VT Christian Reading Challenge discussion

Book Recommendations 2016 > A book from a theological viewpoint you disagree with

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments The Judaizing Calvin, by Aegidius Hunnius, Paul A. Rydecki (Translator), James D. Heiser (Introduction) is a book I posted first under the heading of A Book More than 100 years old and the review is posted there.

message 2: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments I am a confessional Lutheran and I needed to know how to discuss the more liberal versions of Lutheranism with friends and how the more orthodox branch (to which I belong) differs. My pastor recommended What's Going on Among the Lutherans? A Comparison of Beliefs, by Patsy A. Leppien, J. Kincaid Smith. It's very good reading, informative, educational and practical.

message 3: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments I was hoping for more substance when I came across this book title, but it was a short read and purveys the Calvinistic take on things accurately: Constitutional Authority in a Postmodern Culture, by Martin Murphy.

message 4: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments War Psalms of the Prince of Peace (Paperback), by James E. Adams -- definitely from the Calvinist approach, but some good points to ponder

message 5: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments To the Glory of God: A 40-Day Devotional on the Book of Romans, by James Montgomery Boice -- Good reading -- from Calvinist perspective. I could get Luther's take from the Scripture's context and found things to appreciate from Boice' comments.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 38 comments I've got two recommendations. One is Healed of Cancer and the other is The Answer to Bad Religion Is Not No Religion: A Guide to Good Religion for Seekers, Skeptics, and Believers. Both books give you a LOT to disagree with!

message 7: by Nelleke (last edited Nov 13, 2016 07:43PM) (new)

Nelleke Plouffe | 10 comments I read Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith by Kathleen Norris for this category. I come from a very different place than her and we would disagree on some foundational things, but I found this book very thought-provoking and well worth reading.

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor Muthoka (hundredpercent) | 9 comments Nelleke wrote: "I read Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith by Kathleen Norris for this category. I come from a very different place than her and we would disagree on some foundational things, but I ..."

And you've just introced me to this book. It'll be def one I'll be reading while actovely pondering thiughts I differ with. Thank you.