Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Rubyfruit Jungle
This topic is about Rubyfruit Jungle
Questions > Two Books with Same ISBN

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kari Jo (freudigmk09) | 21 comments Is it possible to have two prints of a book with the same ISBN?

I'm talking specifically Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown (055327886X). The copy that comes up when you search that ISBN has the same cover as my copy but lists 10 extra pages and an earlier publishing date than my copy.

The page count on Goodreads generally reflects the number listed on the last numbered page. In this instance, it's possible they are counting the 5 pages that are unnumbered (equaling 10 front/back).

However, I do not note a 1983 publishing date in my book, which is what the page suggests.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Kari Jo wrote: "Is it possible to have two prints of a book with the same ISBN?"

Yes. See https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/8...

Kari Jo (freudigmk09) | 21 comments rivka wrote: "Kari Jo wrote: "Is it possible to have two prints of a book with the same ISBN?"

Yes. See https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/8..."

Thanks for the info. Should I consider it an alternative cover addition then even though the cover image is actually the same?

message 4: by lethe (last edited Jun 21, 2016 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

lethe | 13669 comments No, if the ISBN and the cover are the same there is no need for an alternative cover edition.* WorldCat has 246 pages for this edition, have changed to that. You might well be right that the difference is made up by the blank pages.

(In the changelog I see that bots have changed it from 256 to 246 and back again, so it was not changed book-in-hand.)

*For year of publication, we stick to the earlier date.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
It sounds like it's probably just another printing. We don't usually add separate editions for those.

Kari Jo (freudigmk09) | 21 comments Okay thank you all for helping me understand. :)