Write, Wrote, Written II discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ella (new)

ella  | 48 comments Ooh, this sounds amazing! Can't wait to read more!

message 2: by Ruby, I write. (new)

Ruby (rubyyy) | 174 comments Mod
Yeah, this sounds really good! WRITE.

message 3: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Thanks!!! I'm excited to do this. Hopefully it gets me back in the groove of things.

message 4: by emma (new)

emma | 72 comments Nice job with the summary, I'm looking forward to to seeing where this goes!

I like the first chapter, but my first impression of the narrator is a bit unclear. He starts off humorous and sarcastic, almost good-natured, and then is abruptly overtaken by rage. I think you could improve this chapter by making him more consistent. For example, you could develop the part when he becomes angry to make the buildup to his outburst more clear and understandable. Or, you could edit the beginning to make his humor more bitter, so that he seems like the kind of person who would be likely to lash out suddenly.

message 5: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Emma wrote: "Nice job with the summary, I'm looking forward to to seeing where this goes!

I like the first chapter, but my first impression of the narrator is a bit unclear. He starts off humorous and sarcasti..."

Thanks!! I actually had the same feeling, so I'm grateful it wasn't just me.

message 6: by emma (last edited Jun 23, 2016 07:43AM) (new)

emma | 72 comments Nice job on the edits, I think the first chapter is a lot stronger!

I'm a little confused, how long has it been since Natenska saw her father? Also, why is Natenska a nickname for Anastasia?

message 7: by em_panada (last edited Jun 23, 2016 06:23AM) (new)

em_panada Thank you! Yes, it is a definite improvement, so thanks for bringing it up in your last comment.

To your first question, it has been five years (as mentioned in the first part). So she's fifteen now. Again, not a huge gap, but enough for them to see familiarities, and to be a bit shocked by each other's appearances.

Natenska is the dimunitive form of Anastasia.

message 8: by emma (new)

emma | 72 comments Oh, okay! I missed the time skip the first time I read it, that makes more sense.

That's interesting, I don't know much about Russian names. Looking forward to the next chapter! :)

message 9: by emma (new)

emma | 72 comments I think the third chapter is missing?

message 10: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Nope, you just have to click "spoiler" :)

message 11: by emma (new)

emma | 72 comments Oh okay, I don't think that works on my phone so I'll have to look at it on my computer later. Thanks!

message 12: by Ruby, I write. (new)

*claps* Very good! I can't wait to read more!

I am confused, though, is this your writing or are you simply posting someone else's? It seems like your writing style, but I'm not sure...

message 13: by em_panada (new)

em_panada It is mine. :)

I do want to make a few more changes so you can better understand where it's taking place and I would like to have a bit more of the Russian culture, but I'm lazy. :P

I think Im going to incorporate some Slavic mythology later on.

message 14: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Thanks too! I'm glad you like it so far!!

message 15: by Ruby, I write. (new)

Okay, okay, yeah

Oooooh... :)

message 16: by emma (new)

emma | 72 comments Chapter 3:
I really enjoyed this chapter, the descriptions were great! And Anastasia's character was so strong during her conversation with her father, I loved that scene. :) My only critique would be that the ending felt a little sudden. Anastasia was so angry with her father, I think it would take a little longer for that emotion to fade. Maybe she could end the conversation after he says the line about them being blood, and then think about that when she's alone and decide to forgive him. After all, it's a pretty big decision she's making, leaving her life to go serve a mysterious lord.

Chapter 4:
The writing on the wall was so interesting, and kind of eerie at the same time. The double POV is working really well! So many books I read with multiple narrators struggle to write in distinct voices, but I think you've done a great job of distinguishing the voices of Anastasia and Nikolay.

Can't wait for more! :)

message 17: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Yeah. I felt the last part lacking in Chapter 3 too. :( I'll fix it later.

And I'm glad the POVs are good, that was one of my concerns. So yay!!! Victory!! The writing on the wall is one of my favorite bits of the Russian version. I do want to expand that scene.

message 18: by emma (new)

emma | 72 comments The original story sounds really interesting, I'm gonna have to go look it up now! :)