. I'm glad she didn't just keep it in the freezer.

Abigail Street | 10 comments i did really enjoy this book, gave me a pleasing feel inside.

Although i knew about the death it still shocked me a little, however i feel it was slightly rushed there did not seem to be any true emotions there. but i do have to remember the target audience i suppose.

i was invested in all of the girls stories just as much as when i originally started the book, in some ways i wanted to have longer segments instead of the constant changes in point of view. however this it did not alter my reading experience.

i have given the book a 4 out of 5 stars as i feel that a couple of the story endings in this book were cut short of being truly finished, but other than that it was a fantastic summer read... i cannot wait to start book number 2 tonight

Baylee Miller (thatblushingbookgirl) Abigail wrote: "i did really enjoy this book, gave me a pleasing feel inside.

Although i knew about the death it still shocked me a little, however i feel it was slightly rushed there did not seem to be any true ..."

I know what you mean about the death being rushed. It was basically like 'She died. We went to a funeral and cried. We don't really talk about it much anymore.'

Elina Tola (Bookeliina) (elinatola) I had read it before, but ending still made me so sad. I have not read other books previously, so I'm not sure what to expect - it is going to be interesting.

McKinlay i had read this before but in my mind i guess i had remembered the movie better than the book. i think reading it at 33 is very different from me reading it way back when i was 21? and even then i was still above the target reading group. so i'm a little more jaded now, and i like all the boys a little less. like, Eric was shady AF right? and the Lena/Kostos relationship is way too fast! it makes no sense. that being said, i still loved it. i can put away my skepticism for a bit, and enjoy this wonderful series.

E.E. (eehornburg) | 32 comments Mod
The end of this book just makes me want to cry. I want to take these girls out for coffee or ice cream or whatever and listen to their stories and cry with them and hug them. Just.... ugh. Seriously. All four have made me an emotional mess this morning.

I definitely felt like with Eric and Kostos as romantic interests, they could have been done better. With Eric, it's such a weird situation (but still, poor Bee. She breaks my heart EVERY TIME whether it's the book or the movie.) and with Kostos we didn't get to know him well. But I'm so proud of Lena for being brave though! And in a way... that's high school romance though. When I think back on high school and how I felt back then that I knew those guys SO WELL. But in reality, our conversations were short and I really knew nothing. So... in that sense it's kind of accurate.

Tibby - OH TIBBY. It's so awful with Bailey and Mimi and it's heartbreaking. Even though you know it's going to happen, it's still so sad when it does.

Then Carmen, I was so proud of her when she finally admitted to being mad at her dad because that was what he needed to finally wake up. And I love the interaction with Paul.

I also love that Lena went to get Bridget at the end. Like, it's totally unrealistic that would be able to happen, but I liked it because Bee needed that. Again, that girl gets me every time. IDK what it is, but my heart always aches for Bridget.

Mom2triplets04 | 12 comments Finally finished this today! I enjoyed 1/2 of it. Liked 2 of the girls. Gave it a 4 star dropping down a star due to the fact that the changing POV's without warning drove me crazy! Lol

Tibby - was my favorite along with Bailey. It was so sad when Bailey died. Also when her Ginnie pig died and she put it in the freezer yuck! Gross. Glad she buried it later.

Carmen my 2nd favorite. Glad she went to the wedding. I was hoping her and Paul would get together.

Lena - glad she and her skinny dipping partner were friends at the end. Don't they believe in bathing suits? Lol. And why in the world did she travel to meet Bridget like what the heck was her problem. The whole time I was thinking she got pregnant so that's why she wasn't feeling well. I was so wrong! It just didn't make sense that she let her sister travel alone home! Like weren't they going home anyway summer was ending!

Bridget - she was my least favorite probably because I'm not into sports and all she ever thought about was sex with her counselor. Isn't it like forbidden like a student and teacher thing? I must have missed her mom dying did that already happen because I don't remember reading it or having any feelings toward that. And he kept pushing her away and then I read that they already had sex guess I missed it lol. I'm so used to reading adult books that I guess it was just applied that it happened. I saw no chemistry between them two. Wonder if the movie will do a better job.

Hope to start next book tonight. Thanks for choosing this book because I probably wouldn't Have read it.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Baylee wrote: "As far as love interests go I wasn't a fan of Eric- just because I knew there was no way it would end good probably. But Paul made me swoon. I'm really hoping to see more of him in the next books. ..."

SAME. I just wasn't a fan of Eric. As flirtatious and pretty as Bridget is, I felt he acted irresponsibly toward her. Especially when in the end he says he wouldn't have slept with her if he knew she was inexperienced. THEN WHY DIDN'T HE ASK? They literally knew nothing about each other. But I liked how he handled things in the end. He didn't just avoid her, seemed to care she was downward spiraling, acknowledged his own fault and closed that door for now.

And Paul was the most surprising male character to me. He'd come out of nowhere and say something thoughtful. I'd like to see more of him too.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Abigail wrote: i feel that a couple of the story endings in this book were cut short of being truly finished ..."

I felt the same. The sections all seemed to end abruptly, and then the book did the same.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Mckinlay wrote: "like, Eric was shady AF right? and the Lena/Kostos relationship is way too fast! it makes no sense. ..."

YES! And yes!

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) I finished last night. Wooo, coming it right under the wire for the book I'm hosting! Haha.

Tibby - As much as her storyline is probably the most important, I've just never really connected with her or Bailey in the movie or book. Maybe because I had already experienced grief at that age? I'm not sure, but I just don't know what to say about her part of the book.

Lena - I didn't understand her feelings for Kostos, this was a case of telling and not showing. But I appreciated her long winded, awkward rambling at the end because that would so have been me.

Bridget - I've never connected with Bridget except for over the loss of her mom, but while I know to read into her depression, I didn't think the book explored her grief very well - or at least not to my personal satisfaction. It wasn't 'incorrect' or anything, and I don't know that anything bigger would have fit in with this book but it just felt like a big chunk on her story was missing.

Carmen - I think Carmen ended up being my favorite! Her emotional turmoil was REAL. I don't think she always handled things well, or fairly, but I remember feeling so deeply at that age. Carmen shows up when things are rough. She went to her dad's wedding, and then she went to Bailey's funeral to support Tibby.

I loved how the book showed friendships that show up for each other even when their own worlds are falling apart.

It was interesting to me how we saw each character go through a depression.

But... why could the pants never be washed? I'm sorry but Bridget played soccer in them and Carmen was traipsing through muddy woods. They were probably stanky. I'd break that rule! LOL.

Oh, also. I didn't really like or understand the quotes scattered throughout the book. I thought they would end up being things the girls wrote on the pants but they were just random. And some of them were from real people, but some where from characters in the book. I just don't get it.

Mom2triplets04 | 12 comments Yeah the quotes didn't make sense to me either. It like brought me out of the story each time I read them.

Siiri (smmason14) | 15 comments I ended up rating the book 3/5 because I did like it but I wanted more from it. When I read it in high school, I loved it, I think it was just the right amount. I guess now that I'm older with more experience in life I see more flaws with it.

Most of the story lines felt like they were rushed and over in a blink. The POV changed super fast and I agree the quotes confused me! But it is a great light beach read. I just wish there would have been more development into what the girls are dealing with. So many heavy topics, the book would be so long if she went further into each of them. That being said I wish she made it a bit longer and dove into a few. I'm hoping to see the series go deeper in the later books and hopefully not just add more to the surface.

Bailey's death was sad, but it didn't move me to tears. I felt for Tibby but not deeply. That can be said for Carmen, and Bridget as well. Probably because it didn't get developed enough. Lena was played as mama bird but I'm sure her time is coming and another girl will fill that role for her.

I don't like any of the guys in this story, Eric reminds me of the stereotypical college guy, I wanted to shout so many things at that boy. Kostos we barely saw any of him to make a judgement. I feel like Lena was much like me at that age majorly crushing from afar. And I don't want the Paul and Carmen thing to happen. I guess it weirds me out a bit, why can't she just have an awesome brother and friend? Oh wait, except Brian maybe, from what I saw I liked him. I guess geek is my type.

So I'd say a pretty decent start, I want more! And I'm really enjoying reminiscing on the story. I don't recall anything from books 2-4 though, but we will see if once I start reading my memory jogs!

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Margaret wrote: "So many heavy topics, the book would be so long if she went further into each of them. That being said I wish she made it a bit longer and dove into a few...."

THIS! This really sums up my feelings. The book brings up many heavy and important topics and on the one hand it was amazing to see them being done, but it did them shallowly in my opionion. It was like we were being told these characters were super deep but not actually being shown that depth.

Carmen, I think, is the one exception for me. I got the most out of her storyline. I knew exactly why she felt what she felt, and saw her emotional journey. The only thing lacking there for me was any real reconciliation with her father and his new wife. Him crying and saying he was sorry wasn't big enough to really SHOW me that anything would change. Especially when Lydia seems so unaware of how she treated Carmen unfairly in things.

message 18: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. | 5 comments I went into this assuming it was going to be straight up contemporary fluff. And then it was all "HAHAHAHAHA, NO. LOOK AT ALL THESE SERIOUS ISSUES!!". So...it was a lot feelsier than I was expecting it to be.

Totally agree about the quotes pulling me out of the story. I ended up just skipping them by about half way through because they clearly didn't add anything to the plot!

I think Tibby was probably my favourite of the girls?? I was torn between wanting to strangle Bridget and wanting to sit her down and be like "GIRL. HERE ARE A STRING OF LIFE LESSONS ABOUT WHY ALL OF THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA", because nooooooooooo do not chase that 19 year old guy OMG STOP.

I actually think I would have liked the book better if it had been divided into quarters and each told one story through chronologically, rather than it jumping between the characters all the time... Ultimately, it came out at 3.5 stars for me.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) It seems like a lot of us have mentioned not liking the POV changes in this first book. I am listening to the second book on audio right now and the changes (and quotes) are done in the same way and it's SO confusing because there is barely any pause by the narrator so one minute I'm listening to Bridget and then all of a sudden we're in Lena's story. To me, the audio does illustrate the weakness of the format.

message 20: by Tayj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tayj Smiles | 5 comments I loved this book and the ending so much! 4.5 out of 5 stars, I found it hard to follow all the different girls and their stories. Im totally invested into the story and have moved onto The second summer.
Heres the link to my book review : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkN-6...
I Hope you guys enjoy it :)