The Summer of the Sisterhood Readalong discussion

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
Book 1 Readalong (July 1-7) > [Book1] Part 2 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trina (Between Chapters) (last edited Jun 21, 2016 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Part 2 covers pages 73-149 in the green cover edition, or up to the quote page that says: "If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully throughout the entire catalog - Sears Roebuck catalog"

Remember to only share spoilers for this section and not beyond!

Let's discuss!
-What are your thoughts on the book so far?
-What are you hoping will happen in the second half?

Mom2triplets04 | 12 comments Still only connecting with two characters. I dislike when it skips povs within a chapter which confuses me.

My predictions

I think Carmen and Paul will be a thing at the end.

I also feel a sadness coming about Bailey. So sad she is sick but glad she made friends with tibby even though they are way different ages.

Requested the movie from library hope it comes this week. My daughter is dying to see it. She read the book last year.

It is fun when I find a think note from my daughter on page 108. It's a quote she wrote down "this is the most perfect moment of my life" lol

Shelly (collyofthewobbles) | 8 comments Mom2triplets04 wrote: It is fun when I find a think note from my daughter on page 108. It's a quote she wrote down "this is the most perfect moment of my life" lol

Wow that's so perfect, I love that.

I have trouble when it skips POV's too, which it had a name by it. You kinda have to work out who's talking by what they were doing last or who is around them. It's very disorientating.

Desmondella (treasuryoftomes) I'm still loving the book! It's such a cute story. Ann Brashares is such a wonderfully descriptive writer. I adore her writing style. She also captures the teenage voice and mentality/personality amazingly. If you were unsure of her general age originally, one might assume she was younger herself.

I hope that Carmen finds peace with her dad's new family situation and just gives them all a chance although, I can understand her frustration towards her father for not warning her about his "new life" as well as her jealousy towards not having her dad all to herself anymore.

I am also rooting for Tibby and Bailey's friendship to take flight. I know that Tibby is hesitant to be friends with Bailey due to her young age but Bailey definitely needs a friend at this point in the book due to her circumstances. I feel like something horribly sad might happen to Bailey.

As for Bridget, I hope that Eric gives her a shot even though he's a lot older. You can tell he likes her and wants to pursue something with her but since it's against the soccer camp rules, he's basically forbidden to have a relationship of any kind with her.

I hope that Lena forgives Kostos even though what he did was very wrong. He *is* a teenage boy, but that still doesn't give him an excuse to do what he did. That aside, I think Lena is nervous to trust guys and she might possibly think that she's not good enough for them based on her general opinions on how all guys are. Kostos seems like he *does* have good intentions even though he stepped out of line and he seems to really like Lena. I feel sad for him because he's trying so incredibly hard to show Lena that he's a good guy and he's attempting to pursue something with her but Lena seems like a very sensitive person as well as an introvert so Kostos will really have to prove himself, apologize and just give Lena lots of time to get comfortable with him.

I can't wait to see what happens next! :)

Jennifer (kannikasuki) | 2 comments I have begun to form more of a fondness towards Tibby and definitely look forward to watching the tentative friendship with Bailey blossom.

I hope that Bridget gives up on the relationship with Eric, although it seems unlikely. I just can't get behind a relationship between a 15 and a 19 year old.

I would like to see Carmen accept and become close to her new soon to be extended family.

I would also like for Lena to smooth things over between her and Kostos' families. It seems to me that he was just startled at spotting her skinny dipping and stared for longer than he should have. He seemed decent previously, despite her often icy demeanor. I understand her apprehension based on some of her previous experiences with men; however, I do think her hasty categorization of Kostos as a disrespectful man was unwarranted.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Mom2triplets04 wrote: "It is fun when I find a think note from my daughter on page 108. It's a quote she wrote down "this is the most perfect moment of my life" lol"

That's so cute! I like when I read books from family or friends where they've underlined or made a note so I can see what stood out to them.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Shelly wrote: "I have trouble when it skips POV's too, which it had a name by it. You kinda have to work out who's talking by what they were doing last or who is around them. It's very disorientating. "

I agree! I wish that the sections had the character names at the top, or that each character got a whole chapter. The chapter breaks don't make a lot sense to me in terms of rhythm. All the POV changes serve as a break in the pace already, and yet we never seem to get all 4 POVs in a single chapter.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Carrisa wrote: "Ann Brashares is such a wonderfully descriptive writer. I adore her writing style. She also captures the teenage voice and mentality/personality amazingly."

I'm not finding the writing very descriptive myself, but I definitely agree that Brashares has captures the teen mentality very well! I love a line from Carmen where she know she's acting bratty but just can't help it. I definitely remember feeling like I wasn't in control of my emotions at that age.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Jennifer wrote: "I hope that Bridget gives up on the relationship with Eric, although it seems unlikely. I just can't get behind a relationship between a 15 and a 19 year old."

I sort of agree with this! Even if it weren't forbidden by the camp rules about coaches and campers, the age difference is just a really tricky one where I'm from. 4 years isn't normally a big deal except that one is a minor and the other is an adult. Even people who go to the same high school but are 17 and 18 get into legal trouble of relationships in the US. I'm pretty wary of their relationship right now.

Baylee Miller (thatblushingbookgirl) I'm really enjoying this a lot so far. It's very summery and I'm super invested in the characters.

In the second half I'm hoping to hear more stories about Tibby working her sucky job but I want her to become better friends with Bailey and film her movie.

I want Carmen to yell at her dad and have good "closure" over his new relationship and then get over it and become friends with Paul. (I swooned when he asked her if she wanted to play tennis. Kinda made that she just creamed him and didn't seem to appreciate it much.) I want Lena to tell her grandparents the truth and then I want her and the cute guy (can't think of his name right now) to hook up. And Bridget is the only story line I can't really get behind too hard because she's a lot bolder than I am.

Baylee Miller (thatblushingbookgirl) Trina (Between Chapters) wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I hope that Bridget gives up on the relationship with Eric, although it seems unlikely. I just can't get behind a relationship between a 15 and a 19 year old."

I sort of agree wit..."

Yeah the age difference is really not great. I mean, when I was about 16 I had a crush on a guy that was way older than me and it's really a great thing nothing ever became of it. So, I'm kind of hoping the same happens to her.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Baylee wrote: "Trina (Between Chapters) wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I hope that Bridget gives up on the relationship with Eric, although it seems unlikely. I just can't get behind a relationship between a 15 and a 1..."

Yes, it's really hard to see the difference when you are that age, but as an adult now I know there was a huge difference between me at 15 and me at 19. You do so much changing so quickly in the teen years. I have to question why he'd be into a 15 year old. Or even 16 since he thinks that's how old she is.

Emily (eehornburg) | 32 comments Mod
Trina (Between Chapters) wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I hope that Bridget gives up on the relationship with Eric, although it seems unlikely. I just can't get behind a relationship between a 15 and a 19 year old."

I sort of agree wit..."

I always have such back and forth feelings about Bridget and Eric. Part of me gets SO FRUSTRATED with her because I'm like "girl, no, stop, this isn't good." But part of me is really drawn to Bridget, probably because I always wanted the guy I couldn't have when I was her age too, and I wished I had the guts and drive she did. (And being tall with pretty magic hair...lol)

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) Emily wrote: "I always have such back and forth feelings about Bridget and Eric. Part of me gets SO FRUSTRATED with her because I'm like "girl, no, stop, this isn't good." But part of me is really drawn to Bridget..."

I think the older love interest who happens to be in a position of authority over someone who is school aged is just one of those things that skeeves me out forever and always.

Emily (eehornburg) | 32 comments Mod
Trina (Between Chapters) wrote: "Emily wrote: "I always have such back and forth feelings about Bridget and Eric. Part of me gets SO FRUSTRATED with her because I'm like "girl, no, stop, this isn't good." But part of me is really ..."

Oh yeah, it'd definitely not okay, and it kind of says something about having younger college students as counselors for these types of camps for high school students. Because while the age difference is big, it's also not that big. College students and high school students become interested in each other often, even though they shouldn't. I had a lot of friends in college who were counselors, and usually it wasn't a problem because most of the camps were elementary school kids. But I know that since so many of them went to those camps for YEARS and eventually became counselors when they got older, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those teenage girls tried to flirt with the older college guys. I've learned camp friends and relationships can be really intense. I'm sure it's common for the campers to have crushes on the counselors, but when there's only a few years difference... I can see how it would make things difficult. Not that it's right, but I see how it would happen. So... again, this is my long way of saying that it makes me wonder if there should be more age restrictions on how old counselors need to be and such.

Siiri (smmason14) | 15 comments I am loving the reread so far! And since it is a reread I won't make any predictions since I remember several major plot lines from this first book. The other books in the series should be lots of fun though because I don't remember them as well! This one it just feels comforting reading about these girls again.
I do agree that sometimes I have to ask myself wait whose POV is this. But as I'm getting farther in its easier. And the first sentence most of the time states either her name of a character associated with her story.
Currently I think I care least about Bridget's story line which is interesting because I'm pretty sure she was my favorite growing up because she was athletic and I wanted to be as outgoing as she is.
We will see if that changes since even though we are half way through I feel like we've barely dived into them as characters.