Creative Writing discussion

organisation > mod chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by juno. (new)

juno. (junosummers) | 89 comments Mod
moderators chat here!

message 2: by juno. (last edited Jun 20, 2016 10:56PM) (new)

Hi, so I was thinking the challenges folder needs better organisation and I did some mockups of what it could look like the other day? if no one replies in three days I'm gonna assume I have the go ahead. I have a sample of what it can look like.

message 3: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) I know the challenges need better organization. I was just getting something up for people

message 4: by juno. (new)

Yeah, so can I fix it, or?

message 5: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) What was your idea first?

message 6: by juno. (last edited Jun 20, 2016 10:37PM) (new)

1. A thread explaining the monthly challenge.

Contents:

The monthly writing challenge lasts from the first to last day of the month. These challenges change in prompt, word count and rules, so be sure to check them every time!

During the challenge:

Please post your challenge entry in the same thread as the challenge and put it under spoilers, preferably with proper blockquote formatting too. You should write the number of entry, i.e. the next number after the person who posted above you, as well as your name. Here's an example:

entry #01 — Juno

(view spoiler)

After the challenge:

And now, you wait. The winner(s) of the challenge will be announced within the first ten days of the next month, and the new challenge will be put up as soon as possible.

The amount of winners per challenge wholly depends on the amount of people who enter. All winners will receive a critique of their work. If you would like to know what you could do better next time, please ask for one through PM to (one of us??? idk), though please know that the mods are not obliged to do a critique if they are too busy in real life to do so personally.

2. A thread for theme/idea suggestions

3. For each month's challenge

Creative Writing is hosting a monthly writing challenge this July! The rules are as follows:
Theme: Album Fiction
Description: Write a novella/any other kind of fiction and each chapter represents one song from one particular album. The album and song names do not count to the overall word count
Word Limit: 1000 words
Rules:
— no plagiarising
— stay within the word limit
— do not go off topic but creativity within the limits of the theme is encouraged
— proper grammar and spelling please! lapslock is acceptable
— due to the nature of this challenge, it would be helpful if you could format your entry like so:

entry #01 — Juno — album name

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) The idea is good. one thing. no block quoting should be necessary. not everyone does it or knows who to do it. maybe there should be a thread to teach people how to use coding...

message 8: by juno. (last edited Jun 20, 2016 10:45PM) (new)

It's literally so easy though. It's literally just <.blockquote> at the very start of your post. That's all you need to do.

message 9: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) a lot of people actually don't understand that. trust me

message 10: by juno. (new)

I mean, I could LITERALLY copy and paste a template for them to use.

message 11: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) Probably and some people still wouldn't get it. its sad. I know

message 12: by juno. (new)

I...I fail to grasp the concept of how hard Copy and Paste is...

message 13: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) I know.

message 14: by juno. (new)

You know what, I'm going to make a template AND explain the blockquote in the post. If I explain it twice it shouldn't be that hard to grasp. Okay?

message 15: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) possibly

message 16: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) In it cruelly awake rn, (I am but I'm going back to bed in a min) but I just want to point out that some people, like me, might be on mobile and expecting them to do the blockquoting is a little rude (and also you came across as very condescending earlier bye).

message 17: by juno. (new)

I suppose we could make exceptions for mobile users (though I'm pretty sure you can still use the blockquote tag on mobile? I mean I've posted stuff on mobile with blockquote and it works perfectly fine for me, both for posting and reading. But it could just be my device and I have no idea how it shows up on other devices so please forgive me if I don't know how it shows up on other devices. I would understand if spoilers would be a problem for people who want to read entries on mobile, but 1000 words gets pretty long to scroll through, both on a computer and on a mobile device. And I'm sorry if you found that I came across as condescending; it was just my opinion, and if I'm wrong or misinformed, please tell me.)

message 18: by juno. (new)

If it really bothers people that much, we can take away the blockquoting element altogether.

Also, I scrolled up to check what I wrote; I said "preferably with proper blockquote formatting" and not "it has to be necessary". I can still make a template plus explain the blockquote if people don't mind adding it, and as it says, preferable means optional.

message 19: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I do not recall that from earlier, and I think that's a good option. I'm on the app, and have no idea if formatting works or not. I can try to find out. About the condescending part: it seemed as though you were judging those who might not know that as stupid when there could be many reasons that they didn't know that. I for example didn't know because no one took the time to explain.

Also, I'm confused about the word count here. Is it that many for the whole thing or just one "chapter"? It might be good to clarify that.

And since it seems that I'm in a different time zone than you, or at least on at different times, we should work out who does what.

message 20: by juno. (new)

I've tested it on my phone and it appears to work? But it might just be me, so yeah, it would be nice if you could try to find out! And I'm really sorry it sounded that way. I know I certainly didn't know how to use blockquote when I first came onto this website, which is why I offered to make the template for copy and pasting, as well as explaining how to use blockquote.

About the word count: Yeah, we should definitely clarify that! (See, it hadn't occurred to me when I wrote the post, so it's always nice to have someone double check.) I don't think 1000 words per chapter will fit into one post either, so probably around 1k words for the whole thing, excluding titles. And perhaps vignettes would be better than chapters, because sometimes the song titles don't make sense if you try to make a story out of them.

We're definitely in different time zones. I don't mind being in charge of clearing up the request+rules threads? Or some of them, since there seems to be pretty little work to do other than approving requests and answering questions.

Oh! Another question: Should we have separate threads for people who are looking for beta readers and people who are advertising themselves as beta readers? Or should we just leave it as one, and have separate forms for beta readers and beta seekers?

message 21: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I'll try to find out then! Okay, I agree on the word count. It makes sense that way.

That works! I can do the fanfiction-related threads, they seem pretty easy too. I think it'd be best to have them separated, it might get confusing otherwise. Or, if we don't separate them, have a sight it different application for the two.

message 22: by juno. (new)

Alright, sounds cool to me! :) And yeah, I'll update with that bit of info if we put that up.

Ok so there's the characters thread, fanfiction thread, original thread and brainstorms thread, and I'm assuming we all help answer anything in questions/suggestions, so one of us will have to take two. If Astra doesn't mind they can take the character thread, you can take the fan fiction thread, and I can take the original + brainstorms thread?

message 23: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Sounds good to me!

message 24: by juno. (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:44AM) (new)

For the album challenge, I was wondering if we should limit it to each album being able to be used only once? So like, only one person is allowed to write for the album Save Rock and Roll by Fall Out Boy (we'd probably have to set up claims for this)? Or should repeats be allowed?

message 25: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I don't know. It would be interesting to see how different people use it, you know? Maybe say that it can be used again this time but if we do one of these again it can't? I do think a claim just to see what everyone's planning on doing is a good idea.

message 26: by juno. (new)

Hmmm, yeah, that sounds good! So, you need to claim an album, and if someone else is doing the same album, you're allowed to do that as well. Also, I was wondering if concept albums shouldn't be allowed, but then again it's hard to check against a standard of what counts as a concept album and what doesn't?

message 27: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Yeah, that's what I was thinking! It might be hard to determine that, yeah, unless it's very obvious. So I think all albums are okay.

message 28: by juno. (new)

Oh, also! Some albums are super duper long; should we limit them to using ten tracks only or?

message 29: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Oh good point... Yeah I guess if it's longer than 12 or so tracks we limit it. I think the one I was gonna do is ten or eleven so.

message 30: by juno. (new)

I was thinking maybe if the album is longer than 12 or so tracks, you can choose not to use the whole album or something? Maybe cap it at 12, but you can choose to use less tracks if you wish? Since 12 tracks and 1000 words mean about 83 words per track, which frankly isn't a lot. :P

message 31: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Yeah, that sounds good. And it leaves room to pick which tracks you would want to do most of it has that many.

message 32: by juno. (new)

Yup, sounds good to me! So we'll give you free reign on how many you want to do if there are more than 12 tracks? Also, should there be a minimum? I mean, I think as long as it's not a single, there should be enough songs on the album XD

message 33: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Well there are EPs, which are shorter. How about a minimum of 5? And I think you should still be required to do at least nine or so if your album is more than 12.

message 34: by juno. (new)

Yup, that sounds perfect! So, a range of 5-12 songs, and at least 9 if your album is longer than 12? Otherwise, write for all the songs?

message 35: by juno. (new)

Also, here's the edited version before I put them up. Please tell me if there are any mistakes!

1. A thread explaining the monthly challenge.

The monthly writing challenge lasts from the first to last day of the month. These challenges change in prompt, word count and rules, so be sure to check them every time!

During the challenge:

Please post your challenge entry in the same thread as the challenge and put it under spoilers, preferably with blockquote formatting too. You should write the number of entry, i.e. the next number after the person who posted above you, as well as your name. Here's an example:

entry #01 — username

(view spoiler)

After the challenge:

And now, you wait. The winner(s) of the challenge will be announced within the first ten days of the next month, and the new challenge will be put up as soon as possible.

The amount of winners per challenge wholly depends on the amount of people who enter. All winners will receive a critique of their work. If you would like to know what you could do better next time, please ask for one through PM to (one of us??? idk), though please know that the mods are not obliged to do a critique if they are too busy in real life to do so personally.

2. A thread for theme/idea suggestions

3. For each month's challenge

Creative Writing is hosting a monthly writing challenge this July! If you have any questions, please ask us in the Questions and Suggestions thread. The rules are as follows:
Theme: Album Fiction
Description: Write a series of vignettes/flash fiction/chapters representing one song from one particular album. The album and song names do not contribute towards the overall word count, but must be included within the text so that the judges know which part was inspired by which song.
Word Limit: 1000 words in total.
Rules:
— no plagiarising
— stay within the word limit
— do not go off topic but creativity within the limits of the theme is encouraged
— proper grammar and spelling please! lapslock is acceptable
— due to the nature of this challenge, it would be helpful if you could format your entry like so:

entry #01 — username — album name

(view spoiler)

Please edit the number according to who you're under (e.g. if the person who posted above you is #02, you should write "entry #03"), the "username" to your name, and "album name" to the album you're writing for.

If you need help with how to format, click this link to copy and paste the HTML, or copy and paste from here, but remove the .

<.blockquote>

<.i>entry #01 — username — album name<./i>

<.spoiler>

<.b>Track 1. Song name<./b>
Some text that follows the requirements of the monthly challenge goes here.

<.b>Track 2. Song name<./b>

<.b>Track 3. Song name<./b>

<.b>Track 4. Song name<./b>

<.b>Track 5. Song name<./b>

<./spoiler>

message 36: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Looks great! Everything seems good

message 37: by juno. (new)

Alrighty! :) Should I put it up now, or wait till Astra's given it a glance through too?

message 38: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) It might be good to wait, she what she has to add :)

message 39: by juno. (new)

Sure! I might head to bed soon anyway. ^^

message 40: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) it looks fine. about coding though, at least for me you can't copy and paste and you have to put in the coding by hand though it does work. I think that's the same across a lot of Android devices at least

message 41: by juno. (new)

I had no idea they didn't allow copy and paste! I just type all the coding in if I'm on mobile. :P Well, you learn something new every day! Shall I put it up now?

message 42: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) go ahead.

message 43: by juno. (new)

It's up!

message 44: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Hey, did anyone volunteer to take the beta reader application thread?

message 45: by juno. (new)

I don't think so! I think really we can just let that thread run itself, but we should add the forms to fill in. What fields should we add?

message 46: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Hm. I'm not sure, actually.

message 47: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) I'm also just about to go to bed. So I'll see you when I wake

message 48: by juno. (new)

Hmm, name, experience, what you're willing to do and what you're not willing to?

message 49: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) That sounds good to me!

message 50: by juno. (new)

What about people who are looking for beta readers? What about name, link to thing they want beta read, warnings for content that people might not want to read about (if applicable) and length of the text? Oh, and maybe what they want (e.g. are the characters okay, does the writing flow well, is it too confusing etc)?

« previous 1