Play Book Tag discussion

Master and Commander (Aubrey & Maturin, #1)
This topic is about Master and Commander
Archive: Other Books > Master and Commander / Patrick O'Brian. 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8139 comments Master and Commander / Patrick O'Brian
2 stars

I can't write a summary, except for the bits I read on Wikipedia and/or other reviews. Apparently, this was set during the Napoleonic Wars. A friendship develops over music and a captain(?) and a doctor end up on a ship together? Something along those lines, anyway.

Obviously, I wasn't interested. I listened to the audio, and it was lucky if I paid attention to more than a couple sentences at a time. I liked the movie when I saw it years ago, and I did know that it was based on either later book(s) or a combination of books in the series, but this book? Not even a little bit interesting to me; at least not the audio. Boring.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I had a friend (I guess still have though we have drifted out of touch) and he LOVED these books! But, he was in the Coast Guard, adored history, and so he was enthralled with the maritime history slant.

LibraryCin | 8139 comments Yeah, I could see it being appealing in that case, for sure.

Whenever I listen to an audio, though, I always wonder if it would have been different if I'd read the book instead. I guess I'll never know.

Tricia Nociti My dad read and LOVED this entire series. I tried and just couldn't like it at all. I was bored. But my sister and I did garner a lot of laughs asking him if he was still loving his "seamen" books and other such plays on the word, ad nauseum.

message 5: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Tricia wrote: "My dad read and LOVED this entire series. I tried and just couldn't like it at all. I was bored. But my sister and I did garner a lot of laughs asking him if he was still loving his "seamen" books ..."

I am in a law school class right now on maritime law and we say the word "seaman" approximately 100 times each class. I giggle every time because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old.

LibraryCin | 8139 comments LOL!!!!

LibraryCin | 8139 comments And yes, I do feel like 2 stars was generous. I just don't know if I've ever rated anything 1 star. If I was rating books at the time, I'd probably say Wuthering Heights, but 1 star mostly means "hated" the book, and hate is pretty strong. I probably should have given this one 1,5 stars.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments Nicole wrote: "I am in a law school class right now on maritime law and we say the word "seaman" approximately 100 times each class. I giggle every time because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old. ..."

Many years ago there was a local real estate firm: Head and Seaman.

I remember friends taking pictures of their signs ....